Anybody ever get sick while exercising?

Busaman5000

Donating Member
Registered
I have an on again off again relationship with the gym. I had been going for the past couple weeks, mainly doing cardio exercises.

Tonight however I got on the treadmill and started jogging and I could only do it for a couple minutes before my heart started pounding and I started feeling real sick like I was gonna vomit kinda sick. I didnt throw up but I still feel kinda weak.

This has happened to me a couple times before. Once about 5 years ago at a gym and once a few years ago riding a bicycle. The 2nd time it happened was much worse though and I actually thew up and blacked out because of it for a minute.

This ever happened to anybody else? My heart rate was up in the 160's when it happened. Im 27 years old 5'11 and about 175 pounds. I tend to get heart palpitations alot. That has been brought to my doc's attention. But he couldnt find anything "wrong" persay.

I actually have a physical scheduled with my doctor in a couple weeks so im sure I will know wear I stand then but. But im just looking for opinions in the mean time.

Oh BTW, Happy Thanksgiving Everybody!

Last edited:
well I Mt. bike a ton and and have gotten sick twice while riding, both times i did get sick though it turned out that i was already getting sick and the workout just pushed me over the edge. What about hydration? i know when i dont hydrate properly my rides are weaker and sometimes i will get bad headaches while i ride and i just feel weak in genral on my usual single track rides. The heart thing your describing though that may be another matter

Dosen't happen to me but I've got a friend that always seems to be tossin' his cookies when we are paintballin'. I always think it's because he's hung over, but he says not. After the 1st or second game he empties his stomach and he's good to go hard for the rest of the day.

dehydration was my first thought too. Or maybe not enough food
Posted via Mobile Device

In my years on the bicycles I've seen many people puking in the ditch on long, hard climbs. Can depend on what you eat, and how long before the workout that you eat, and your general aerobic conditioning to start with. Anything volatile like milk or spicy food should be given at least an hour to settle before putting the heart rate into triple digits.
And some people's stomachs are just more prone to upset during exercise than others.

Go to your physical and ask the dr if you should see a cardiologist about your heart palpitations. I have PAT, which is basically a short circuit of the nerves in teh heart. I never felt like puking, but I have come close to passing out while it is going on. Exercising while it was happening probably would make me pass out. I went to High School with a girl who had the same problem. During a basketball game it made her heart stop and she ended up having a pacemaker put in.

I'm not saying that this is what you have but get it checked out. We only nailed down a diagnosis for me because I was near an ambulance when it happed to me once and we got a graph of what my heart rhythm looked like. It can take some time to figure out if you do have a heart problem.

I would get checked by a physician if I were you. I have thrown up after lifting real heavy on max out days but onthe treadmill is not good. Be on the safe side and consult your doctor.

Stop exercising till you get checked out, better to be safe they probably going to do a stress test on you, possible you just doing to much to soon if you just started working out.

The last time I got sick while running was when I was in the Marines and I was pushing it real hard during a PFT (And I used to smoke at the time)

Since I quite smoking (over 15 years ago) I dont get sick when I run anymore.

However when I weight lift I push myself pretty hard sometimes.

It is not uncommong for my to blow chunks on leg days. I stress the legs out so much that they shake, I can barely stand and I sometimes hurl.

My 16 year old has come close to hurling a few times, welll let me take it back he did once, his mom happened to be there and lost her mind because she said you shouldnt work out so hard that you throw up.

I told her dont worry about that he would be fine then I told him to crawl back to the squat rack and do his last set.

And the good son he is, he did :)

I have only hurled twice while doing the arm routine.

Unless you are throwing up blood or chunks of your intestine or lining of your stomach wall you should be ok.

But if you are in doubt go talk to a doctor so they can tell you they have no clue what is wrong but if it hurts dont to it. Fricken quacks.

As I get older I lose more and more respect for doctors.

My blood pressure sometimes gets a little high, but it is usually when I back off my cardio. as long as I continue to do cardio my BP usually stays in check.

I had some Dr's office tell me that weight lifting is not good for a persons blood pressure and that I needed to stop weight lifting.

I am thinking yeah fricken right. a doctor's office telling to stop exercising. I never went back to that office again.

In the end listen to your body. If you start to feel not right when you are not working out, or seeing blood or abnormal looking flesh that used to be part of your body inside or out now laying on the floor for some reason, then yeah, you should probably see a doc.

Otherwise, monitor you heart rate, keep it no higher than 80% of your maxim and suck it up and you should be fine.

But remember, I am not a doctor so take my advice with a grain of salt. and an asprin :D

Also remember, staying hydrated means that you have plenty of water in you the day before you work out heavily. Downing a bunch of water within a couple of hours of working out is gonna make you puke and cramp and do you no good at all.

Slow down until your body gets used to it and work your way up incrementally. Even if you feel like you are doing nothing when you first start out, work up slowly so that your body will support your desires and you will feel much better than before.

Also remember, staying hydrated means that you have plenty of water in you the day before you work out heavily. Downing a bunch of water within a couple of hours of working out is gonna make you puke and cramp and do you no good at all.

Slow down until your body gets used to it and work your way up incrementally. Even if you feel like you are doing nothing when you first start out, work up slowly so that your body will support your desires and you will feel much better than before.

Ditto... Bring up your heart rate slowly by warming up doing strecthes etc... If you bring your heart rate up to fast it will make you pass out, too much strain too quick. Also just take your time with your workouts in the beginning, 15 minutes for a week, 25 minutes, then so on and work up gradually until you reach your goal of getting into shape...

I use to years ago lift for 3.5 hours per day 6 days a week and did well just working gradually to that point...

You know you can over train too.. blowing chunk might be a good indication of this. :whistle:

I've done the cross country running in school and still run like deer. I push myself on the treadmill/track and have never came close to chucking.. heart attach yes :laugh:

Atleast you are active and still get out there!! it will make you more streamline on the bike!!

Well I want to be active. Its an up hill battle because I have a serious lack of motivation. Generally when I start feeling like I have alot of anxiety or just start feeling bad in general I will start doing some exercise. Once I feel better I lose my motivation.

BEEF CAKE! lol

I have done some cunkin after some severe leg workouts.Other than that never got sick.

Back