another pc3 question

flyby

Registered
newbi, sortof.

i've got a naked 01 busa with rotor and ecu upgrade.
this is a turbo bike also. Ratboosta.
40lb injectors.

been running fine with EE (for ignition retard) and pc3usb (320-410 which is correct for the 01 year per PC phone call today), which was made for the 16 bit ecu that year.

is suspect my pc3 is vaulty as occassionally it will run like crap, and then run fine;inconsistant.. hard starting and won't idle smooth sometimes. at the dyno last year the dyno man said it was dropping the tps read and he couldn't tune it and said it was common for the pc3's.

well after chasing the wiring for a full day the bike wouldn't start at all. finally checked the voltage at the injectors and it was 1.2 volts. so i unplugged the pc3 and the bike started right up and ran fine, although the map was way off. without the pc3 the injector voltage reads 9.5 volts (before engine start), which seems low, but the bike starts right up and idles much lower than the pc3 would ever let it.

so my question is this:
i'm not sure which power commander to get. since it has been repinned at the ecu plugin for the 32 bit upgrade, will the 02-07 commander work correctly? I called PC today and they told me to go with the 02-07 version of the commander, but they weren't sure if doing the repinning will affect anything. He said the commander resolutions might not be the same between the 01 and 02 commanders and might not tune as well with the 01 pc3. Not much help there.
The bike seemed to run and tune fine with the 01 commander, and i see others who run the 01 commander with the upgraded rotor and ecu and report good compatability.

if i get another 01 commander, i know it will work, but is older technology than the pc5.
if i get the 02 commander i don't know if it will work, or if it will give me any better tuning being that is made for the 32 bit ecu.
if i get the pc5 i have the same concerns as the 02 commander, but i would prefer to buy the pc5 because they seem to be more durable than the pc3's.
tuning with EE is much more expensive, so i would rather fuel tune with a commander.
I looked at bazazz, but it is more difficult and i don't want another learning curve, and I don't have 8 injectors.
any help here would be greatly appreciated. thanx

You should swap out wire harnesses to the later gen1 harness. This would allow for much easier use of the new gen1 PCV or PC3. The connectors where the PC picks up the signal are different but essentially do the exact same thing.

i already have the large round connectors. it think it was 99-00 with the square connectors

If it's an 01 why did it need repinned? I have swapped many 01 to the 32bit without repinning .
Heck I've even put the 01 ecu and crank rotor on 02 up bikes! Lol!
No repinning necessary.

your right!
i got confused, as i also installed EE when i did it. the pinning was for the EE
ignore this post. must be getting too old.

Back