any reason for not using t3/t4 framed turbos?

reaper0995

Registered
hey, so mine that i am building is an evo III 16g, but i am curious....i see a few guys with the larger turbo setups, and wanted to know why not use a t3/t4 framed turbo? the mitsubishi turbos get expensive past the 16g's, so i can understand why people dont use those, but with the immense amount of a/r housings, center sections, and compressor/turbines....why not use one of those? there are tons of them around, and so parts are easy to get...

just curious if there is some not so obvious reason for using some of the other turbo's. not bashing other turbo or nothing, dont get me wrong, but just been wondering for a little while, thought i might finally ask.

I am running a garrett on my new bike, well not completely built yet, I am still mocking everything up, having some tire clearance issues right now, might have to rake or put a smaller front wheel / tire on there.

On a serious note, I think Mike Shank from SH.org had a t3/t4 on his bike earlier this year, then later swapped to a K27 turbo.

Greg

100_2212.jpg

100_2211.jpg

100_2163.jpg

100_2164.jpg

hey smitha, i remember those!! what is the DP from? did that turbo used to be in an old school bike like an older bandit or something where the turbo mounted on the backside of the motor?

Yeah its outta my 88 turbo EXP, turbo originally came off a grand national, has a 3 inch downpipe HEHE.

Used to be a fun car, need to put it back together, had it since high school LOL.

12.85 @115 mph on drag radials spinning like a mofo. And still gets 28 + mpg

cool, i always like the look of really small turbos....and really large ones....pretty much cant go wrong with any turbo
biggrin.gif

the car originally had an IHI RHB5 or something on it, about half the size of the current garret, would hit full boost really really early, and choke like a SOB at 4500 RPM, killer for the street, but couldn't hardly run any boost on pump gas.

I was running 12 psi on mid grade for a year with no water or intercooler with the larger turbo.

I love the naked/streetfighter look,but I think your foot will hit the dp when you peddle. I took the peddles off my Busa.

Back