Any Nissan pickup owners

Gpmo

Registered
Been looking at picking up a 2000-2009 Nissan Titan or frontier. Or same year Toyota Tacoma or Tundra. Prices here on anything Toyota is really high in my area.. But the Nissans seem to be holding their own in what i have read, but no one i know owns one. This would be a weekend truck/camping truck. not used daily. I've been asking my folks about every other week to borrow theirs so i figured i should get my own after about 1 year of that. Stupid house upgrades :p

Thanks a head of time!

Hit up gsxrbots. Pretty sure he rocks a titan.
212fb3d3.jpg
[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 2010 Frontier crew cab 4x4. Its been pretty much maintenance free. It gets about 21 mpg on the highway but sucks in town.

Have had only on issue. Thee passenger side air bag sensor failed, and its about $2000.00 to replace. Still fighting Nissan on that one. :banghead:

But I wouldn't be afraid to buy another Nissan.:thumbsup:

I have a 2010 Frontier crew cab 4x4. Its been pretty much maintenance free. It gets about 21 mpg on the highway but sucks in town.

Have had only on issue. Thee passenger side air bag sensor failed, and its about $2000.00 to replace. Still fighting Nissan on that one. :banghead:

But I wouldn't be afraid to buy another Nissan.:thumbsup:

I was wondering about how nissan treated folks. I know i would be buying a used but would likely use a dealership for maintenance.

How is the ride quality and how does it work for around the house chores like hardware runs and landscaping runs?

May end up towing a Tab or like tab teardrop camper and we are also getting a UTV next year sometime.

LOVE my Titan. There's quite a few of us Titan owners here!

Like my last post, how is the ride and the dealer care? I assume it wouldn't have issues with the around house loads i would need or the towing. But it is quite a bit bigger than the frontier. Whats the actual MPG and such?

Thanks a lot fokls

The ride in my truck is fantastic. We take it everywhere (it's the new family vehicle LOL) I have a Crew Cab 4x4 and it's the best riding 4x4 I've owned yet.

I've had issues with it (bought it new) but none more than any other truck I've ever owned (plenty of Fords, couple Chevys, etc) nothing major, simple stupid stuff (seat problems, front diff seal went out replaced under warranty)

My battery died, and I was in the middle of nowhere last winter. I went to the auto parts store, bought a new battery. When I went to the dealer for my next oil change, I told them about it, and they told me to call Nissan customer support.

WOW, what a sigh of relief! I got the nicest care I've EVER gotten from customer service. They mailed me out a check the same day to for the battery replacement. Even covered the tax.

I've been NOTHING but satisfied with my Titan, and I'll be keeping this one for a while. Normally I'm looking at new trucks every other year, but I've had this one 3 years, and haven't shopped at all for a new truck so that's sayin' something.

I get 19-20 mpg on the freeway (I have the non BIG TOW package so I get better mileage than the big tow guys with lower gears) and all in all, I'm totally happy with my purchase.

993476_10202206502638287_1452332239_n.jpg

603614_10200675318639644_784086724_n.jpg

397183_4324878654436_1787935002_n.jpg

993476_10202206502638287_1452332239_n.jpg

603614_10200675318639644_784086724_n.jpg

397183_4324878654436_1787935002_n.jpg

I was wondering about how nissan treated folks. I know i would be buying a used but would likely use a dealership for maintenance.

How is the ride quality and how does it work for around the house chores like hardware runs and landscaping runs?

May end up towing a Tab or like tab teardrop camper and we are also getting a UTV next year sometime.

I bought mine used when it was 2 years old with 22,000 miles. All scheduled maintenance has been done at the Nissan dealer. At 51k the air bag sensor went out and it was just out of warranty. Was told it was to old with to many miles on it. Guess they considered 51k was wore out. But the drivetrain warranty is still on it. Would buy another Nissan but not without extended warranty.

I have owned 2 frontiers (2005 and 2007). They were restyled to the current model in 2005. Both were great trucks with plenty of power for a v6. I know there is a issue with the 2005 to around 2010 with the automatic transmission cooler corroding from the inside and letting antifreeze into the transmission. The transmission cooler and radiator are one unit. This has been a issue and nissan will not cover it although they know it is a issue. I think they changed the radiator/cooler after 2010 to fix this. If you get one with a manual trans though you don't have to worry about this although I heard the clutch was very weak in these as they are the same clutch/pressure plate used in the 350z and certainly not up to truck duty. Good luck with what ever you decide.

