any welders out there??

warwgn

Hi,I'm Dustin.Do you like my dancing
Donating Member
Registered
my frame on my ATV is cracking and coming apart due to riding it like I stloe it during the races. Anyway I need to weld the cracks and gusset the frame but have no welder so i start looking around for used welder and it turns out at work we have a unit in storage and I might be able to buy it. what should i offer for it?

It's a Lincoln Idealarc DC-250 with a Cobramatic MK-3A push/pull wire feed system on top of it. All the cables and everything are there and I talked to our welder and he said it was working great when it went into storage. They mainly used it for alumnium and it workd really good with steel too but they have a better unit for steel and went to tig for all aluminum so thats why it went to storage. All I would need is a bottle of gas and run a 230V line to plug into and I am ready to weld.

So what would be a good deal for this mig welder? It also has ARC capability.

Hope you have better luck welding a part on an ATV. My muffler bracket has broken 4 times so far.

It broke...welded it.....broke other side...welded it.....broke next to both welds.....welded both....broke again next to welds and now about to put bailing wire on it. Mine is only a recreational ATV...but I still drive it like I am drunk and just stole it....oh and it is a KAWASAKI.

(BlueHaya @ Oct. 19 2006,12:29) oh and it is a KAWASAKI.
well thats the problem
laugh.gif
poke.gif

(guido4512 @ Oct. 19 2006,12:32) That sounds like a good welder - I'd grab it.
I am gonna offer $250 and see if they go for it.

Not being able to see it.
As little money as you can get away with.
Offer 50 bucks or so, see where that takes you.

The 250s go for between $1200 and $1500 new, depending on options.

I just saw a C-matic feed system in a local bargain bulletin for $400 so that's probably about what they go for used.

If it's a complete system with everything necessary to start burning (cables, clamps, cart, etc etc) it's probably worth about $1000 but you might be able to cut a sweet deal. Start with like $500-$700 offered and go from there.

How much experience do you have? Sometimes the Cobramatic feeders can be tricky for beginners to get the hang of at first (at least the ones I've used, maybe they're not all like that)

I would say i am between an advanced beginer, and an certified everyday welder??

If you have ever taken a negotiation class they tell you to make your first offer very low to lower the expectaion of the othe party. That way when he counters he will second guess his original thought and come to you with a lower number than he wanted.

Whatever you do do not meet in the middle. If he can meet you in the middle he can come the rest of the way.

Good Luck

Ah then you'll be fine. If you can work a wire gun you can work the Cobra. It's just sometimes tricky to regulate wire speed with it if you learned on a typical stick.

Grab it up as cheap as you can and start throwin' some sparks. Good luck.

Whatever you do, make sure you buy some steel of similar size and thickness of what you will be welding and PRACTICE till it turns out good. Also, practice welding it as hot as you can, cause the key to your repairs is adequate fusion. Alot of stock welds on frames are made too cold and have cold lap. Since your frame is already completley welded, you don't have as big a chance for warpage. I am an expert certified welder and if there is one thing I can do well, it's welding.

looks like I'll get it for $250 and that come with 1 roll of aluminum wire and 2 rolls of steel wire
super.gif

bad news is my wife wont see me for a few months untill i run out of gas or wire or stuff to weld up. I already have a list of crap to play on, prolly gonna end up adding about 20 Lbs to my raptor frame
SHOCKED.gif

(black954 @ Oct. 20 2006,21:29) Whatever you do, make sure you buy some steel of similar size and thickness of what you will be welding and PRACTICE till it turns out good. Also, practice welding it as hot as you can, cause the key to your repairs is adequate fusion. Alot of stock welds on frames are made too cold and have cold lap. Since your frame is already completley welded, you don't have as big a chance for warpage.  I am an expert certified welder and if there is one thing I can do well, it's welding.
I used to work in a drivline shop and have welded drive shafts for tractor trailers, trophy truck,limos, and saleen mustangs, so I am sure I can stick the frame together strong enough. My worry is learning alumnium
crazy.gif
but that will just be skid plates and stuff like that so nothing too critical to worry about for now.

Thanks for all the advise
beerchug.gif

Back