Anybody have a hydraulic press? (west/south of Wash DC)

AJAY

Registered
Finally want to address the ridiculous lean of my bike on the sidestand. The other day I had to park where the road was sloping and I could barely straighten the bike to ride away.

I think the best answer is to bend my kickstand a little bit, but for that I need a hydraulic press.

Does anybody have a press somewhere near metro DC that can help me out with this? Somewhere around Fairfax/Springfield would be ideal.

Many thanks!

lean.jpg

press.jpg

did you buy the bike used? if so that stand was modified for a lowered bike
your bike looks stock height, just buy a new stand.

Yeah that bike is leaned over way far. I did kickstand mod on mine and I don't think it leans that much.
A new kickstand can't be that much and I bet you can find one on ebay for ten bucks.

do you have a rear stand? or means of taking off the side stand? you could put it in a vice and beat it with a hammer to get the correct angle....provided the piviot area is not worn out.

Does your kickstand have alot of play in it at the pivot point??? Some kickstand develop a problem there and need to be replaced. Has your kickstand been modified or shortened ??? If sits properly when it's at the folded position bending it to a different angle may make it difficult to use.

Some better pictures of the stand itself folded and deployed may help

I had a whole thread on this a couple of years ago - went to three pages! LOL!

The side stand is stock and there is not excessive play in the pivot. I even measured the length and compared to someone else's kickstand. The tire in the pic is a Shinko Stealth drag tire, but it leans the same with my new Bridgestone something or others (BT23's?).. I looked under the bike but the links appear stock, so no idea why it leans this way.

The presses aren't that expensive, like $100, but nowhere to put it with so much junk in my garage. Still holding out that some kind soul has one nearby. Thanks.

do you have a rear stand? or means of taking off the side stand? you could put it in a vice and beat it with a hammer to get the correct angle....provided the piviot area is not worn out.
Actually, I already tried that, even heating with a propane torch and hitting with a 5lb hammer!

The press is the right way to do it!

Has it had the kickstand mod done? If someone cut too much off front of it it will lean too much.
Why not just get another one?

I believe you have a plane, right? Take it to the mechanic who works on your plane next time you go for a flight. Most A&P's are More than willing to help. I am over in leesburg if that helps. Could also try local machine/ auto mechanic shop.

I had a whole thread on this a couple of years ago - went to three pages! LOL!

The side stand is stock and there is not excessive play in the pivot. I even measured the length and compared to someone else's kickstand. The tire in the pic is a Shinko Stealth drag tire, but it leans the same with my new Bridgestone something or others (BT23's?).. I looked under the bike but the links appear stock, so no idea why it leans this way.

The presses aren't that expensive, like $100, but nowhere to put it with so much junk in my garage. Still holding out that some kind soul has one nearby. Thanks.

You measured the length of yours and compared it to a stock one??? Sorry missed your other thread:laugh:

If Blanca is correct and it's Cast not forged steel, it won't bend. If it breaks you will only be able to park where there is a tree to lean it against.

If you can't find a tree just stop the first dog you spot and ask, he will know were every tree in the neighborhood is located!

If Blanca is correct and it's Cast not forged steel, it won't bend. If it breaks you will only be able to park where there is a tree to lean it against.

If you can't find a tree just stop the first dog you spot and ask, he will know were every tree in the neighborhood is located!

LOL. Yes, it's cast, but cast steel - not cast iron - and steel will bend. I installed a centerstand - one of the best mods ever for a Gen I - so its not a disaster if I mess it up. I guess I could also weld some kind of extension to it, but I don't have a welder either.

Thanks to all for your posts!

Do you know how far ya want it bent and where or were ya just gonna "wing" it? (see what I did there, cause he's a pilot, wing it? Huh? Huh?) I'm here all week folks.

Back