Any Auto Detailers / Leather Gurus On Here?

SSGT_B

Registered
So anyone that has ever had a King Ranch knows that the seats are a PITA to condition, and keep clean. Mine is no exception. The original owner NEVER cleaned or treated these seats. Ive played hell the last few years to get them "better". This last trip to Houston and the 2300 plus miles I rode in them has made me realize how HARD these things are. If you knock on the seats they sound like wood...LOL. Seriously, they are not soft or pliable at all. SO, Ive read about the "spa" treatment people use which is nothing more than really hot water with baby shampoo soaked into the seats then use conditioner afterwards to soften. Ive tried that, and Leather CPR, Lexol, Saddle soap. Has anyone had experience cleaning these and restoring their softness? I just can't eat a 700 plus dollar seat to get new parts.

IMG_2451.jpg

IMG_2452.jpg

IMG_2455.jpg

IMG_2459.jpg

Ford seats are crap buddy. Yours look better than most any I have seen. My brother's king ranch seats suck. I'll take my cloth seats over his for a trip

I agree completely. My F350 Lariat seats were comfortable. The king Ranch looked nice so I bought it. Last one I will ever own.

I replaced my skins with the company my local dealer uses. In fact, since they did it the covers were covered under my 3/36 Ford warranty. Cost me $1300 installed for all seats and center console. Turned out better than OEM and are very comfy and easy to keep clean. Even had them use blue stitching as a suble touch.
Good luck,
Troy

Never never water, Lexol cleaner as Blackout said then conditioner then Snow Proof. the Snow Proof will make them feel as soft as they can get but as also stated I can't believe how horrible the Ford Leather is on the King, doesn't hold up at all.

i dunno man... they look DONE but if i were u.... BEFORE I bought new ones... i might try something REAL aggressive... like AJAX and a scour pad.... maybe some hydrogen peroxide..... or even the poop they use to clean boat hulls...….. MIND YOU.... if u do end up loosening the dirt and grime... U MUST IMMEDIATELY condition the seats after... maybe work in some shoe polish..... I HAVE SEEN MIRACLES.....

So anyone that has ever had a King Ranch knows that the seats are a PITA to condition, and keep clean. Mine is no exception. The original owner NEVER cleaned or treated these seats. Ive played hell the last few years to get them "better". This last trip to Houston and the 2300 plus miles I rode in them has made me realize how HARD these things are. If you knock on the seats they sound like wood...LOL. Seriously, they are not soft or pliable at all. SO, Ive read about the "spa" treatment people use which is nothing more than really hot water with baby shampoo soaked into the seats then use conditioner afterwards to soften. Ive tried that, and Leather CPR, Lexol, Saddle soap. Has anyone had experience cleaning these and restoring their softness? I just can't eat a 700 plus dollar seat to get new parts.

View attachment 1584447

View attachment 1584448

View attachment 1584449

View attachment 1584450
man... ure gonna be a happy guy .... look... RECOLOR the seats http://www.leatherworldtech.com/For...MIp_CT8Zj-3AIVVgOGCh3oEgpLEAYYASABEgIz8vD_BwE

King Ranch leather is not like the leather Ford uses on it's other leather seats.
It is purposely meant to be tough like a cowboy boot or sadle.
It is alot thicker.

Never never water, Lexol cleaner as Blackout said then conditioner then Snow Proof. the Snow Proof will make them feel as soft as they can get but as also stated I can't believe how horrible the Ford Leather is on the King, doesn't hold up at all.

Water is great for shaping leather.
Get it wet, and it will retain whatever shape you put in it as it dries(condition it after).
Same reason when you buy a new leather suit or jacket and pants, get them soaking wet and go riding until they dry.
Now they fit your unique shape, and flex better in the riding position.

Last edited:
I'de make a Craigslist post.
Trade your seats for regular leather or cloth seats.
Alot of people actually like those hard King Ranch seats.

Water is great for shaping leather.
Get it wet, and it will retain whatever shape you put in it as it dries(condition it after).
Same reason when you buy a new leather suit or jacket and pants, get them soaking wet and go riding until they dry.
Now they fit your unique shape, and flex better in the riding position.
True but you use water on the king seats and they will look like a old metal style john deere tractor seat. ;<)

I replaced my skins with the company my local dealer uses. In fact, since they did it the covers were covered under my 3/36 Ford warranty. Cost me $1300 installed for all seats and center console. Turned out better than OEM and are very comfy and easy to keep clean. Even had them use blue stitching as a suble touch.
Good luck,
Troy
^^^ what he said. Find a KATZKIN retailer/installer and you can get a full interior redone for $900 and up, depending on if you want custom colors and stitching or 100% leather, instead of just the part your body touches like on a lot of OEM seats. My local shop makes some serious money upgrading interior on new dealer vehicles. The dealer charges the customer $1300-$1800 for the upgrade and turns around and drops the vehicle off at the installers shop and pay them $700-1000 and get it done in half a day. I think Ford interiors are crap anyways. My 2013 explorer had fake stitching on the door panels. Lol! I’m sure other car manufactures do it too.

Thanks for all the responses. Going to try another cleaning today. Might take the bottom cover off and check the condition of the seat padding as well Might be time to replace or repair it. Will post pics of rhe progress, or destruction..... :/

Back