Anybody have a dualsport?

FASTBUSA06

Registered
Thinking about getting klr650 2 ride to work on. got on klr650.net good site they
have problems like anything else just wanted some advice pros n cons.

I have been tinkering with this idea too but looking at the Hondas and Suzukis. I am not sure I want the weight of a 650 though. For my purpose I would be outfitting it with a surf rack for surf outings. There are a lot of DS riders over here. South Bay Riders - Powered by vBulletin they even have a dual sport section. Good luck!

I have some experience with dual sports. I started on a klr250 that I would street ride, trail ride, and even hit the sand dunes a hand full of times. It was too slow on the street and too heavy on the dirt and not enough power on the dunes and too heavy. I then went to a Suzuki DRZ400E that I had plated for the street. It had pretty much all the same problems. Just too slow on the street and too heavy on the dirt and sand. I do not really see the point of dual sport bikes. I now have a Honda CR250 that is light and just rips off road and a gen 1 Hayabusa that is amazing on the street. Have they fixed the KLR650 counter balance problem yet? From what I heard they were basically selling broken bikes off the showroom floors.

Yea thats what i hear they need fixing before u ride it home. But the problems are easy fixes its just
that they should fix those problems.

Depends on what you want it for. If you just want a cheap commuter I'd get a Ninja 250. Can be had cheap, reliable and frankly fun to ride once you get past constantly shifting.

If you want to hit occasional trails too then lots of folks have had good luck with the DRZ mentioned above. I've got a plated WR450F and while I can ride it on the street that's not what it's for. 7K RPM at 60 is just irritating. Main reason I wanted a plated bike is so I can trail ride in parks and forestry roads when the urge strikes.

No experience with the KLR but they seem to have a great rep for the most part.

The fun I have with this thing is so good, it should be illegal.:laugh:

If I try, I can get it to 100mph on pavement, and on the other end it rides up a staircase with ease.

KLR650's are the workhorses of dual sports, but a little heavey and low for true dirt riding.

Lake.jpg

Brown2.jpg

Brown2.jpg

Lake.jpg

I own two KLRs I just did a motard on my 2000 KLR 685..
I have been to Mexico a couple of times riding the Copper Canyon area,
Last year I rode the CDR Canada to Mexico 90% dirt roads, 5000 miles 30 days, cool ride.
Just read up on the KLR 650 on there site and you will be an expert in time.
mikew-klr-wheelie-1.jpg

I was just thinking about it i would love to hit some trails or something, just to have the ability to go off road would be great. Yea the bike is tall n heavy but i would change seat n lower it a bit im not to tall.
Thinking about beater car but those r not cheap anymore and i would have to keep dumping money
into one all the time so a new bike sounds a little better.

KLR's make great dual sports. I've owned two - a 2003 and 2008. The 2003 is a better off road/trail bike and the 2008 is a better on road bike.

I have also owned a DR350, XL250, DRZ400, and now a street legal CRF-450X. I really haven't disliked any of my dual sports - but for what you want, I'd go with a KLR.

The KLR IMO has a great suspension for prolonged on-road type stuff.

I have a heavily modified XR650L. I put way to much money into it and I promised the wife I wouldn't do the same with the busa :laugh: Love it, its just really heavy. Almost as heavy as those KLR's

3-19-11 #2 (800x600).jpg

I LOVE THIS STRAND! I've had two KLR"S, the one I have now I've owned 3 motorcycles since I bought it 10 years ago and will never sell it. I've done 900 mile days on it, went over 11 mountain passes in the Rockies on it and plan a ride to the Klondike and above the Artic Circle in 2 years(retirement celebration trip). I've gotten 54 mpg on hwy with an 18t countershaft spkt. Roessler rear shock and redone front forks, full ceramic Big Gun exhaust, it is such a fun bike. I happen to prefer the pre 2008 model. Like the Busa, it is a cult bike with amazing choices of aftermarket. Go to KLR Forums, KLR World, Baja Designs, Whitehorse products, there are at least 10 companies that do so much for the bike. No, it's not a KTM or Yamaha 450 but you'd be surprised how fast a competent rider can cross country the KLR. Just a few aftermarket fixes and you're ready! (doohicky spring, front fork brace, exhaust). Raydog

P1000907.JPG

P1000701.JPG

P1010574.JPG

P1000706.JPG

P1000909.JPG

P1020906.JPG

[ The stock KLR pulls about 38 HP I have done a lot of work on mine and with the 685 kit I can say I am sure I am making 39 H/P. Its not about HP but the 685 kit will give a little more grunt and smooth out the bike a litle at high RPMs,,,
Its a do eveything bike OK, lots of after market stuff, and it is a CULT bike big time,,
The 2007 and below are better bikes, Better deals, There plastic does not break like the new ones...
IMG_0131.jpg

QUOTE=FASTBUSA06;2828947]Hey iride i heard the 685 kit is the thing 2 do how does it run[/QUOTE]

I had a klr...there really a great street bike..great power ect...but kinda heavy for the trails to throw around..but gets the job done..
The other thing is there really tall..
Which is a challenge for people that are vertically challenged..lol

I bought a klr in 1991. I wont sell it either. Its been excellent as far as reliability, and low maintenance. One thing though if you will be commuting in an area with high winds be careful. Mine is like a sail on windy days a truly non pleasureable time passing semis wandering all over creation. But other than that their great . cadillac suspension is comfortable and with the right tires super fast in the twisties.

Back