Any way to fake a new busa in a sale??

Mythos

Registered
Went to pick up my "new" 08 b/o tonight and I was not really thrilled. Big complaint is that the tank has a lot of swirls. Windscreen also has swirls and even a couple very small scuffs. Also saw a couple very small mars in the paint on exhaust and mirrors. This bike was brought in from out of state. Obviously it was sitting on a showroom floor.

Of lesser concern, the OEM handgrips and bar ends had been changed to aftermarket and there was a chrome ornament added to front fender. The dealer will buff tank for me and change out bar ends/grips and remove fender ornament. The bike also has colored lights inside it which I think is kind of cool so I might as well keep that.

The rotors have obviously been pinched but I still see the cross hatching. The odo reads 3 miles. The chain is white litheumed, the tires still have their fresh colored stripes. There is no tire ware.

My question: is there any way someone could return the odo to 0 miles? I hope not or i am going to be loosing some sleep.

prolly a floor model.

Exactly...probably just been sitting for a long period & was getting improperly wiped down. Thus the swirl marks.
As far as the odom getting turned back....I highly doubt it. Seems like they are willing to work w/ you to get it to your satisfaction. Did you get a good deal on it? I'm sure you feel you did.

Get home her home, make her yours, and enjoy your perma grin :thumbsup:

If your un happy, why did you take possession of the bike?

As for the swirls, it just from them wiping the bike down over the last year while it sat on the floor!

Also there is no way that they could have turn the odometer back with out replace it!

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.. I highly doubt a dealer would switch out an odometer to fake the mileage on the bike.. why would they risk that for a few bucks? They could lose their dealer license and face some tough charges for something like that.

sounds like a floor model to me to..i`m sure they must have cut you a deal..let them buff it and change those things and roll that busa....

I'd be suspicious too. If it's a floor model why all the add ons? and if it was brought in from out of state, maybe your dealer doesn't even know the real history himself. Floor models wouldn't have gas in the tank. Did you check that? Look at the radiator for stone hits, run your fingers inside the fairing and see if there's road grime in there.

Check first is all I'm saying, then no regrets later.

Last edited:
If your un happy, why did you take possession of the bike?

It cost me 1K earnest money to have the bike delivered from out of state. I did not pay anything else yet, though I am sure I will take it. I don't think i got an outstanding deal, but it was a fair deal. $11,700 tax, lic, prep, doc all included to get the b/o color I wanted. I am sure they made money, even having to drive 800 miles to get it.

I know how to fix minor scuffs and surface scratching but that is the last thing I expect to see on a new bike. I think they should have taken the time to restore the surface before i viewed the bike. That is rule #1 when selling a used bike, it should certainly be for selling a new one. My old bike with 12000 miles on it has a flawless surface. I expected this to be at least as good. This is sort of an emotional purchase but I don't think my expectations are too high to want a bike that looks like new. It will get that way if i need to do it myself.

Most important, the bike is new on the inside. Thanks for the reassuring comments. I can't wait to take her out on her first ride. :thumbsup:

Floor models wouldn't have gas in the tank. Did you check that? Look at the radiator for stone hits, run your fingers inside the fairing and see if there's road grime in there.

Thanks for the reminder. I planned to check radiator. Good tip to look for debris deposited in fairings, also (I have found debris before in the fairings of bikes on showroom floors being sold as new, however -??). As far as gas and oil, I have no way of knowing since the bike has already been prepped. The font of the bike has no scratches and that is the first place I would expect to see them if it had been ridden.

if purchasing from a dealer you should be alright bro... just try your best to let them take care of the issues that are bothering you first... scratches, marks, etc...

I guess somebody could have bought it and asked for the aftermarket parts before taking it and then didn't.

I would be suspicious as well.

Check the oil.... may be something they over looked...

with 3mile on the engine, it will not be hard to see if there is many more looking at the oil.. just a thought

Might have been one they used to let ppl test drive up and down the street. You can get a lot of riding done in 3 miles...

I've seen dealers customize bikes so they can add in the high-margin accessories.

I'm curious though, what do you mean by fender ornament? ???

For the price you paid, I'd expect a perfect bike.

I'm curious though, what do you mean by fender ornament?

OH, god! I know people have different tastes. You would almost have to see it to believe it. It looks like a chrome, three pronged fork laying flat against the fender. It runs along the front edge with a "tine" up the middle and one on either side. Looks very "classic cruiser" and totally conflicts with the simple shape of the fender, IMO. It's just stuck on with double sided tape. No big deal to change back to stock.

I go for the stripped down, racing look so adding parts without adding performance is generally a "don't".

I'm curious though, what do you mean by fender ornament?

OH, god! I know people have different tastes. You would almost have to see it to believe it. It looks like a chrome, three pronged fork laying flat against the fender. It runs along the front edge with a "tine" up the middle and one on either side. Looks very "classic cruiser" and totally conflicts with the simple shape of the fender, IMO. It's just stuck on with double sided tape. No big deal to change back to stock.

I go for the stripped down, racing look so adding parts without adding performance is generally a "don't".

I'd be suspicious too. If it's a floor model why all the add ons? and if it was brought in from out of state, maybe your dealer doesn't even know the real history himself. Floor models wouldn't have gas in the tank. Did you check that? Look at the radiator for stone hits, run your fingers inside the fairing and see if there's road grime in there.

Check first is all I'm saying, then no regrets later.

The local dealer here has started adding boltons to the bikes on the floor to make them "more desirable". Some of the dealers also test ride bikes after assembly which could account for the 3 miles. I doubt the odo was turned back.

Back