Any sub-400 lbs 2-up bike suggestions?

spotrot

Registered
Any suggestions on a lightweight bike that does 2-up well? It needs to be under 400 to go on a rack on the back of a RV. My busa is too heavy, and I want to have it at home anyway.

On the last RV, I used a 650 thumper but it (the bike) couldn't keep up with traffic on interstates. I bolted a rack on the back of the RV and winched the bike up (pic).

The best plan would be to get a GSXR-1000 if I could make it comfy for my wife - she doesn't like riding with her knees in her arm pits.

An old Bonneville would work, but then it doesn't always (work).

SV750 or SV1000 is another thought but the listed weights on the Suzuki website are contradictory: 410, 391, 370.

Any ideas or lessons from experience are appreciated.

Thanks, John

MC_RV_s.JPG

Used yamaha FZ 1000? Plenty of power, still kind of sporty, comfortable for 2 up, can still put soft bags on and such. Just an idea. Not sure of the weight of them. They use the R-1 motor.

On a serious note.....How about a dual Sport type? Suzuki makes the DRZ -400....not sure on the power with 2 up though.

Thanks for the good suggestions.

The FZ1 would be good but it is listed as 439 lbs dry.

I kinda think the dual-sport won't make my passenger happy. Plus it's 400 cc and my 650 cc single cyinder couldn't hold 70 mph 2-up in a wind.

Maybe there's nothing in the 2-up, under-400 lb category that works.

Maybe I should go to a GSXR forum and ask about passenger comfort mods. Once they're through laughing, maybe they'll have some good ideas. A GSXR-1000 (or 750, 600) would be a sweet choice for a second bike.

For 2 up riding, a GSXR just isn't a comfortable ride. Can it be done, sure. WIll your wife be comfortable for a ride longer than 15 miles, NO. The footpegs placement just shoves the legs way up, which is your complaint to start with. I am not sure about the Katana series. They have more comfortable seats, but I don't know about the rear footpegs. They still look sporty, but are also heavier. I just thought of the FZ because I talked to a couple this fall while riding and they were on one. They traded in their R1 and have never been happier. While I don't like the looks of naked sport bikes, they are a more reasonable option for 2 up touring.

There is always the Suzuki GS500F. Two cylinders 45 hp.
Basically the same as the GS500E I have in the garage.
I had no problem exceeding highway speeds with 2 up.
Pretty fuel-efficient too.

pirate.gif
Raider out.
P 1541

Get your Self a Suzuki Bandit the new is Fuel injected and I am sure it will be comfortable for 2 up riding.

I would just look into getting a better rack for the back of your RV. My father uses one on his (BMW K1200RS) and it will hold over 600lbs. no problem. They even make heavy duty ones for Harley's that are rated for 800+...
beerchug.gif

Wouldn't that be a lot easier and cheaper than buying a lighter bike...? (Unless you are working a second bike with the wife this way)
thumb_up.gif

I don't know, Spotrot, I have lugged my KLR ALL OVER the western US on the back of my motorhome. It carries plenty of luggage and just a few aftermarket pieces transform it profoundly! I've done 900 mile days on it as well.

Larry Rosseler Performance rear shock
Gel seat
One tooth larger c/shaft spkt.
touring windscreen

I have many other retrofits on it but with the above, I can run all day long @ 75-80 mph, then explore a dirt trail, then load its 300 lb. weight easily onto the motorhome's rear shelf! All that with a 6 gallon tank and a cult like following (like Busas). For the heck of it, go to the KLR forum and read a little, then go to DualStar.com and explore the incredible aftermarket for KLR's!
Raydog

Thanks for the suggestions. I just ordered a new RV that has a larger tongue weight on the hitch: 500 lbs, and the frame (Ford 18,000 lb chassis)is not sectioned like the previous RV that had a max tongue weight of 350 lbs.

So now the search has broadened in a good way. I'll take the advice to put a stronger rack on the back so I can take the busa to the local drags. But I still want to get another bike because when we go cross country we drive for 3 weeks, leave the RV out west, come home for a couple weeks and then fly back out to do another leg.

So that's the excuse to get another bike. The GS500F is 398 lbs so I'm thinking a lighter 2nd bike would be fun. The SV650 at 370 lbs looks good if I can modify it for passenger comfort and sell it to my rider.

So the thinking is now maybe up to 400 lbs is OK and the search goes on. I'm just surprised sub-400 lb 2-up bikes with decent hp are not made.

I appreciate all suggestions,

John

Back