Any buddy know how to straiten a bent disc?

sailboatjoe

Registered
Arrrggggg! I change my own tires using a cycle hill tire changer and managed to bend one of my front brake discs. I discovered this because no mater how many times I bleed my front breaks after one full turn of the wheel the lever would go soft on the first pull then come back firm then soft after a second or too. I pulled the front finder of with the front tire off the ground gave the tire a spin and sure as is its bent. Not bad but bent. One of my buddys had this happen to him be for but it was because a big guy not paying attion and in a hurry was banging the wheel around. I though I was being careful but wasn't careful enough. Any buddy know how to straiten a bent disc?

122_0712_15_z+2007_2008_suzuki_hayabusa+front_skeleton_view.jpg

Not a recommended procedure, but I used a rubber mallet on mine and it will never be straight btw.

too much at stake with brakes so my 2 cents: toss the bent unit and you now have a good reason to upgrade :thumbsup:

Sorry bud, it's trash. No way you'll ever it get it perfect.

If you need to go on the cheap, than ask the members who's got one sitting on the shelf they can part with. Someone will have.

If you want to make it interesting, you have a great excuse to toss on some Galfer Wave Rotors on the front. Get the fronts, I'll throw in the matched rear for free, rear pads for free, 1/2 price on a set of front pads and I'll ship it to you for free (USA).

Sorry bud, it's trash. No way you'll ever it get it perfect.

If you need to go on the cheap, than ask the members who's got one sitting on the shelf they can part with. Someone will have.

If you want to make it interesting, you have a great excuse to toss on some Galfer Wave Rotors on the front. Get the fronts, I'll throw in the matched rear for free, rear pads for free, 1/2 price on a set of front pads and I'll ship it to you for free (USA).
No wonder your a good guy:thumbsup:

acehole and i used a micrometer, a block of wood, and a dead blow hammer to straighten one of his out...it took a little while but we had it spinning smoother than OEM

i think i would take pashnit up on his offer though, that's a great deal :beerchug:

A rotor actually can be straightened depending on the extent of the damage.

Barry Wressell at KFG Racing (kfgracing.com) does this all the time. I have no idea how he does it but it works fine in most cases. I've had Barry straigten a couple for me and they worked fine. As well, I have had him say, "Nope, this one's junk"!

I agree with everyone else here about replacing it, and for God's sake, put a shirt on your girl, this is a family site..

240436d1330068670-any-buddy-know-how-straiten-bent-disc-122_0712_15_z-2007_2008_suzuki_hayabusa-front_skeleton_view.jpg

you will never want to grab brakes at a high rate of speed again if you straighten it.. tank slapper here you come.. just saying

you will never want to grab brakes at a high rate of speed again if you straighten it.. tank slapper here you come.. just saying

Absolutely false! The bike has no way of knowing if the rotors have been mechanically straightened or factory straight. Grabbing the brake at any speed is apt to put you on your head. "Squeeze" is the proper application!

I've had a bent/warped disk on the front of the bike. It must have been subtle because I didn't realize it just tooling around, but at high speed when I pulled on those brakes hard to slow down fast I got the craziest pulsing. Scared the living crap out of me. I was coming up on a 90 degree bend on a road I drive almost every day, but the last thing I was expecting was sensation I got from a hard pull on the brakes.

Anyway, new rotors was the solution for me.

Like you, I think one of them got bent when I had the wheel off. So now I take the wheel off and remove the rotors before doing any sort of a tire change. It's a pain, but rotors are important and not cheap.

I think this is where my problem of needing new rotors came into play. I never noticed the rotors being warped until slow braking after the last tire change. I had forgotten to take the rotors off before leaving the wheels with the shop. Since then my warped/pulsing feeling in the handle has only gotten worse and I will be sure to take the rotors off from now on, once I decide on a set of Chalfers or OEM at a discounted rate.

Wish I could afford a set of Glafers or another high end rotor, but $700 for brakes is a very long shot.

Back