Another newbie question

arm1151

Registered
I had posted earlier in the week, in the mod section, about Yoshi R3 bolt-ons. Didn't get a response so I'll try here.
I have installed a pair of Yoshi R3 bolt-ons. I have noticed that the tail pipes are bolted onto the cans with two small allen head bolts and then tack welded in place. Simalar to the stock mufflers.
My question: If I remove these bolts can the tail pipe/ baffle be removed? If so what would the purpose be? Race application? More decibles? Repack the exhaust?
Just a wonderin'.
all_coholic.gif

Use the search engine, there's been several threads on modifying the stock exhaust cans for sound. Very little if any gain in HP, because the restriction in the exhaust is in the header tubes. I would say the purpose of the bolts is manufacturing. Why would anyone buy aftermarket cans and then modify them
rock.gif

my opinon would be........by removing the packing and leaving it out you would be very loud. but in doing so i would think you are losing a lot of back pressure. now i am thinking from a harley davidson point of view, in this you need back pressure on one of there motors. i can not see you gaining no added horsepower by modding the cans.
more than likely i would say you could take the bolts outs and grind the welds , then the packing should come on out. its possible to take some of the wrapping off and repack for a louder sound then you would still have backpressure.
just my very very limited opinion.
beerchug.gif

If you take the packing and baffling out your probably going to go REAL LEAN (NOT GOOD) . Unless you can remap and dyno at the same time, you best leave it alone  
beerchug.gif
 What do you want to do this for anyway on a street bike
rock.gif
? You'll also more than likely loose HP and Torque
wink.gif

I have checked the search to no avail, could be I'm doin' it wrong.
I don't intend on removing the bolts or packing or modifyiing my new cans. As I stated I was just wondering, being the curious sort that I am.
Yoshi R3 are suppose to be race bolt-ons. Just being curious if by removing any of the before mentioed stuff. With the proper equipment and dyno tested if these pipes are race quality or not.
I do not race per say. I guess my question would be more towards one who has the same system and does any racing.
smile.gif

You can post your question on the Yosh website, and usually get a timely answer/response. There is also a Q&A section to peruse through for commonly asked questions.

(SLA1500 @ Feb. 15 2007,18:59) You can post your question on the Yosh website, and usually get a timely answer/response.  There is also a Q&A section to peruse through for commonly asked questions.
Thanks.. I've been to web site and am sure I will find the answer to my question. You all have been great.
smile.gif

Back