Any point adding a power commander to a bone stock bike?

Hi guys,

Is there any point adding a power commander to a bone stock bike?

At this point I'm not planning to change the stock exhaust. It's heavy, but it's quiet - I don't want them to hear me coming.... oh and it's way cheaper than buying a full exhaust package!

I know very little about tuning except that generally stock mapping can be lean and restricted due to regulations.

A few more ponies and faster acceleration would be nice, but also a smoother more linear power curve would also be desirable.

So any point in a power commander on a stocker? Or better off with the ECU Flash?

Which Power Commander would you recommend, or is there anybody you can send your ECU to have flashed for a stock bike?

What's the best way to go? Or just leave it alone?

Thanks.

On a stock bike, that you’re not going to take to a dyno, a basic ecu Reflash is better for the seat of the pants feel in improvements.

Just adding a power commander and not having the bike tuned is just throwing your money away.

Bone stock bikes pick up 4-8whp with just a tune.

If I do get a full exhaust system in the future isn't a AFR tune pretty much mandatory? don't bikes pick up 15-30 hp with a full exhaust and tune?....sounds like your saying even with a full exhaust a tune doesn't make a hell of a lot of a difference?
I have heard of people running ZX-14s with full exhausts on stock fueling and there is no problem. With the expense of a full system, it makes sense to tune it properly so you get the extra power you paid for. How much is that extra power.........hmmmm....well I guess it's there. Can I say I felt a HUGE change....no not really. Not like the bikes wheelie unexpectedly after a full exhaust and tune. The race exhaust is a lot lighter though and it does add some power. Never dynoed but a max of 15-18 hp according to what I read. No way will a full system add 30 hp on it's own.

If I remember correctly, his 2014 Gen 2 has a full exhaust system with no AFR tuning except a basic flash to the ECU.

The stock tuning is often very rich. There is plenty of fuel there to accommodate the improved flow of a full system. I guess it is always possible there could be a lean spot in in the stock fueling but if that were an issue, we'd hear about it.

Thanks @Mythos , ill probably just leave it for now, but If I do get a full exhaust system in the future isn't a AFR tune pretty much mandatory? don't bikes pick up 15-30 hp with a full exhaust and tune?....sounds like your saying even with a full exhaust a tune doesn't make a hell of a lot of a difference?
The only exhaust I know of that picks up that much HP is a turbo.

For the life of me can’t figure out why guys will spend in upwards to $2k on a full exhaust, and not spend the $400 for a full tune. The Brock’s base maps, and most dynojet maps are complete garbage. Most are WAY too fat, and kill power but most think they’ve picked up power because the bike is louder now. There’s many bikes I’ve tuned that the base maps were actually dangerously lean.

I have heard of people running ZX-14s with full exhausts on stock fueling and there is no problem. With the expense of a full system, it makes sense to tune it properly so you get the extra power you paid for. How much is that extra power.........hmmmm....well I guess it's there. Can I say I felt a HUGE change....no not really. Not like the bikes wheelie unexpectedly after a full exhaust and tune. The race exhaust is a lot lighter though and it does add some power. Never dynoed but a max of 15-18 hp according to what I read. No way will a full system add 30 hp on it's own.

The stock tuning is often very rich. There is plenty of fuel there to accommodate the improved flow of a full system. I guess it is always possible there could be a lean spot in in the stock fueling but if that were an issue, we'd hear about it.
Does the engine have to melt a piston first to know it’s lean?

I show guys all the time how lean their untuned bike really runs. Being N/A, you can run them extremely lean before doing severe engine damage. Just because it pulls through the entire rpm without grenading, doesn’t mean it’s right.

Does the engine have to melt a piston first to know it’s lean?

I show guys all the time how lean their untuned bike really runs. Being N/A, you can run them extremely lean before doing severe engine damage. Just because it pulls through the entire rpm without grenading, doesn’t mean it’s right.
HI. I have seen a 100% stock bike put a hole in a piston. It was run hard for a few miles.

Being N/A, you can run them extremely lean before doing severe engine damage. Just because it pulls through the entire rpm without grenading, doesn’t mean it’s right.

I agree. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. Especially in the upper revs, you could be having some risky lean spots. Even if you're not racing and need every ounce of power you can get out of the bike, it's wise to to be safe about how you run your engine.

Back