Any Reloaders? Advice pls

Gpmo

Registered
So a couple friends and i are going to be purchasing a reloading set up.

It was decided that we are getting a Dillon Precision: Reloaders, Reloading Equipment, Bullet Reloading, Bullet Reloaders (XL650) We are planning on getting the auto case feeder and thinking about getting the automatic primer feeder.

Other than that we are trying to figure out if it is worth the extra cost to buy the name brand (dillon) scale, measuring cups, cleaners, and separators. Also the low powder sensor and the case powder sensor. How about the bullet puller?

We do have a guy who will come do a full day training session with us once it gets in and set up but, we want to have what we actually need and not pay more for something we don't have to.

Any help would be great!!

Also set up will be fore 9mm and .233/5.56 to start out.

I dont reload, but I work in an ammunition factory and I would say making sure there is enough powder in every round is a good idea. BIBs (bullet in bore) are no good.

The sensors are a good idea especially if your new to reloading. I use a digital Dillon scale and it works fine. As far as the other odd stuff the brand does not matter most of the time. Wish I had someone who would pay me to teach them to reload.

The sensors are a good idea especially if your new to reloading. I use a digital Dillon scale and it works fine. As far as the other odd stuff the brand does not matter most of the time. Wish I had someone who would pay me to teach them to reload.

Be over Sunday and we can set up both of my presses.

Which presses did you get twotonevert?

Whats the major differences in then powder brands? Or just preference?

I need to sub you guys out to make 300 BLK for me :)

P.S. Be glad to send you my 5.56 brass anytime...

We try am go out every few weeks shoot roughly 200 rounds per weapon per person. Group of 6.

My wife is not happy with my current cost to shoot :p

also I would take any spent casing any time. shoot me paypal info and I will transfer shipping costs

I need to sub you guys out to make 300 BLK for me :)

P.S. Be glad to send you my 5.56 brass anytime...

I can probably do that for you. I need to research the cartridge whether it needs to be fire formed or not. I have a lot of resources for that cartridge and have shot it a few times but have not loaded it yet.

StromBusa is right, if you plan to do a lot of shooting/reloading yourself then it pays off in the end. But, if you feel that your interest in reloading will die down in a year or so, then just wait and buy what you need when you need it.

I do all single stage, you will need to load allot to justify your investment.

If you go in three ways on a XL650 then its already justified. You can turn out more rounds which you need for three shooters and split the costs. Its not unusual to see that arrangement. If you guys want to load accurate rifle rounds the single stage press is your best option. I use both, a single stage for large rifle and the progressive press for small rifle and pistol. Read read read before you start loading rounds, you need to understand pressures like your primary language to get the most of your rounds safely.

One thing for sure, it is very rewarding to load your own. I am now also casting lead for 45, 44, & 38 calibers, plan to add 40 S&W soon, and eventually to swedge .223. Single stage press is slow for 45 & .223 I would agree. I am well outfitted for single stage but will prolly add a Lee classic progressive soon.

If you go in three ways on a XL650 then its already justified. You can turn out more rounds which you need for three shooters and split the costs. Its not unusual to see that arrangement. If you guys want to load accurate rifle rounds the single stage press is your best option. I use both, a single stage for large rifle and the progressive press for small rifle and pistol. Read read read before you start loading rounds, you need to understand pressures like your primary language to get the most of your rounds safely.

Ya its a five way split so costs are lower. Do you feel that loading out our target .223/5.56 on this machine will be good?

We are purchasing the load book and having an experienced reloader on hand to train for sure. To make sure everyone is aware of the dangers we all sat and watched reloading accident vids. Thats enough to scare you into paying attention.

Ya its a five way split so costs are lower. Do you feel that loading out our target .223/5.56 on this machine will be good?

We are purchasing the load book and having an experienced reloader on hand to train for sure. To make sure everyone is aware of the dangers we all sat and watched reloading accident vids. Thats enough to scare you into paying attention.

You have to understand that the less powder a case can handle the less leeway you have for consistency. If you have a magnum rifle cartridge that takes a large powder charge then a half grain more or less will not make much of a difference. If you have a small rifle then a half grain more or less will make more of a difference. With pistols it isn't as obvious because of the relatively low velocities and shorter effective range. Longer ranges will be effected exponentially with distance. You will need to spend an uncomfortable amount of time with your reloading instructor to understand reloading without really studying ballistics, velocity and pressure on your own. It comes from research and experience and no one person can teach you all that without you spending a lot of money for their time. Its good you watched vids with reloading mishaps, you should be very aware of what explosive pressures can do. Keep logs, keep your station clean, label your powder charger with the powder thats in it at the time and make sure you dont get your powders mixed. Understand the differences in powders..........It is a very steep learning curve but once you get it its pretty simple. Chemistry and physics.

The 300 AAC Blackout is on my short list, I'm rather new to the AR platform (Thanks Obama) but I love big bores...hello, Hayabusa...I can get a SS barrel for $150 & RCBS dies for 45. Pretty cheap gun...but I'm thinking a full upper may be a better choice...more research to be done. Seems like a silhouette round. Nice adder to the Stag 3G. Maybe once I get the RMR for the 45FNX Tactical that I just picked up...then a couple cans.. wife loves the stuff :whistle: I wonder If I can get it to pass for PA whitetail..

The 300 AAC Blackout is on my short list, I'm rather new to the AR platform (Thanks Obama) but I love big bores...hello, Hayabusa...I can get a SS barrel for $150 & RCBS dies for 45. Pretty cheap gun...but I'm thinking a full upper may be a better choice...more research to be done. Seems like a silhouette round. Nice adder to the Stag 3G. Maybe once I get the RMR for the 45FNX Tactical that I just picked up...then a couple cans.. wife loves the stuff :whistle: I wonder If I can get it to pass for PA whitetail..

I'm running a factory AAC 12.5" upper. Highly recommended!! 300 BLK Upper, 12.5" Barrel

I use to the the Dillon 650. It's a great press. For sure get the low primer sensor, you can't see them in the tubes so it's hard to know when you're running out. The low powder sensor is a waist of money. It doesn't t tell you if the amount of charge is correct in the shell, it tells you when the press is running low on powder so you don't load a shell without powder. The large tube that holds the powder is CLEAR. If you can't see when it's about to run out of powder then you don't need to worry about loading, because you're blind. Accessories like scales and tumblers.... Get whatever you like. Like other have mentioned. If your looking for accurate riffle rounds you will need a single stage press. The 650 is perfect for cranking out mass quantities of your target rounds and saves tons of money of you and your buddies are going together. Oh... Get the ball handle for it (if it's not a standard option now) it saves you hand and get the little trey to catch the rounds as the come off the press.

Back