Another new guy online....

rustman

Registered
Hey folks,
I've had my 'Busa for 5 months now, and I know I made the right decision. I'm in the middle of the 'rampant mods' phase, and I appreciate all the good info that everyone has posted. Due to an unfortunate fender bender (or fortunate?), I made enough extra change from the insurance settlement to fix the bike, and to get almost every aftermarket thing that I had only dreamed about. It's all ordered, and I guess I'll be changing the list at the bottom of my byline pretty soon. I've only hit 160mph (indicated) so far, and it's good to know there's alot more there when I'm in the mood for it. Mine may not be the fastest, but it's fast enough! I'll definately be checking this board out regularly. Good to see the healthy dialog here. I've found most every answer I could think of here, except I don't know if anyones has "actually" swapped the '03 guages for the 220 glow guages. I've got the guages and a yellowbox on the way, so I'll post my results when I get through tweeking. There may be a problem with the stop pin on the high side of the speedo. I took and $80 chance to see if I could make it work. We'll see this weekend...

Cool sounds like your going to get her set up sweet.  We LOVE pics!  I'd like to have those gauges too, eventually, be sure to post how that goes.  
drink.gif

Welcome to the board...glad you're finding what you need in the way of help here...

Post pics!!
biggrin.gif

Welcome to the board. Sorry to hear about your accident but it sounds like it is all working out for you.

Alright folks,
First off, thanks for the warm welcome. I'll be sure so get some pics up once I get a few things done. I'm going to start the speedo mod tomorrow, so I'll definately post the results.
Wanna hear the stupidest thing that anyone (me) has ever done? I got some ramair scoops in from Schnitz (great service), and I stuck them on place just to see what they looked like. Yep, I rode off to work the next day and forgot to take 'em out. I'll be ordering some more tomorrow. I was able to conjugate long strings of obscenities that have never been spoken together before, and I just wasn't satisfied. I'm heading for the beer stash right after this post...

Well, I remove the Pair valve, put the 220 guages on, and installed the yellow box. I set the box to hopefully replicate the original speedo (including error), and took a test ride at night. The glow job looks great. I didn't have a reference for the speedo, but I rode in traffic for a while, and the speedo looked dead on, assuming the traffic flow was near the speed limit. I'll be using a GPS tomorrow to dial it in. I'm still not sure if it's going to be off exponentially on each side of the dialed in speed. The markings on the dial are closer together than the 185 dials, so we'll just have to see. Worst case, I'll just have to learn where the real speeds are on the new guages.
I ordered new scoops to replace the unfortunate loss of the last pair. Schnitz gave me a mercy deal on the second pair, based on the stupidity of the incident(see prior post above). I'm still waiting on the double bubble, the topgun, The Roca C/F hugger, and the clear front turn signals. I'll be watching for the UPS man this week. Now I'm off to search for info on stumbling below 3K on the tach...

One more thing...the stop pin on the original guages is just a pressure fit, and you can gently pull it out with a pair of needle nosed pliers. You'll have to to get the 220's on.

The results on the 220 guage mod are still inconclusive right now. I checked it with a GPS, and it looked to be dead on at 60, and pretty much right at 70 and 50. At 30, the GPS read about 31.5 mph. I can't say this information is all that accurate, as I didn't spend much time on it, nor did I find a suitable road for testing. I plan to test it more thoroughly soon, and I'll bet that I still don't have the yellow box dialed in perfectly yet. For now, the most common traffic speeds seem to be pretty accurate, i.e. 30, 60, 70 mph. Now if the UPS man would hurry up with my undertail and hugger...More to come on the speedo mod.

Back