Any facts on how old a new tire shouldn't be?

spotrot

Registered
Searched all over locally and finally found the right size BT 016 Pro Bridgestone tire for the front. The parts guy said they had 2, over in the service area. So I drove over and asked for the newest one. Both were dated 1516 - a little over 4 years old. I hesitated but this tire was still much better and much newer than the one on the bike, and the bike is now primarily used for short trips with the wife on board.

TireRack spokesman Woody says tires don't age when stored in climate controlled areas - but they have a reason to say that. I searched the web but can't find any actual research on how much /how slowly tires age while stored. LOTS of opinions but no actual tests on age effects when storing tires.

In any case, it may be worth asking the age of a tire before going to get it.

Just like the dealer said, 4-6 yrs is ok if they've been out of the sun in a climate controlled area...that tire should be GTG.

I had a new car in 94 and noticed one day the tires were cracking when the car was 6 months old...the dealer I went to (different than the one I bought the car at) checked the date codes and told me the tires were 6 yrs old...the good thing is they replaced the tires through warranty..

One never knows and as the car was bought new, checking tire codes was not even on my mind...

I just put a new front tyre on the wing and was pleasantly surprised it s built date was this year Helmets on the other hand are a different story I have looked long and hard but its virtually impossible to get a helmet that s made this year :thumbsup:

Tire ply glue between air ply to tread ply is good for 8 years . After that most makers say the tire is no longer of safe use . I hope you got a good deal on them being nearly 5 years old . I can tell you a fresh tire feels much softer than a aged tire new on shelf of exact model/brand . I've passed on many left over dealer tires new that had date codes of 2 plus years old .

Can not speak to the particular tyre you were looking for But for myself I never buy a tire that is three year old or more. Very often look round for something within two years if at all possible But like c10 says they are good for more if they air properly stored
I do not have that luxury on ce they are mounted

Back