Any Reloaders? Advice pls

i been thinking of getting a press...and you guys need to be aware about the last lead factory in america closing due to EPA regs...this means the government has effectively eliminated bullets!!

i been thinking of getting a press...and you guys need to be aware about the last lead factory in america closing due to EPA regs...this means the government has effectively eliminated bullets!!

Do you have any sources for this? Not that I am doubting your word, I would just like to learn a bit more about it.

I assume this would not be eliminating bullets altogether, maybe just to the general public?

Gpmo welcome to the madness.
Have not loaded in yrs but I first used a hand press to load like twenty .223 rnds.
After every one of them went boom I was hooked.

You mention powder and the diffs. Other than burn rates and shapes you'll find the with all other factors being the same a change of powder at same weight may yield a more accurate load. Some powders shoot 'soft' yet develop great velocities.
You cannot go wrong with a Dillon anything. And their customer service is second to none. I wouldn't worry so much about powder sensor but with that press you are getting you can untilize the quick change heads. Invest in those and the stands for them.
This way you load a set amount of one, swap heads, drop cases and maybe different primers and off you go again.
However once you get good and comfortable with the process you will most likely want to get a small single stage press for your target bolt guns. There's just something a lot more satisfying about slowly hand trimming and sizing a case and then priming it again by hand with just 'the feel' from having done it before, then you load your powder and seat the round making sure it's set in the case and turned 'just right', then slowly you pull the lever down and create another carbon copy of the last one you made. Then after about twenty to thirty minutes you can make another one. :laugh:

Keep accurate detailed records of everything no matter how small or insignificant it may seem. If you start having problems or success you'll want to be able to go back step by step and recreate or rectify things. Be careful and enjoy your newfound addiction. You'll soon be reading Speer loading manuals and dreaming of new loads you can make.
The beauty of reloading is that there are so many more loads and weights of bullets you can use in each caliber.

Rifle powders generally burn slower (stick powders) and are a little bit harder to meter, pistol powders are finer and burn faster, many variations.. get a few reloading books, ranging in age.

We try am go out every few weeks shoot roughly 200 rounds per weapon per person. Group of 6.

My wife is not happy with my current cost to shoot :p

also I would take any spent casing any time. shoot me paypal info and I will transfer shipping costs

I'll make sure I collect enough before I contact you. I don't shoot much of it (don't like dipping into my stock) but I simply hate throwing brass away...

I can probably do that for you. I need to research the cartridge whether it needs to be fire formed or not. I have a lot of resources for that cartridge and have shot it a few times but have not loaded it yet.

Again, I hate tossing brass.

I'm running a factory AAC 12.5" upper. Highly recommended!! 300 BLK Upper, 12.5" Barrel

Why the 12.5 Professor? From what I've read, you can go shorter with 300BLK than you can with 5.55 without issues. I'm going to build two pistols from stripped lowers. One of them I'm considering for 300BLK (suppressed subsonic)...

Keith on the 12.5 my guess would be for stability over longer distances.
12.5 as tested may be the shortest barrel that is still capable of decent accuracy at greater ranges.

Why a pistol in a rifle caliber? Never made sense to me?
An Sbr can do everything a pistol can do and more but not vice versa.
If it is registered as a pistol it is illegal to mount a forward grip on it, remember that.

Thanks for all the input Blanca its been great getting new information from you guys.

I talked to the guys today during our shooting trip and we have decided to get a single round hand press after the xl650. I'm looking forward to reading my reloaders book :p

Also have a buddy, the one that is going to train us on reloading on the 650 who has a local contact for projectiles. What are peoples thoughts on straight lead bullets VS jacketed? Through this guy we can get 500 rnds of 115gr 9mm Round nose for 33.95 no shipping as its local. My buddy has used his bullets for around 3 years with no issues, but i'm not used to shooting non jacketed bullets.

On a side note i got my 10/22 scope dialed in at 50 yards and hitting 150 yard 8" target from a standing position. Bipod is in the mail will have it this coming weekend. Love my 10/22 one of my most favorite rifles i've ever owned. Plus won a game of our version of shooters texas holdem poker. Good shooting day.

Why the 12.5 Professor? From what I've read, you can go shorter with 300BLK than you can with 5.55 without issues. I'm going to build two pistols from stripped lowers. One of them I'm considering for 300BLK (suppressed subsonic)...

Everything I could get my hands on indicated the 12.5 was more consistent in operations with various combinations of ammo with and without a suppressor. Once I got the combo sorted out I have ran it with 220grn Subsonic, 110 Barns Vortex, 115 grn UMC, and 125 grn Match, all suppressed and un-suppressed.

I like the idea of a 9" and would like to add one to my collection one of these days. I'm really impressed with the AAC upper. The included KRC URX rail is pretty nice.

Keith on the 12.5 my guess would be for stability over longer distances.
12.5 as tested may be the shortest barrel that is still capable of decent accuracy at greater ranges.

Why a pistol in a rifle caliber? Never made sense to me?
An Sbr can do everything a pistol can do and more but not vice versa.
If it is registered as a pistol it is illegal to mount a forward grip on it, remember that.

Everything I could get my hands on indicated the 12.5 was more consistent in operations with various combinations of ammo with and without a suppressor. Once I got the combo sorted out I have ran it with 220grn Subsonic, 110 Barns Vortex, 115 grn UMC, and 125 grn Match, all suppressed and un-suppressed.

I like the idea of a 9" and would like to add one to my collection one of these days. I'm really impressed with the AAC upper. The included KRC URX rail is pretty nice.

Here's why: These are stripped lowers. You can build them (and document) as a pistol with whatever upper you want (and suppressed once you get a supressor stamp back too); you can then submit the lowers at any time after documenting they were first built as a pistol as an SBR, and can enjoy as pistol while the NFA weaves it's merry web for a year or more, then engrave and put the fixed stock on when the stamp comes back. You can also revert back to a pistol and remove from the registry as your choice. But you CANNOT start as a SBR, then convert to pistol (as with a factory-built SBR which has been on order for a year now).

So by building as a pistol first, you can legally have all the goodies while you wait a year for your SBR stamps should you choose.

P.S. Have you seen that new pistol brace 100% legal (so far) like this: Sig Sauer M400 PISTOL 5.56mm 30rd Mag W/ Brace NIB : Semi Auto Pistols at GunBroker.com

Thank you for all the advice you have given me Professor!!! I need you to school me on LPK's!!!

I had the chance to run a mag of 300BLK yesterday, 100 yards, small pumpkin... I liked it very much. Soft yet solid thumps . Pumpkin was in fact harmed, confirmed kill....

I have a Dillon Square deal. I bought it new in 1999 and have loaded thousands or rounds of 45 ACP never a problem , good company. Gun show tomorrow I am going to see if it can be blocked for 5.7X28.

Dillon's are recognized to be the industry standard....so you are buying a good one.

Back