Any downhill skiers?

CrashBomb

Registered
Any of you guys or girls snow ski? It's been awhile since I've done it and I want to get back into it this winter.

I've always been more of a water skier than a snow skier but boat problems kept me out of the water for most of this summer and I'd like to get out on the snow over the winter to make up for it (not that they're at all similar, I just think of them in the same context for obvious reasons)

Anyway, my question is; what is a decent ski/binding/boot package that won't kill me my first time on the slopes in ten years but that isn't going to leave me wanting as soon as I get my legs back under me.

I've been looking at the Head C 200 series with Tyrolia bindings. Specifically, I'm interested in the C 220I. A salesman recommended the C 200 CP9 or the C 210 as cheaper "beginner" alternatives but a couple of people I talked to said they'd started on similar skis and wanted something more right away when they progressed just past beginner stages.

So the C 220I looks like pretty much the next one up in the line without being too radical. I also like the "EZ-ON 2 9.5." boots. They fit well when I tried them on and that EZ-Walk thing is pretty cool when you want to walk around without clump clump clumping like an angry stormtrooper. Any one who has any experience with this combination (or any parts thereof) and wants to chime in? Your help will be greatly appreciated.

And even if you don't ski on this particular set up, any other input will be great. Any reasons I should or should not look at other brands? What's your experience with Head's quality? I've had Rossingols and K-2s, how do they stack up?

Oh, I should add that I'm not exactly Jean-Claude Killy or anything but I used to do pretty well for myself. And I'm obviously looking for an eastern ski, I don't see myself taking a vacation to Vail or Aspen this winter and if I do in the future I'll probably buy something different for that anyway.

Save your cash and try various combinations at some of the better ski supply/rental shops. Try them out a few times before you decide to dish out major dough for a set that will see only the beginning of one season. You'll get your ski legs back in no time and will want to spring for an advanced set probably after the first or second outing.
Around here in Europe, I will go to the factories in Austria/Slovenia/Swtzerland for the best deals on new gear. Otherwise I am going to get some stuff through EBAY.DE since those wonderful Germans always buy new kit and pimp their old stuff there.
Ski Chalet in the Metro Washington Region has great rental combos and your area may have something like this too.

I'm with Projekt. Take the time and rent a bunch. Also, Ski Magazine always has the reviews for each item. Those will help you out in your decision. I would not buy new either - but that's just a personal thing.

I got brand new Rossi Bandit XX's off eBay with the Rossi binding for 1/2 the cost at the store. They were the previous year's model - but that's fine. I don't need the latest technology on the slopes for 2 or 3 times the price. Anything in the past 3-4 years is going to be pretty awesome.

Head is a good ski but didn't ever seem to get the good ratings like Solomon, Rossignol, K2, or the Atomics. Ski Magazine comes out with a review based on the type of skiier. You can get it at Barnes and Noble on the magazine rack. This is great info because you find out how you ski, and then read the reviews they made for the equipment designed for your skiing.

Hope that helps. I spent a lot of time on that over the years out here in Utah. I loved my Atomics and love my Rossignols. My wife loves her Solomons (which I do too) and my neighbor - power skiier - loves K2's hands down. My other neigher - hung out with Steve Schmidt and Doug Coombs a lot - he's a K2 skiier as well. Very powerful, strong, black diamond skiing. Wifey and I are fast Blue Groomers with the occasional Black Diamond.

We have 3 or 4 ski swaps a year plus we have some really good ski warehouses here. But eBay is great if you know what you want.

I have to say - that my Atomics were probably my fav's overall. Good luck.

+1 on renting, if your traveling you don't have to carry them or worry that arrive or arrive in one piece. The resorts have rental shops on site or you can save a few $ and rent in town. But if you need an adjustment or different size boot/ski it makes things easier if you rented at the resort.
Also do a Google search for ski packages and you can get everything you need before you go and save some time and money.

Oh! and have fun.

I agree with everyone... Definitly rent a bunch of different types of ski before you purchase. It helps to know what type of skier you are...Carving, freeride, freestyle or just I want to go down the slope like a meat missile.
Good luck!

Ok,
In the ski industry you are either in or out of the game.
Tickets to the average joe are 50- 70 a day anywhere in New England.
Good Ski equipment retail :
Boots: 500
Skis 700
Bindings 350
Poles 60

Going new into a sport you haven't done in 10 years is a gamble.
Most every ski shop has a seasonal rental program for 200 bucks or so.
Find some good parabolic ( Shaped skis ) in a reasonably long length 190 cm or greater if you are 5' 10 or above.

The things I do reccomend spending $$$ on are your ski boots and outer clothing.
If your boots don't fit perfectly and hurt you will get very discouraged and quickly head to the lodge.
And if you aren't physically comfortable it will be the same story.
So find a good boot fitter and start there.
High quality breathable Gortex is the only way to go , it's wind-proof, water-proof, and let's the steam out too. ( Skiing is work ) burns like 700 calories an hour.
I have only purchased the "Patagonia brand" for the last 15 years or so.
But I am a guy whom knows what he likes and sticks to it.

I have some vouchers to both Stowe and Jay Peak if you make it North this winter and we can make some turns together.

P.S. It's starting to snow as I type this.
3-5 inches at 1500 feet or above tonight.

Back