Any Commercial Drywall People Here

SSGT_B

Registered
There is a texture on our walls that I cannot match nor find anything remotely close to. I was hoping someone might know what it is called and how to achieve it. To describe it, it looks like runny paint. Ill try to get some good pics up in a few minutes.

IMG_6938.JPG
IMG_6939.JPG
IMG_6940.JPG
IMG_6941.JPG

that looks like a hand-tooled plaster coating painted. That specific look I have seen created by dabbing a sponge in the wet plaster. Could be applied on drywall to get a retro-look or an actual wet wall (plaster on metal lath). If the house is 60+ years old could be a wet wall, also depends on the part of the country as construction worker skillsets vary.

I think you can simulate this look for a repair or addition with GWB and plaster coating with a hand trowel. Will take some practice to match the existing wall, but not too difficult. However, getting this done by a contractor might be expensive!

There is a texture on our walls that I cannot match nor find anything remotely close to. I was hoping someone might know what it is called and how to achieve it. To describe it, it looks like runny paint. Ill try to get some good pics up in a few minutes.

View attachment 1623023View attachment 1623024View attachment 1623025View attachment 1623026

Hard to tell for sure Sarge but if the house is way old,its a method used whats called "lath & plaster." There is no drywall in there."The coating" is actually plaster. If its a more modern home it's a technique used by drywall'ers to cut corners. Taping and mudding requires several steps to look smooth and hide the seams.
The final layers of mudding and sanding can be skipped by applying this coating via spray gun. Its fast cheap and easy but lost popularity in the 80's.Some "mudders" still use the technique today,but its rare. A similar tech can be used on ceilings referred to as a "popcorn" texture. Again to save time and money or as a desired look a customer might want.
Either way,a good finisher or mudder can duplicate either finish easily.
Any donkey-dik just about,can put up the drywall (hanging rock) as its referred to,you need a tape & mud guy. Not to insult bro,I know,different for me,but you will be hard pressed to achieve a perfect match yourself.
I may just be talkin' out my azz,sarge,but looks lathe & plaster to me.
Rubb.

Thanks for the responses. The house was built in the mid 70s, it is drywall as I have had to repair a few sections. Taping and floating or mudding is not an issue I just can’t for the life of me figure out how or with what they made this specific texture design. It’s throughout the house but I cannot recreate it short of drawing it on with a small hobby paintbrush and very runny mud.

Thanks for the responses. The house was built in the mid 70s, it is drywall as I have had to repair a few sections. Taping and floating or mudding is not an issue I just can’t for the life of me figure out how or with what they made this specific texture design. It’s throughout the house but I cannot recreate it short of drawing it on with a small hobby paintbrush and very runny mud.
Sounds very "labor intensive" Sarge. Rip down the whole wall.Re-do with a simpler technique. Tell the wife it's "Ultra Moe-dern."
She'll understand...it'll be very "Feng-Shway"
Rubb.

I just can’t for the life of me figure out how or with what they made this specific texture design.

To Rubb's point, and given the continuity of the pattern (not oval like a stomp or crow's foot brush) it may have been sprayed on with a hopper gun. Note the thick and thin lines coming out of the nozzle.

1594913259762.png

I recommend that you show that pattern to the people at a full service paint store. They likely have individuals who have asked about doing repairs to their house, one built by the same area builder. Perhaps someone created a modern cheat for this pattern, like a textured roller cover. Maybe not, but one can only ask.

Back