Any ideas???

Pecan Pouch

P-squared, Poochie or US Marine
Registered
Last weekend while out riding I stopped at a friends house for a little bit, when I went to leave the busa would not start. She turned over fine but I never did hear the fuel pump kick on. I tired it for a couple of minutes off and on and she finally started and I rode it home (30 + miles) and then rode around a little bit the next few days with no problems. I went to take her out the other day and she did it again. Turned over but would not start. Pulled the fuel line off at the tank and turned the key on and nothing, no fuel coming out. So I turned to the trusty Org. did searches on this problem :rulez:. I ended up checking/testing the side stand/turn signal relay (it tested good per the book). I tested the side stand switch and wiring it seemed to be ok. I put a test light on the power wire going to the fuel pump and turned the key on, there was power there for a few seconds like there should be. So I take it that I need to buy a new fuel pump or is there something else that I should check before doing that? This is on a 2003 bike that has stock fuel system, stock ecu, stock wiring harness. :please::please: help

I was gonna suggest fuel pump relay, but it def sounds like the fuel pump. Without looking at the circuit, I might have to take power from the battery to the pump and see what happens.

Sounds like the fuel pump relay. (Under the driver seat, behind the left panel.) I had this same problem. You have to test it with að voltmeter. Mine tested Ok. by a test lamp but only gave 9 volts out when tested by a digital voltmeter. The pump needs at least 10 volts to run.

Aren't the fuel pump relay and fan relay the same part # (according to the numbers on my relays they are the same)? I swapped them and still nothing. I also applied 12 volts to the yellow/red wire and still nothing. The yellow/red wire is getting 10-12 volts for the few seconds that it has power when the key is switched on.

I'm not real familiar with the fuel pump but is there a filter that may be causing grief?

All the fuses have been checked, multiple times. I will unhook the battery tomorrow and see what that does.

Aren't the fuel pump relay and fan relay the same part # (according to the numbers on my relays they are the same)? I swapped them and still nothing. I also applied 12 volts to the yellow/red wire and still nothing. The yellow/red wire is getting 10-12 volts for the few seconds that it has power when the key is switched on.

Yes they are the same. If the relay is Ok. then the pump is the next to test. Unplug the pump and connect it directly to a battery and se if it runs. If not you can give it a couple of knocs vith a light hammer and se what happens.

Could be a fuel pump like they are saying. Kind of a rare thing but what could be happening is this. A fuel pump is a very simple thing, you have a motor that turns gears which in turn sucks fuel (an explanation of as few of words as possible). Say that somehow corrosion started building up on something, inside the motor itself, or on the bearings that allow the motor to spin which is causing a bearing to hang (more than likely, the brass bearing). What will happen is this, when that motor gets shut off sometimes it sticks in that spot were the corrosion is, sometimes not, however when the motor is on and spinning the inertia of the thing is keeping it going and will allow it to run fine. You cycle it a few times, or you tap the fuel pump a little bit, it can jar itself from that spot for one full rotation and again, inertia keeps it going.

Mind you, this is theoretical, this could be your problem and it may be something else. However if the relays are good, you are getting power to the fuel pump (assuming you have tested the wire at the fuel pump and the fuel pump ground) I dont see what else the problem really could be. At this point it would be a safe bet to replace the fuel pump.

Well it looks like I will be ordering a fuel pump. I took it out of the tank then took it apart and hooked it to 12 volts to the pump itself. It just sat there and hummed but would not turn/pump. so I smacked it a few times and it started to move. Smacked it again and it started to work right. So I cleaned everything up, put it all back together and the bike fired right up. For having a clean tank the filter was a little dirty.

So now the question is can I buy just the pump or do I need to buy the entire thing from suzuki.

Back