Anybody have an Ear Cannon Air Horn?

I wired my 2 Flamm's and the Stebel on one circuit, direct from the battery to a Bosch (40 amp) relay, with a 40 amp inline fuse.
The original horn circuit is wired to activate the realy, and the horns are all on the 40 amp circuit.
You will need the 40 amps if you are going to run horns like you suggest.
I don't understand the delay, when I hit the horn button, I want all the world to hear it all. :laugh:

Here are the relays, (they are about twice the size of a sugar cube) :
Terminal Supply Company - Product Catalog : RELAYS -> BOSCH RELAYS

I think this is the one I used:
Terminal Supply Company - Product Detail : RELAYS -> BOSCH RELAYS -> 332 019 150

Here is the problem. There is a place for a regular horn, and there is a place for a super loud one. I wouldn't want to scare people when a regular sounding horn is enough.

If I introduce a delay for the loud one only, then I can control the volume of the sound. If I press the horn button for a short time (let's say half a sec), this engages the regular horn. If I keep holding the horn button longer, after a half a sec, the loud horn engages.

I have an idea about schematics. Will post later...

Here is the problem. There is a place for a regular horn, and there is a place for a super loud one. I wouldn't want to scare people when a regular sounding horn is enough.

If I introduce a delay for the loud one only, then I can control the volume of the sound. If I press the horn button for a short time (let's say half a sec), this engages the regular horn. If I keep holding the horn button longer, after a half a sec, the loud horn engages.

I have an idea about schematics. Will post later...

I can sure understand that thinking.
I have used my horn mostly in panic situations, and don't use it other times much.
I have been ahead of big rigs at a red light that turns green and even then they just give a small toot on the air horn to get me moving. I'm slow. :laugh:
You need a delay relay of some sort, that will cut in a time after the button is used.

Last edited:
sorry off subject but I had to mention this switch that was in my last Aerostitch catalog. :thumbsup: I luv some of their gadgets :laugh:

file_2_1.jpg

"Not impressed" thread...

So, I wanted to get one for the car and one for the bike. Ordered one, and finaly got it, and decided to test it. Started the car, took two wires with clips, one end of both wires clipped to the connectors on the horn, another pair holding in my hands, and touched the battery. So, I was like 2 ft away from the horn. I did place the horn so that the sound goes away from me. But you know with sound it doesn't matter much.

I did blow the horn a few times, interchanging with blowing the horn of the car a few times. Ear Cannon was noticeably louder than my regular car horn ('02 Dodge Intrepid), but sounded like your typical dual frequency air horn. I did hold it for a longer duration - like 1 - 2 sec continuously while standing next to it since I had to touch the battery. It was loud, but I didn't hear any ringing in my ears, and it was pretty sustainable.

Frequency wise, this is nothing like a locomotive horn - a bunch of BS. Compactness of the design is a big plus, especially if mounting on a bike. Another side effect of compactness is a quick reaction time - the LESS air to move from the compressor to the horn, the quicker the sound comes ON when you press the button.

I am curious to get a DB meter from ebay and see how loud it is compared to my car horn.

If you replaced the stock horn with one from a car (junkyard), that would work, right? About the same size, and a 12volt system. Anybody?

os the plug and play harness sold on the same website? and does that mean it's plug and play to the old stock horn to where i just remove it, and mount the new horn in the rear tail section.

os the plug and play harness sold on the same website? and does that mean it's plug and play to the old stock horn to where i just remove it, and mount the new horn in the rear tail section.

yes you can put the spades right into the factory plug it comes wired with fuse and relay i had to make my own wires to the plug cause i mounted it in the trunk without cutting the frame just couldn't do it but man loud (OO)!

102_2515.jpg

made by the same company that makes the bad boy horn.
I_277904_CL_1.jpg

Which you can get at harbor freight with a 20% off coupon next to free.

Unless you use a relay to power the horn directly from the battery it won't be loud. The stock circuit is not strong enough to power the horn to the full spec. This is true in some cars as well.

Read the previous post about wiring it with a relay. Not too hard, really.

Man, way to bring the old thread to life...

I mounted it directly to the battery via a relay. Again, all I can say is "Not impressed" as to the the loudness of this air horn.

Let me put it this way: I hate to go to Russian night clubs because their music is so loud, it sometimes hurts my ears and they won't reduce the volume because "that's how they play".

When I try this air horn with the hood opened, and me located 3 ft from it, my ears don't hurt. Even more so, when I drive and play music and honk at someone, I can hear it but not super loud at all - this means that if another driver plays the music and I honk at them, they won't hear it as a super loud one.

Also, the pitch of the horn is pretty high - not low like the locomotive horns have - this is because it is much more difficult to provide a lower frequency loudness.

The only advantage of this horn is its compactness. Obviously it is so much better then a regular horn, be it a car or a bike. I am actually considering ordering another one and putting in the bike (install in my car was a test).

Man, way to bring the old thread to life...

I mounted it directly to the battery via a relay. Again, all I can say is "Not impressed" as to the the loudness of this air horn.

Let me put it this way: I hate to go to Russian night clubs because their music is so loud, it sometimes hurts my ears and they won't reduce the volume because "that's how they play".

When I try this air horn with the hood opened, and me located 3 ft from it, my ears don't hurt. Even more so, when I drive and play music and honk at someone, I can hear it but not super loud at all - this means that if another driver plays the music and I honk at them, they won't hear it as a super loud one.

Also, the pitch of the horn is pretty high - not low like the locomotive horns have - this is because it is much more difficult to provide a lower frequency loudness.

The only advantage of this horn is its compactness. Obviously it is so much better then a regular horn, be it a car or a bike. I am actually considering ordering another one and putting in the bike (install in my car was a test).

I must have missed the relay part completely on your thread. Sorry.

It's just that many riders make the mistake of just plugging in a new horn with just the factory harness and write bad reviews about a perfectly loud horn that just needed more juice.

I installed a Stebel Nautilus horn (which I think is the same as the ear cannon... did they rename it recently?) on my Vstar 1300 and sounds loud! It's even installed under a fake motor cover. Here's the link My vstar 1300 Stebel horn install.

Assuming that they are the same units with a different name, does yours sound like mine? If the tone is the same, just not loud enough, then maybe it's a defective unit?

I was looking for a horn to install on my hayabusa because I didn't think the Stebel's tone went too well with our bikes. I guess I'll have to go with the same route as my Vstar 1300.

My buddy just split the compressor and the horn, mounting the compressor in his trunk. Then he snapped the unit to one of his forks (ensuring there was free travel in all directions). All he needed was some hose and one fitting. Super clean install and loud as heck. I'm going to do the same thing.

Back