Any welders here?

This is stainless with my Miller Syncrowave 200 tig. It's not perfect,.......but I'm working on it!! Learn to tig,.......and mig comes easy!!! Good luck!:beerchug:

Not to upset you but that is not a good weld it would not pass inspection it is undercut not enough filler. Hey I am not trying to be a jerk just read up on it tig welds are not like mig if you dont do them right they can crack real easy.

Not to upset you but that is not a good weld it would not pass inspection it is undercut not enough filler. Hey I am not trying to be a jerk just read up on it tig welds are not like mig if you dont do them right they can crack real easy.

You, Sir,..........are absolutely correct. BUT in my defense,...on that particular piece,...structural integrity is not a concern. The spigot was machined in a way where as it sits in a counterbore on the flange,.....and the flange applies pressure to the spigot in the exhaust port on the cylinder head. So I choose to fuse weld the 3/8 flange to the schedule 10 spigot instead of using any filler. When I weld the primary tubes to the other side,........that's a whole different story. I'll use filler rod,.......and try to maintain a flat to somewhat arched weld for the duration with a very similar heat pattern. You know,....as well as I,.....an overheated stainless weld will crack quickly if stressed.

I do appreciate an experienced "EYE" critiquing my work. I'm not a certified welder. I attended a couple of semeters at a local community college to better my tig welding and learn to "read" a good and bad weld. I,...fortunately,....was instructed by some very talented individuals. The dept. head is one of those guys that gets the phone call from around the world to fly over,.......and preform some critical weld on a billion dollar piece of equipment. It would be great to have that much skill,.....but at this point in the game,........I can "read" a weld much better than I can perform a weld. Most of my welds are good,......but others only okay. Consistency has been the challenge,......but I know it's all about practice. The old saying,......."Practice makes Perfect",..........must have come from a welder! :laugh:

I see that you are a machinist and welder by trade. Post up a couple of pics of the coolest things that you have created!!! Thanks again for your honestly!! Next time,....I'll use a weld pic that would pass an inspection! :laugh:

for a fuse weld i think it looks real good
i am a tool maker by trade and own my own machine shop (1/3 owner)
i used to do test instrument welding (not allowed any filler rod for the tooling but had to pass 300 psi leak test)
he is right with those pieces not needing a true but weld as the design of them allows for just a fuse weld
i made the pieces so yes i do know the design lol
and to the person who started this post
DONT USE A MIG on a swing arm
sorry ill fight this
you cant get a proper weld on chromoly and i personally wont ever use mild steel on an arm
mig welds will crack on chromoly
i have made an arm for my prostreet bike
and some of my welds have been posted here before
i have 2 welders
a lincoln 300/300 and a syncro 200
both tigs
we are looking into a mig but for more structural work not frame or arm work

You, Sir,..........are absolutely correct. BUT in my defense,...on that particular piece,...structural integrity is not a concern. The spigot was machined in a way where as it sits in a counterbore on the flange,.....and the flange applies pressure to the spigot in the exhaust port on the cylinder head. So I choose to fuse weld the 3/8 flange to the schedule 10 spigot instead of using any filler. When I weld the primary tubes to the other side,........that's a whole different story. I'll use filler rod,.......and try to maintain a flat to somewhat arched weld for the duration with a very similar heat pattern. You know,....as well as I,.....an overheated stainless weld will crack quickly if stressed.

I do appreciate an experienced "EYE" critiquing my work. I'm not a certified welder. I attended a couple of semeters at a local community college to better my tig welding and learn to "read" a good and bad weld. I,...fortunately,....was instructed by some very talented individuals. The dept. head is one of those guys that gets the phone call from around the world to fly over,.......and preform some critical weld on a billion dollar piece of equipment. It would be great to have that much skill,.....but at this point in the game,........I can "read" a weld much better than I can perform a weld. Most of my welds are good,......but others only okay. Consistency has been the challenge,......but I know it's all about practice. The old saying,......."Practice makes Perfect",..........must have come from a welder! :laugh:

I see that you are a machinist and welder by trade. Post up a couple of pics of the coolest things that you have created!!! Thanks again for your honestly!! Next time,....I'll use a weld pic that would pass an inspection! :laugh:

I am a tool maker in the medical industry now for just over 22 years sad enough I cannot post picture of our products. I do also own my own cnc shop it is for prototype work only I have it for more of a hobby when I am bored but do alot of very complicated parts and assemblies.

I am a tool maker in the medical industry now for just over 22 years sad enough I cannot post picture of our products. I do also own my own cnc shop it is for prototype work only I have it for more of a hobby when I am bored but do alot of very complicated parts and assemblies.

CNC shop? ??? Do you take on small projects for customers?

Aluminum mig for home is kinda worthless. I run day in day out aluminum mig with python push pull setups, amazing work...but its for production work.
Tigs the way to go, i have my hobart mig at home anything that it wont handle i take to work and weld with the 480v machines or stick if it doesnt need to be pretty..

Working on talking the old guy across the street out of his 3 year old synchrowave 180....slowly wearing away at him:laugh:
Somewhere i have some pics of some of my aluminum mig...Not trying to toot my own horn but its impressive to say the least:laugh:

How much does a machine with square wave help + is it more important with aluminium, steel, other metals Ti, stainless?

I have a sp120 lincoln mig with a cyl...it has been great to me...in some cases it is good to tack with and then final weld with the tig.

Thank you everyone for the advice and suggestions im looking for tig still unsure of really what to get but that is ok im still in the learning phase anyway lol i know i can pick t up quite quickly need one to practice while not in school liked the one on craigs list and the one on ebay just dont want to pay 250.00 for shipping seems like alot ??? maybe not again thank you trade welders your advice did not fall on deaf ears:beerchug:

the one I posted was no joke I have it in my shop and it really does work. cheap in price for sure I no it looks like it is to good to be true but I have had mine for a few years now it has never let me down. at work we have a very expensive miller and trust that they are not much different at all in fact I believe the cheaper one works better because it has two fans and lasts longer before cutting out on heavy jobs.
i FOUND THESE ON YOUTUBE OF THIS WELDER A LITTLE ROUGH BUT GIVES YOU AN IDEA OF IT

- Everlast Welder - 200P ACDC Tig[/url]

- Everlast Welder - 200P AC DC Tig[/url]

they dont show much but give an idea of the machine I have used the crap out of mine it works great the pedal is not great but guys online show how to change the switch inside of the pedal it makes it perfect I just really do fine the way it is. hate to see you buy a miller for 3000 when these are cheap and do the same performance. just if you do decide to go this way make sure the model is wse200p everlast there are alot of others that seem the same but are not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just came across this article the other day and was just in awe of some of the welds in there. I can "weld":D but man I am not on any level as good as these guys. Just plain art.
18 Perfect Welds That You Didn't Even Know You'd Find Satisfying
24f3f0bcc8f5cbb3.jpg

Back