any physics buffs?

Jet Li

What is the AWESOME????
Donating Member
Registered
Just doing a little recreational reading and came across this really interesting piece on light. Funny,never even touched this stuff back in college. Have read many articles and books about quantum mechanics, particle physics, string, and brane theories, etc... but never seen this perspective......

Things can travel faster than light; and light doesn’t always travel very fast.

The speed of light in a vacuum is a constant: 300,000km a second. However, light does not always travel through a vacuum. In water, for example, photons travel at around three-quarters that speed.

In nuclear reactors, some particles are forced up to very high speeds, often within a fraction of the speed of light. If they are passing through an insulating medium that slows light down, they can actually travel faster than the light around them.

When this happens, they cause a blue glow, known as “Cherenkov radiation â€￾, which is (sort of) comparable to a sonic boom but with light. This is why nuclear reactors glow in the dark.

Incidentally, the slowest light has ever been recorded travelling was 17 meters per second – about 38 miles an hour – through rubidium cooled to almost absolute zero, when it forms a strange state of matter called a Bose-Einstein condensate.

Light has also been brought to a complete stop in the same fashion, but since that wasn't moving at all, we didn't feel we could describe that as "the slowest it has been recorded travelling".

When they stopped it was it as if I was shinning on a wall? Gonna have to Google this...

That kind of stuff always gives me a.headache when I think about it.to much.
Droid via Tapatalk

Somebody had way too much fine on their hands... :D

Posted from my HTC EVO using tapatalk...

When they stopped it was it as if I was shinning on a wall? Gonna have to Google this...

That kind of stuff always gives me a.headache when I think about it.to much.
Droid via Tapatalk

Light doesn't stop when it hits a wall, it changes direction. If it stopped, you wouldn't see the wall.

physics is such an unending subject in my eyes. I wish I started paying attention to the subject at a younger age. There's still so much to learn. :thumbsup:

Light doesn't stop when it hits a wall, it changes direction. If it stopped, you wouldn't see the wall.

Depends on the pigment on the wall and what the wall is made of doesn't it? Some of the light may be absorbed thereby not reflecting the entire spectrum, which is what gives us color. If all the light is reflected we see the entire spectrum combined therefore in our vision we see white light coming back at us.. A red flower absorbs all the wavelengths except those in the red part of the spectrum, so we only see red light coming back at us. So, I guess some light is stopped, sometimes?

I passed that class with flying colors..:laugh:

findx.gif

You are lost and walking down a road. You want to get to town and know the road leads to town but
don't know which direction. You meet two twin boys. You know one boy always tells the truth and one
always lies. The boys know the direction to town. You cannot tell the boys apart and can only
ask one question to one boy to find the direction to town. What question should you ask?

Maybe when you're done with light you can look into gravity. Randy and I have been having this discussion of late.

:laugh: Coming back to this thread after I've had my caffeine

Pretty interesting that light could move as slow as 38 mph...I'd like to see a vid of that.

You are lost and walking down a road. You want to get to town and know the road leads to town but
don't know which direction. You meet two twin boys. You know one boy always tells the truth and one
always lies. The boys know the direction to town. You cannot tell the boys apart and can only
ask one question to one boy to find the direction to town. What question should you ask?

Where did I put my GPS?

Back