Any spearfishers/freedivers?

PACIFICBUSA

The Shaver Immortal
Donating Member
Registered
Now I've always been a fisherman...Dad started me off around 6yrs old. Spearfishing, net, throw-net, rod-n-reel. I've stayed mostly in the shallows...maybe 6-8ft was the deepest.

Around college, I started diving. 20ft was the max, 10-12 was the norm. Haven't really done much diving since then.

I just recently picked it up again...been going in about 60-120ft of water. Picked up a new speargun (100, Picasso Asegai) and have been trying out the daytime fishing stuff. It's kinda hard (haven't caught anything yet :( ), but it's definitely an experience.

I'm curious to see if anyone's into it. Just over the weekend I hit a personal goal: 30ft, one breath. :thumbsup::beerchug::cheerleader: I'd like to go deeper and was wondering if anyone had any tips.

:moon: if you say "get bigger lungs!"

Seriously, though...any tips? Anyone? TIA! :beerchug:

Practice! Practice! Practice!
When you are stuck at a stop light try to hold your breath.
Be careful when you push your limits, I have had a few friends pass out (shallow water blackout) and one not make it.

Your body will learn to conserve o2 with practice, sort of like meditation, your heart rate will slow down and you will be very relaxed.

It also helps to be in good physical shape.

(dive in Asan cut)

Asan?

You've been here before? And you dove there? Exactly where in Asan? Were you on the War in the Pacific side or the Cabras side?

And more importantly...how you didn't look me up? ???

Excellent tips...thanks!

Are you using a buoy attached to your spear ?
A decent size fish can't pull a man down or keep him from surfacing.
A shot buoyed fish is fairly easy to recover once you resurface.
I love spearfishing and would rather do that than fish normal.
Spearfishing is much more selective and allows me to take only what I want not whatever wants my lure. I use a pole spear more than a spear gun as I look in holes and such.
A fish shot with a six foot spear can't get much deeper into a hole and can be worked out.
30ft is pretty good. I've seen folks sink like a rock to 70-80ft on a single breath for 3-4 mins but I have trouble equalizing so I usually stay in less than 20ft around the reefs.

Best I can say is shave off all your body hair... Makes you more airodynamical (waterdynamical?) and stuff... Of course, I don't know if I'd take tips coming from a mountain guy... Not to thread jack, but how ya been Pac?

Are you using a buoy attached to your spear ?
A decent size fish can't pull a man down or keep him from surfacing.
A shot buoyed fish is fairly easy to recover once you resurface.
I love spearfishing and would rather do that than fish normal.
Spearfishing is much more selective and allows me to take only what I want not whatever wants my lure. I use a pole spear more than a spear gun as I look in holes and such.
A fish shot with a six foot spear can't get much deeper into a hole and can be worked out.
30ft is pretty good. I've seen folks sink like a rock to 70-80ft on a single breath for 3-4 mins but I have trouble equalizing so I usually stay in less than 20ft around the reefs.

Yessir...speargun is attached to a float. There's no way I plan on fighting a big one when I'm running short on air. I used to use a pole spear (aka Hawaiian Sling), but I switched that out to a homemade speargun.

I was elated to hit the 30ft mark. Never been that deep before...it was awesome. I peed and farted alot, though. ??? Must be all that pressure. Well, it's either that or the chimichangas.

Best I can say is shave off all your body hair... Makes you more airodynamical (waterdynamical?) and stuff... Of course, I don't know if I'd take tips coming from a mountain guy... Not to thread jack, but how ya been Pac?

Hmm....I see. The hair may be a non-issue since I use a rashguard. :whistle: :D

I been ok, though. How you been, Ben? Good to see ya around! Are you still mesmerizing children with your El Gigantor-ness? :thumbsup:

Blanca...is there anything you actually don't do~?~ :laugh: Anything at all

Padi here, but no spears

Blanca...is there anything you actually don't do~?~ :laugh: Anything at all

Padi here, but no spears

I lived in the hills of the Serengeti for a summer after being gifted a wife by a local tribes men.
My personality is so magnetic, I'm unable to carry credit cards.
I speak fluent French, in Russian. Chihuahuas have never barked at me, I am just that intimidating.
My reputation is expanding, faster then the universe.
I once had an akward moment, just to see how it feels.
I'm the life of parties I've never attended.
My blood smells like cologne.
Bulls flat out refuse to fight me.
My business card simply says 'I'll call you.
People hang on my every word, even the prepositions.
I once called a psychic to warn her and my mom has a tattoo of my name.

So I guess the answer to your question Outlaw is no :)

Is it a good / safe technique to take a few shallow breaths and then a deep breath before diving deep? Also, is ehxaling as slow as possible a means to condition the body?

I lived in the hills of the Serengeti for a summer after being gifted a wife by a local tribes men.
My personality is so magnetic, I'm unable to carry credit cards.
I speak fluent French, in Russian. Chihuahuas have never barked at me, I am just that intimidating.
My reputation is expanding, faster then the universe.
I once had an akward moment, just to see how it feels.
I'm the life of parties I've never attended.
My blood smells like cologne.
Bulls flat out refuse to fight me.
My business card simply says 'I'll call you.
People hang on my every word, even the prepositions.
I once called a psychic to warn her and my mom has a tattoo of my name.

So I guess the answer to your question Outlaw is no :)

??? not exactly what i was quite envisioning. but thank you for that... ???:whistle::thumbsup:

Is it a good / safe technique to take a few shallow breaths and then a deep breath before diving deep? Also, is ehxaling as slow as possible a means to condition the body?

yes, you can take a few shallow breaths, but slightly slower, deeper breaths would be more effective, i think.

that's the method I ultilize...several deep breaths (to help expand the lungs) and then one final deep breath before I start to descend.

the exhaling as slow as possible will possibly help with conditioning your body in the regard that you are training yourself to ignore your natural breathing reflex. Good, but just be careful...you don't want to black yourself out.

Huge breaths...and then hold them for as long as you can. :thumbsup:

I was much into any ocean hunting, then I moved to Georgia and bought a bike. Sounds super fun, bringing back memories. Stay safe out there. Remember- real men don't use tanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

Hmm....I see. The hair may be a non-issue since I use a rashguard. :whistle: :D

I been ok, though. How you been, Ben? Good to see ya around! Are you still mesmerizing children with your El Gigantor-ness? :thumbsup:

I've been pretty good bro. Finally back to the board after my busalessness. and small children still cry in fear. lol

I was much into any ocean hunting, then I moved to Georgia and bought a bike. Sounds super fun, bringing back memories. Stay safe out there. Remember- real men don't use tanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

One world, One breath. :thumbsup:

I've been pretty good bro. Finally back to the board after my busalessness. and small children still cry in fear. lol

:laugh: sounds good.

i'm still on the journey back to Busa-ness. do me a favor an let me in when i come knocking, k?

Back