Anybody here affected by US goverment shutdown ?

no one person should be allowed to affect one 300,00,000 people because he is having a hissy fit. He is the president of all the people. Not just the ones who voted for him

Nancy did the right thing. Deal with Trump and he will use this over and over (this is the 3rd shutdown in 2 years!). No way was he expecting her to stare him down and make him back off. Man is she spanking him! Hard to believe he was dumb enough to take responsibility for shutting the government down up front with no cards to play. Very artful dealing, Lol! I was actually expecting him to pull a ribbit out of his hat, never expected that he had nothing, no plays at all.

I was reading this thread and started a post with the facts about how a wall is just a way to burn money for nothing. Then I thought if someone is behind Trump on this facts aren't going to matter.

Did I mention the Republicans had the house, senate, and presidency for 2 years and didn't think this important enough to fund when they could have signed a check for the whole thing ($50 billion)?

Maybe. This is a blink in a colossal game of chicken. Hopefully those on both sides will remember that their silly reindeer games have real life consequences for those outside the beltway, and not let this stupid sh!t happen again.
It’s politics it’s all just a game to all of them. People don’t care about the $$$ 5billion 50 billion is noting in the budget.

As much as I can't stand Trump, he deserves credit for backing down in the interests of the country. Now Chuck and Nancy must follow suit and negotiate in good faith.

As much as I can't stand Trump, he deserves credit for backing down in the interests of the country. Now Chuck and Nancy must follow suit and negotiate in good faith.
They think this was a win over trump. The odds of them negotiating in good faith with trump is about the same as Trump didn’t sleep with Stormy.

Hey , you never
The federal government did this under Reagan as part of the "cost cutting" and privatization trends that were championed by the conservatives then. Let's see, release mentally ill people out onto the street without any supervision or care, and privatize the corrections industry. Hmmm....

The Federal Government is looking like they are doing exactly all of that over here in Australia as well , they have already moved on the mental health areas .

Look, I'm as far from a supporter of the current administration as it is possible to be. I despise his public persona, and I think his style of governing is a dumpster fire. I'm quick to criticize him when he does the wrong things, so it's only fair that I note when he does the right thing. While I'm sure that it's an example of convergent interests, I'll take it.

You have to sometimes tune out the noise and just look around...... you’ll see things for what they really are. This isn’t about a wall or how many billion dollars it costs. It’s about the Democrats not wanting to give Trump what he wants. They will cut off their nose despite their face just to oppose him. They know if he is able to deliver on the promise to his Base of building “The Great Wall” then that will certainly be a dagger in the hearts of the Democratic Party for this upcoming election. That is what this is about. Democrats could give a sh@t less how much or how little $$$ it costs or how many federal workers don’t get paid or parks stay Shut down. They ONLY want to gain an advantage for the upcoming election

Well my good friend, that doesn't make sense. First, you never pay the ransom - even if the kidnapper is the president. This was all about Trump testing Pelosi, that's why he had it waiting for her the minute she walked into office. You are right on one thing it's not about the wall. If Trump really thought the wall was so critical to our security, he would have funded it when he had congress. When he had the money, Trump felt it was more important to give it to his rich friends.

More than 80% of the people say they don't want a wall. Even better than 50% say Pelosi shouldn't give in. So we have a case of a politician showing some backbone and doing exactly what she was elected to do. Remember, the whole point of elected leaders is that they are beholding to the voters. Make no mistake the Democratic party was given the House to stop Trump from doing stupid things, that's what she did.

Yes, $5 billion is not much, but it's a lot of money to spend in 1/10 of the wall Trump's own people say will cost $50 billion. If he believes a wall will work as a barrier, why settle for just 1/10 of a wall?

There is something else to this. Trump had agreed to a bill to fund the gove't until The right wing talking heads called him up and said you are not signing that. We just can't have unelected talk show host controlling policy in this country. Sorry people, Nancy had to put this dog down (dog being the wall for clarity).

Last edited:
Truly great to see you all voice your opinions from your personal perspective , agree to disagree and show respect for each others viewpoint . I am thankful to have read all your thoughts on this subject , so again thank you .
It is 'Australia Day' today , so I will be celebrating that quietly with mates , with a nice cold beer !!

Back