I bought a 2005 Model 4D/2WD Nissan Titan LE slightly used w/ 15K on the odo in early 2007 for $26K...it now has 90K miles on it and I still own and love it...

TITAN1.jpg

It's extremely well laid out and the rear seating is roomier and more comfortable than any 4D sedan....

TITAN2.jpg

and even 9 years and 90K miles later?...."Nothing"...has broke down and?...."Everything".....still works...all the electric windows (including the back window)...and the 10 speaker 350W Rockford/Fosgate Sound System...

TITAN3.jpg

I did have one problem with it where there was an issue with a module in the ECU that took out the low beam headlights that was covered under a recall....outside of that?...the 5.6 Overhead Cam V8 still rocks like new and I got 22mpg highway with my busa strapped in the back and rear seating area loaded with gear and cooler headed too Phillips Motel for Busa Rallies....I've also had many other truck owners who rode with me compliment the truck telling me how it rode much smoother than theirs and exhibited far more power.

It's pretty much proven itself to be the most maintenance-free, best vehicle I've ever owned.

The only other thing I would express to you is this...I've also owned a Chevy S10, Chevy Step-side Sliverado, Toyota Tacoma, Toyota Tundra, a Ford Ranger and a F150 and I will never buy a "Compact Truck" again...imho?...the miniscule mpg gains of the compacts don't even come close to justifying what you give up between owning and driving a TRUCK...or a toy.

I would also recommend giving some deep hard thought as to whether or not you really "NEED" 4WD...if you absolutely need it?....by all mean get it...but fuel mileage goes down and costs go up...as does the potential for problems down the road....my father put it best when he told me...

"For what it costs to have 4WD?...you could put a brand new 4-Wheeler in the back and NOT abuse your beautiful $40K truck."

and yes...I hate it when he makes sense like that....but also realize that some folks live in areas where the do..."Absolutely Need"...4WD.

Hope that helps and L8R, Bill. :cool:

Almost need the 4wd to make it through mosquito season here. Lol.

image-2728557853.jpg

Here's my girl doin some lawn work this past weekend.

image-4054265425.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

image-2728557853.jpg

image-4054265425.jpg

Thanks for all the responses and write ups. Its great having that when making a large purchase. I have been going back and forth on the 4wd vs 2wd. We like to go camping and such so 4wd would be nice... and while it wouldn't be a need we do live in Colorado. But we are also planning on buying a Rzr and possibly one of the tear drop campers.. Looking at those and truck bed tent set ups. I really like the look and styl of the titan and how roomie it seems to be. I worry about bed size a bit though., they look so short and i would need at least a 6 foot to accomplish weekend warrior house projects.

Also love how many pictures you all have of yours, its like me with my busa.

On a side note i have zero need for a diesel. :)

I'm not gonna lie Gpmo, I didn't want the short bed. I didn't want a Crew Cab. I bought mine for the right money, it was almost 2 and a half years old brand new at the dealership. I didn't want chrome, I didn't want 20" rims, etc etc. I wanted an extended cab Pro4x.. 4 months after I bought this truck (simply based on price) my wife got pregnant. I'd have been miserable in an extended cab truck. The bed is hardly ever an issue for me since I have a trailer. I also have the bed extender, and you'd be surprised what you can fit in there with it. For me the 4wd is a must, but I can understand why you might think otherwise. The traction control in these works very well and I don't use 4wd until it gets very nasty.

Ya know?...I had a knot in my gut posting about how great my '05 Nissan Titan has been for the last 9 years and 90K miles...and believe it or not?...just several hours after posting that I ran to the grocery store...and got home Thank God...but as I shifted into reverse to back up my driveway?...I heard the engine free spool and then Bam!...slammed into reverse...which is odd because my tranny has always shifted like buttah...thought maybe I just caught the shifter between notches and tapped the pedal at the wrong time but as I exited my truck?...as soon as I opened the door I smelled it...that oh so familiar odor of years past....burning tranny fluid...popped the hood but no need...cause as soon as I stepped to the front of the truck?...there it was...a big pink puddle. :(

But in my misfortune?...in a way?...I lucked out big time here and what follows is the reason why I post this...

