Another tire question...

Ronjon

Registered
Yeah, I know, the search feature works, but I currently have other priorities so I am seeking some quick advice from fellow owners. I'm recently been layed off from work b/c my role was outsourced to two India based workers. My last paycheck is coming and I wish to purchase new skins for the Busa, if for nothing else, to be able to clean it up and sell it in the spring if my unemployment duration is extended. I just got this bike in the summer with new Michelins on it which I am proudly wearing out. I know there might be another lower cost option that still maintains quality cornering in a tire. What brand is that? The Bridgestone Battle Axes? I'm not seeking a cheap tire, and not needing the best, just a good mix of value for the price... I know finding these are sometimes determined best by experience so why I need to ask. Most of the time forum tire discussions center around performance minded folks and that's only part of the discussion.

Help me out please, don't flame me for not putting the time in to research. I hope you can understand.

Much appreciated,
Ron

If you want a tire you can corner well with and get some mileage, get the Dunlop Q2, I have had good luck with Avon Storms, my next set will be a Pilot Road 3 because I need a tire that can do 5 to 6k miles and I have slowed down considerably and do not need a tire I can scrape a knee with. Expect to get around 3 to 5 on the Dunlop.

If money is the issue, probably the best bang for the buck is Bridgestone. I'd suggest going with the S20 front and BT023 rear. This combination works quite well for the weekend warrior who likes to have a little fun on the twisties yet get better than average mileage as well. In proper hands this combination will wear your knee pucs out at about the same time as you'll wear the tires out.

The S20 is a nice sticky performance front street tire along with the 23 rear, a dual compound touring tire which gives longer life with sticky shoulders. I'd prefer the Dunlop Q2 front/Roadsmart rear but the Bridgestone setup is usually less expensive.

If I were you, I'd do some online shopping and see what who had in the sport touring tire market for how much $$$ and narrow my decision in relation to cost.

However, if you are a regular puc grinder, I'd forget about mileage and go with a performance tire such as the Q2. Tires are much cheaper than plastics!

I like the Bridgestone S20's myself. I ended up with right under 4500 miles out of my rear.

Ive ridden over 4k on a set of Metzler Sportechs. I ride mostly with smaller bikes 750's and liter bikes and hang with them in every turn no problem. I want to try the Q2's next and compare them but bang for the buck I've gotten my moneys worth

I'll throw in another recomendation for the Bridgestones...I had a set of BT020's on my 900RR, and they had more than enough grip to throw it into the corners but still got reasonable wear...the S20's are the tires I'm planning on putting on my Busa :)

just a good mix of value for the price

since money MIGHT (will) be tight, hard to beat this deal: $183 SHIPPED FOR BOTH FRONT AND REAR TIRES

LINKY>>> Continental Conti Motion Sport Touring Radial - Z-Rated - Package Specials Competition Accessories

26164_1.jpg

Back