Another Track Day /Crash...PICS

stkr00

Slower Traffic Keep Right ! ! &#
Donating Member
Registered
Well, I went to do another track day today, although it wasn't really a "track day", but was the Learning Curves Racing, CCS Race License school. The teach you about racing rules, procedures, and some riding instruction. Actually a good class if you're getting into racing, but not geared towards teaching you how to ride like some of the other schools. This school is a mandatory prerequisite for purchasing your race license in our area.

The day started out pretty good. A little chilly but nice once you were on the track. Our first practice session after the classroom was on a dry track, and there were about 5 of us terrorizing the rest of the field. Dam...was that fun
cool.gif

Then as we were in class again, it started to friggin rain...hard.
mad.gif

This is where I got some more practice at changing the rims/tires over to the rain set. Supposedly, these are supposed to "help" you on the track, but mine just didn't want to play along. I should have just stayed with the regular Dunlop-208 GPA/JLB combo instead of the Pirelli Dragon Rains.

I did complete one practice session in the pouring rain without any problems which was about 10 laps. During the break I talked to the Pirelli vendor about proper pressure in the rains and he said 35 psi. I was running 38 psi during the last session. I lowered the pressure and went out for my last practice session before our exhibition race. I made it through the warmup lap, and then lost the front end on turn 3. The worst part was that at the time I had no idea what caused the front to let go. After getting the bike home, I discovered that the front brakes were dragging which could have acted like "I" was braking while trying to turn on a wet track...NOT a good combo. Calipers will be rebuilt before I do another track day.

Frame Sliders RULE
beerchug.gif
The only damage to the bike is a broken front brake lever, rear brake lever, a tweaked right side rear set, and some scratches on the exhaust can.

Right now I'm sore in the following areas but otherwise I'm okay...Right ankle, left hip, right shoulder blade area, and my right lower rib cage. I was still dam near vertical when the front end went out. That's what is so strange about it. Even the corner workers didn't think I was going that fast, and I sure as hell wasn't leaned over too far.

On with the pics...Sorry to be long winded
wink.gif

The current version of the "COW BIKE"...sanding still in progress
laugh.gif

BHF_092405_001_copy.jpg

The other side. Why paint it...I'll just crash again
laugh.gif

BHF_092405_005_copy.jpg

Here's some action shots I took after my crash. Not sure what race group these are
rock.gif

Turn-4 @ Blackhawk Farms

<!--EDIT|stkr00
Reason for Edit: None given...|1127613942 -->

BHF_092405_006_copy.jpg

This was the start of our exhibition race...I was "supposed" to be gridded in the second row closest to the pit wall. Notice there are only two bikes in that row.
sad.gif

BHF_092405_008_copy.jpg

The start. The way these guys took off, it seemed like they were on a dry track. All of them barreling down the straight for Turn-1.

The next pic will show what happens when you don't show a wet track some respect
wow.gif

BHF_092405_009_copy.jpg

Someone rear ended another bike going into the turn, and caused a total of 3 bikes to get knocked out of the race.

HELLO!!!.......This is an exhibition race...no trophies, and all you have to do to pass the class is FINISH the race. It doesn't even matter how slow you go. Why in the hell would you risk it all for Turn-1?

BHF_092405_010_copy.jpg

And one last one...look at the corner station. This was just a flag drill for the class I think.

BHF_092405_013_copy.jpg

That's it...I'm done posting pics
cool.gif

I'm going to go take some motrin and take a long hot shower.
beerchug.gif

One last shot of the COW BIKE...kinda like an upskirt shot
laugh.gif

BHF_092405_004_copy.jpg

Sucks about the crash.  But you'll be back into it soon enough.

Cool in the wet pics!!

You can't get me to ride in the wet on purpose  
tounge.gif

<!--EDIT|Charlesbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1127615309 -->

Sweeeeet, Jim.
smile.gif
Practice at crashing.
smile.gif

I hadn't seen other pics of your bike since your power wash incident. It actually doesn't look half bad, I don't think. I like the overall lines of the Gixxer better than the F4.

Did you still get your certificate to get licensed, or did the crash result in having to take the class again?
sad.gif
Hope you got your certificate bro. Good thing you didn't break anything. I'm a little anxious about my "first crash..." Hope I'm as sturdy as you.
blush.gif

Talk to you later, bro.
cool.gif

J

smile.gif

Sweeeeet, Jim.
smile.gif
Practice at crashing.
smile.gif

I hadn't seen other pics of your bike since your power wash incident. It actually doesn't look half bad, I don't think. I like the overall lines of the Gixxer better than the F4.

Did you still get your certificate to get licensed, or did the crash result in having to take the class again?
sad.gif
Hope you got your certificate bro. Good thing you didn't break anything. I'm a little anxious about my "first crash..." Hope I'm as sturdy as you.
blush.gif

Talk to you later, bro.
cool.gif

J
Couldn't get the certificate since I didn't make the exhibition race.

Rick told me if I could get the brake levers fixed and come to him for tech inspection of the bike and my helmet, then he would let me run the race.

Irony of all this: Out of all the crap I got with the bike, I've got 5 clutch levers, two foot brake levers, rear/front master cylinders, 7 clip-ons, 2 chains, 5 sets of sprockets, and engine case covers, BUT...

Not one friggin front brake lever
wow.gif
laugh.gif

Rick told me that if I wanted to just call it a day, then he would let me come back to any of his classes for free to finish the class as long as it was completed prior to 9-24-06. Helluva guy
cool.gif

So, today wasn't a complete loss. I learned a lot, and saw how the CCS races are conducted, so I'll be even better prepared next time.

FWIW: If you're going to crash...try to be leaned over BEFORE your bike goes down. It's a hard fall otherwise.
wink.gif
laugh.gif

smile.gif

cool.gif

laugh.gif

Stkr-
Dooood,
You are giving me the bug. Seriously. Between your pics and Justin's video....I need a track day. Thanks for sharing bro!
thumbs-up.gif

OK Jim, you're having way too much fun, man. And stop jumping off the thing while it's moving!
biggrin.gif
Glad you're ok, even if you are a bit sore. Could be a lot worse. One of my riding friends highsided at Barber Motorsport Park this past weekend and ended up with a broken collar bone and possible fractured ankle. He's definitely lucky to come out that light from the sound of things, but man that's gotta hurt.

Anyway, keep having fun, and keep the pics coming, but it's ok if you want to back off on the get-off's.
wink.gif

Unlucky, but I suppose it has to happen on a wet track. That track looks really narrow too !? The post fall paintwork looks kind of menacing, as does that rear tyre to shift that water out of the way.

damn dood , you got bawls! ...I am scared just looking at those wet track pics.

Unlucky, but I suppose it has to happen on a wet track. That track looks really narrow too !? The post fall paintwork looks kind of menacing, as does that rear tyre to shift that water out of the way.
laugh.gif

That paintwork is PRE-fall.
wink.gif
I've been sanding on it to get it ready to paint this winter. Hopefully it will at least be one color next year.

Back