Any "legal" places to put your license plate?

merczab

Registered
I used to own a Kawa Ninja, and I put my license plate deep near my rear tire, (I'm sure you guys have seen it before), it's not entirely legal, but I hear it's a secondary offense?
Do you guys have places where you put your plates, so that you don't get flashed by speed cameras?
My friend has a Harley and he has a stock license plate holder that hangs out the side of his bike, and folds out and in.

I used to own a Kawa Ninja, and I put my license plate deep near my rear tire, (I'm sure you guys have seen it before), it's not entirely legal, but I hear it's a secondary offense?
Do you guys have places where you put your plates, so that you don't get flashed by speed cameras?
My friend has a Harley and he has a stock license plate holder that hangs out the side of his bike, and folds out and in.

I wish our bike had an after market plate holder like the harley. It would be perfect for the toll way. Let me know if you find any thing

1000 dollar fine here for the 1st time 2nd time is 5000 3rd is your license gone for 10 years I think. Used to have a lot of people rolling around here like that not to many left. :whistle: Some just removed it completely and say "it must have fallen off". file a lost tag report get a brand spanking new one with a case # and 5 dollars. I didn't do anything like that but have had to file 2 lost plate reports so far so I am familiar with the process :azzangel:

TN states min 12" from ground and mounted horizontal.

2012-05-27_19-53-33_632.jpg

1000 dollar fine here for the 1st time 2nd time is 5000 3rd is your license gone for 10 years I think. Used to have a lot of people rolling around here like that not to many left. :whistle: Some just removed it completely and say "it must have fallen off". file a lost tag report get a brand spanking new one with a case # and 5 dollars. I didn't do anything like that but have had to file 2 lost plate reports so far so I am familiar with the process :azzangel:

well i dont want those fines for sure. Thats a good idea. I wonder is having the tag mounted under the tail like shown in Lankeeyankee picture legal in texas. Im have to check the tag laws

merczab,
maybe check the local DMV guidelines for your state???

TN states min 12" from ground and mounted horizontal.
completely ILLEGAL.

Every registration plate shall at all times be securely fastened in a horizontal position to the vehicle for which it is issued so to prevent the plate from swinging and at a height of not less than twelve inches (12²) from the ground, measuring from the bottom of the plate, in a place and position to be clearly visible and shall be maintained free from foreign materials and in a condition to be clearly legible. No tinted materials may be placed over a license plate even if the information upon the license plate is not concealed.

Everyone should check their state laws. Here it's 12" no more than 36" from the road, just changed it so it could be mounted vertical or horizontal, clearly visible from 50' , lighted of course, clear cover only, no rings that obstruct plate and decals, blah, blah, blah :laugh:

completely ILLEGAL.

Every registration plate shall at all times be securely fastened in a horizontal position to the vehicle for which it is issued so to prevent the plate from swinging and at a height of not less than twelve inches (12²) from the ground, measuring from the bottom of the plate, in a place and position to be clearly visible and shall be maintained free from foreign materials and in a condition to be clearly legible. No tinted materials may be placed over a license plate even if the information upon the license plate is not concealed.

Its meets the 12" min its securely mounted horizontal.
It is clearly visible at a certain angle. TN law doesnt state any where it has to be "clearly visible from all angles or from a certain distance, so technically its clearly visible at certain angles. I have been in front of numerous police cars local, state in TN, KY, NC, and AL and never had an issue. If the plate was bent up and it wasnt clearly visible then YES it would be illegal. Dismissed.

on one of my old bikes I had it in front of the rear tire like that, and even put a light on it to be 100% legal. The only problem was, it was legal with me on it, but once I had a passenger, the bike sat lower and the plate was blocked by the tire!! I did not realize it, and got pulled over by a cop. He was not too bad, since I could pull it out and put it back in the stock location (mount was still there, it was small) he did not give me a ticket. (I really did not realize it was not visible)

i think in wisconsin your "supposed to" have it in the factory location. my gsxr i had tucked infront of the tire with a light on it. never was stopped the busa i liked it off the back and why waste that light that comes off the bottom of the tail light :)
busa103.jpg

busa102.jpg

busa105.jpg

i made this bracket that bolted right on the back of the taillight. had to knotch the undertail a bit to fit it but i like it :)
DSC01624.jpg

Its meets the 12" min its securely mounted horizontal.
It is clearly visible at a certain angle. TN law doesnt state any where it has to be "clearly visible from all angles or from a certain distance, so technically its clearly visible at certain angles. I have been in front of numerous police cars local, state in TN, KY, NC, and AL and never had an issue. If the plate was bent up and it wasnt clearly visible then YES it would be illegal. Dismissed.
you took a picture from 3 feet away and the plate is already obstructed by ur tire and thats WITHOUT you on it which would make it even more unreadable when the rear shock is depressed. what do you think a cop who has a hard on for bikes is gonna think from a reasonable distance of 50 feet away? hes gonna think its not clearly readable if he has to struggle to read ur license plate which he would obviously have to to read it.

being visible at a certain angle is not CLEARLY VISIBLE. clearly visible is visible at ANY angle.

I see guys with their plate positioned there all the time and its illegal in every state. a plate needs to be clearly readable from the rear. urs is clearly NOT. when a plate is tucked up under ur tire like that its clearly NOT readable from the rear. just because no one has stopped you doesnt mean its legal. Dismissed.

Lets be honest; you wish to be unlawful :laugh:

License plate retractor flipper by red biker products

- Hide License Plate by switch/remote (car/motorcycle)

Motorcycle Stealth Plate Frame (China, GB-666AM) - China Motorcycle Plate Frame, Motorbike Stealth Plate Frame, Proof License Plate Frame in Other Motorcycle Parts & Accessories

I've been waiting to see if its illegal or not. so far had 2 chp and a sheriff tell me it was ok....
97a58c5c.jpg

b2469184.jpg

f0ff71f0.jpg

Check your state laws. I know you've heard of officers discretion. The next one might put paper in your hand if there's an issue.

Back