Anybody Had A Trouble Free Experience Buying/installing Cruise Control

rubbersidedown

TURBO-BUSA-RIDIN'-BASTID
Donating Member
Registered
Rubb is after the best no hassle electronic cruise control on the market.

Suggestions/ideas. please/thanks.

RSD.

I have no personal experience with cruise control.
However, Sous has a great "how-to" post on vacuum cc.
TwoToneVert or Captain has one on the electronic.
I considered both at one time.
From what I recall, the vacuum was cheaper, and also took up alot less space.
You'll need to do the gen2 trunk mod to make room for electronic cc.

I know Fallen Arch has a cruise system setup on his Gen2. Haven't seen him on here lately but I'm sure he could help you out :beerchug:

I put the electronic on mine. A bit time consuming but trouble free. One of the best mods for long distance by far.

I Also have the electronic version it was time consuming as far as finding good places to mount everything. I have the trash can trunk modification on my bike which made it easier.

I had the vacuum and then switched to electronic. Both worked fine. The vacuum takes up more space but it is in the turn signal pods so it's space you don't use. Net space the electronic takes more. Electronic is much heavier too if that matters to you. I got rid of the vacuum because it uses engine vacuum and I figured it was only a matter of time.... I used the two threads already mentioned to install mine. Bit of a chore but does not require special skill.

Perfect advice above I've had both and like the electronic better and installed at least 10 of the electronic ones now. Do the trash can mod first you will be glad you did!

Guess I need 3 things:

Where,and what to buy.
Walk through on install.
Walk through on trash can mod.

Please/Thanks. Andy.

Trash can mod :dunno::tre:

Trash can mod Boss?

RSD.

Trunk mod. Cut out your rear inner finder and bolt the bottom of a trash can in the hole.
20150530_141003.jpg

I have the vacuum Audiovox unit on my 08, transferred from my 07 when it was totaled. I used Pipefighter248's write up for the 07, and Sous's for the 08. It is probably my favorite mod, and very useful! I still have my ThrottleMeister too, the bike will drop about 3 -4 mph before the Audiovox kicks in after pressing the SET button, the TM helps hold the speed until I feel the Avox take over! I then slowly return the TM to the OFF position. Both serve as a backup to each other!

I installed the electronic Rostra unit also, with the indicator control panel which lets you know the unit has been set and activated. It is time consuming making sure you have the wires properly identified before splicing into harness. I also soldered all connections so I would not get intermittent gremlins. I have LED's and I installed a brake light modulator. I had to replace the first modulator with one that had a ground wire. The ungrounded modulator turned my cruise on (not activated, but turned on) every time I applied the brakes.

Works like a charm without fail. Had it on the bike for 3 years.

Back