Any Suomy Owners on here?

twotonevert

Member of P.E.A.
Donating Member
Registered
I have been looking at new helmets and there is a particular Suomy that I have my eye on. I am looking for feedback from anyone that has/currently owns a Suomy helmet.

I have an older bostrom replica and I love it!

Great Helmets, graphics are nice, mine is pretty quiet but i like a little noise so I can hear whats going on outside my helmet.. Fit is excellent, just have to go up one size as all mine seem smaller than they are... The one thing you know is your getting a great helmet as the BSI certification is more stringent than the snell rating stuff. It's to bad NHRA doesn't adopt the BSI stuff in so we can get even better helmets..

I have the same Bostrom replica that Shawn has (and I'll be wearing it at Barber next weekend too); They fit a one size smaller than everybody else's helmet. If you buy your normal size, and it will give you a headache, so do yourself a favor buy one size larger than normal. It will still be tight at first, but eventually form to your head. Great graphics, but the top plastic piece on my Spec 1R Extreme is discolored from UV faster than the rest of the helmet. Doesnt' look like they are making the Spec anymore :( . It's a 7 year old model so it's probably getting time to stop wearing it.

After having said all that, I have to say IMHO that my Arai is a better helmet.

The Suomy was my firs big $ helmet. It is still the helmet I wear for drag racing, track days and high speed riding. I like the quality and the fit is the best for my head shape. I also own shoei x11 and an Arai that I use for city riding but the Suomy is for the serious stuff. I really like the interior cloth Suomy uses better than the shoei or Arai. The only thing I have to deal with (careful to not say "don't Like") is wearing the helmet in the winter because the shell vents are slits that are not able to close so the cold air goes right in the helmet. The other two helmets have close able vents which is nice.

I ride in the desert and the Suomy flows the most air so I have never felt it get too hot inside. I always ride with ear plugs so I would not say the Suomy has increased air noise, it is as loud as all my high dollar helmets. The Suomy absolutely stays planted and feels rock solid when riding over 130mph, much better than my Arai or shoei, that is why the Suomy is my high performance riding helmet.

Yes visor changes take longer but the benefits far outweigh the issues or differences it may have. Would I buy another Suomy, absolutely because the fit for me is best and it has quality everywhere. That is not to say a shoei or Arai are bad helmets, they are top quality helmets with different features that make them awesome also. The picture on the left of my sig line is my Suomy, the second pic is my Arai.

Back