I guess I've been a bit remiss in keeping up with all things Nissan....I just kept the oil and filter changed, my K&N filter clean...fuel in the tank and michelins on the rims...and the trucks been so maintenance/trouble free?...coupled with every time I asked the salesman about plugs, tune-up, coolant...he kept repeating to me that I have nothing to worry about for the next 100K miles...and today?...I just spent $960 and I'm tickled chitless that's all it cost me and here's why....

[video=youtube_share;cAOcbKVrjQ8]http://youtu.be/cAOcbKVrjQ8[/video]

and after stumbling upon that little jewel?...I ran out to my truck to check and Thank God?...mine was just a blown tranny hose...no coolant in the tranny and no tranny fluid in the coolant..."cross-contamination"...which can immediately trash your $5K ($6,500 new through Nissan) tranny...because here's how it works....and/or?...DESTROYS....

There is in fact a separate trans fluid cooler but tranny lines also run through the radiator...not to keep the tranny fluid cool but to warm it up and get it flowing from cold starts in cold climates...some have bypassed this "Heating Circuit"...(with the thought in mind that they are are eliminating the potential of catastrophic tranny failure due to cross-contamination where the old tranny lines in the old radiator get corroded and breached)...but then when the temps drop?...their trannys fail to shift in an appropriate fashion until the tranny fluid gets up to temp...so?...not good either...so what do you do?...like I did today with my 9year old 90K mile Titan....

Mechanic: Great news...you're right...it was just your tranny hose, it's only going to be about $200 and we're almost done here.

Me: No you're not...I want a new radiator and hoses installed as well. (told him why...he laughed and said "Good Call!")

He called me back while he was installing the new radiator and told me something else I already knew...my 90K mile 9 year old OEM serpenteen belt was dry, cracking and getting frayed on the backside telling me now would be a great time to replace that and their only $50 plus $10 to install...me?...absolutely...do it...and while you're under there?..I'm do for an oil change as well...might as well get it all taken care of while you have it...and BTW?...I only run synth in that truck..so here was todays damages....

New Rad (The big one...I have the "Tow Package"): $250
Rad Install Labor: 3.5 Hrs @ $75....$262.50
Coolant: (2) @ $16.99....$33.98
Upper Rad Hose: $21.99
Two Piece Lower Rad Hoses: $46.99
Serpentine Belt Installed: $60.00
TypeJ Nissan Trans Fluid: (I lost 8qts...it takes 18qts.) @ $8.99qt. $79.92
Towing: $51.00
Trans Hose: $19.99
8qt Synth Oil Change & Filter: $79.99
Tax: $58.91
Total: $965.27

For truck I just bragged about yesterday! :banghead:

Butcha know what?....9 years old?...90K miles?....and that's all I ever had to do to it beside fuel, oil changes and tires?...and didn't destroy my $5K tranny?....I got lucky! :)

Bottom line?....if you buy/own/keep a Nissan Frontier, Pathfinder, Titan or Armada?....and get towards the 80-100K mile mark?...change your Rad because your transmission lines run through it and breach those at that sort of mileage?...and it's throw the truck away time.

Now in no way, shape or form am I trying to dissuade anyone from buying or taking ownership of a Nissan product...matter fact despite my current events here...I Still Love My Truck...and am ecstatic that I caught this in time and educated myself in the process so...

I Just thought I'd share that here and give the Nissan owning folks here "A Heads-Up" and L8R, Bill. :cool:

i had an 07 frontier crew cab. loved the truck. I believe they make a tent specific for the frontier; at least that's what the sales guy told me. Of course you cant beat the power and looks of a Titan.

I had a 04 Nissan Titan. Was a great truck. Had the off-road and tow package. Only issue was the front brakes. They were replaced under warranty though. Gas mileage was 13 mpg no matter what. Tons of power. But when gas was costing me more than my payment and insurance it had to go.

Back