Anybody an automobile tire expert?

runeight

why ask why
Donating Member
Registered
I have a question concerning the TMPS system used today.

(tire monitoring pressure system)

r8

What you got? I worked in a dealer for 2 and a half years. I hate those things!!! lol. What's goin on?

What you got? I worked in a dealer for 2 and a half years. I hate those things!!! lol. What's goin on?

Well, here are the details. :laugh:

I read up on anything I do. I belong to several Toyota Tundra forums also.

I purchased a complete set of 20 inch wheels and tires with the TMPS included. I have 18 inch on her now. (2008) I called the Service Department and was told that all I had to do was to install the wheels/tires. When the dash light comes on just reset the system. (button under dash) 90% sure that will work he said.

I call Bogus! :laugh:

Now, not believing this, from what I have read is that the sensor number needs to be logged into the computer system on the truck using a handheld device. How would the computer know if the tire was low? All sensors are specific are they not? (different numbers)

Now maybe I could get lucky. :dunno: I might be able to start the truck, deflate the new tires and see if the dash light goes on. If it does then inflate the tire, try to reset and go from there.

I, like you, do not care for this TMPS stuff. There is no way to deactivate the system. (there is a purple/silver wire behind glove box that will)

r8

There's varying types of these, need make/model to know what style is used.

There sure is! And lug nuts? Toyota makes four or five different styles for one model year!

Their getting back at us! I swear!

r8

Well, here are the details. :laugh:

I read up on anything I do. I belong to several Toyota Tundra forums also.

I purchased a complete set of 20 inch wheels and tires with the TMPS included. I have 18 inch on her now. (2008) I called the Service Department and was told that all I had to do was to install the wheels/tires. When the dash light comes on just reset the system. (button under dash) 90% sure that will work he said.

I call Bogus! :laugh:

Now, not believing this, from what I have read is that the sensor number needs to be logged into the computer system on the truck using a handheld device. How would the computer know if the tire was low? All sensors are specific are they not? (different numbers)

Now maybe I could get lucky. :dunno: I might be able to start the truck, deflate the new tires and see if the dash light goes on. If it does then inflate the tire, try to reset and go from there.

I, like you, do not care for this TMPS stuff. There is no way to deactivate the system. (there is a purple/silver wire behind glove box that will)

r8

Most of them use a radio signal. The computer doesn't need to know what model number the sensor is, it just needs to know WHERE it is. On GM vehicles, this is done with a TPM (not TMP:poke:) learn tool. I'm not 100% sure about toyota, but most of the GM ones are integrated into the RCDLR (Remote Control Door Lock Reciever) and that's what it uses to recieve the radio signal from the sensor. I don't know what this reset button you're talkin about does exactly, but it's possible that it might work. I'll take a look in one of the online service manuals I have access to and see if I can find some more specific info for you. On some GM models it's also possible to manually put the vehicle in learn mode, then go to each tire one by one and deflate it till the horn chirps, then re-inflate it. This tells the RCDLR which sensor is where.

Sweeet huh?

r8

2009_tundra_special_sport_4.jpg

I forgot to add that from what I have read you can only program five sensors. Four tires plus the spare.

r8

Interesting. . . Well, it seems that you will, indeed, have to have the dealer reset the TPM sensors. The scan tool and hand held tester are most likely Toyota special tools.

Exactly.

Thank you!

So, will have to break the bead, copy the number, re-balance wheel. :laugh:

Might as well put new skins on her huh? (tires currently have 9/32 tread)

Avon Tech ST

r8

If you're taking your old sensors out and installing them in the new tires, you'll be fine without the dealer. Here's what I found in the service manual. The first part is if the sensor is replaced. The second is if they are not.

If the tire pressure sensor and/or tire pressure ECU are replaced, the transmitter ID needs to be registered in the TPM ECU prior to system initialization. To perform this procedure the toyota hand held tester must be used.

The system will need to be initialized when tires are rotated; tires are replaced with tires of different pressures; tire pressure sensor and/or ECU are replaced; or when a new vehicle is delivered. Set pressure within specified range be initializing. When initializing, the present tire condition is stored as standard. During initialization the TPM valve sub-assembly measures the inflation pressures of the tires and registers the signals that are transmited into the TPM ECU at a frequency of one per 3 minutes. The initialization is completed when the signals from the 5 tires are recieved (spare is included).

1. Set tire pressure of all wheels (including spare) to pressure specified on the tire and loading information label.

2. With vehicle stopped and parking brake applied, turn the ignition switch the ON position. (key on engine off)

3. Press and hold the tire pressure warning reset switch until the tire pressure warning lamp flashes 3 times at one second intervals.

4. Confirm that the initialization proccess is complete using the hand held tester. First select "DATA LIST", on the hand held tester, then verify that the "TIREPRESS" values are displayed. It may take 5-6 minutes for the "TIREPRESS" values to display on the hand held tester screen.

There ya go. Right from the service manual. Stupid thing wouldn't let me copy and paste. :banghead: But anywya, if you're reusing the sensers you already have, you'll be fine. Just hold the reset button and wait about 8 min. to make sure it's done, since you don't have the hand held tester.

Thank you..again.

I won't be changing the sensors out. The new wheels have them already so it saves busting down two (2) sets of wheels only to swap out for one. (set already on) It is an option however.

So...there we go huh?

r8

Thank you..again.

I won't be changing the sensors out. The new wheels have them already so it saves busting down two (2) sets of wheels only to swap out for one. (set already on) It is an option however.

So...there we go huh?

r8

Pretty much. It appears you have 2 options. Take the time to break down both sets of wheels and install the old sensors in the new wheels (assuming they're compatible) or let the dealer have it for a few hours and take care of the hastle for you.

Thanks Gus for your help. We have a board member who deals in Automotive Tires. :thumbsup: Knows his stuff too! :beerchug:

Help support a board member in these tough times. :thumbsup:

Going to order a new set of Avon's for the Tundra when they become available. No sense to break down four used tires in order to get the pressure sensor numbers. Might just as well put on new while we are at it..

That's how we roll here.

r8

Last edited:
Back