Another Lust object for me.

bigoltool

Registered
I waited anxiously for years for Norton to get their act together and build the new 961 Commandos they showed for the longest time and made the rounds at the shows. Alas the Kenny Dreer Norton dream died and is now back in England. I loved the looks of that bike! Well I found this today and I am in love! These guys are building these bad boys in Australia with either a 1300 or 1600cc Vincent motor. Now to go win the lottery!

Enjoy! :thumbsup:

Link

DSC_0118.jpg

Vincent's are the stuff of legend :thumbsup:
Oh, yes, indeed. And that engine should be in one. But it's a crying shame to try to stuff it into a modern sportbike.

:corner: Now, aside from the fact that I'm being a total spoil sport about this, I must admit it's rather beautiful. ;)

Last edited:
Some interesting reading:
Me and My (Vincent Black) Shadow
The Vincent story started 70 years ago in Britain. Designer Phil Irving was manipulating an outline of a cylinder head on tracing paper when he realized that two of the company's lusty 500cc singles could be arranged to form a powerful 1,000cc, 50-degree V-twin. Owner Phillip Vincent loved the idea. The result was the prewar Series A Rapide. Assembled on a common crankcase with external oil galleries running every which way, the engine became known as "the plumber's nightmare."

and

Series C Vincent V-twin models included the 45-horsepower Rapide, the 55-hp Black Shadow and the special-order 70-plus-hp, made-for-racing Black Lightning. Those outputs might not sound impressive today, but frameless Vincents weighed just 450 pounds. Besides bigger Amal carbs, higher compression and high-lift cams, the sporty Shadow had a lower 1st gear for even quicker acceleration. Its glossy black, stove-enameled engine and minimalist trim anticipated modern trends by decades. For curb appeal, the Vincent's crowning touch was a unique 5-inch-diameter Smiths speedometer that read to a heady 150 mph.

I imagine that you could probably squeeze a few more ponies out of it (bump compression, flow the heads, stronger rods, increase compression, cam timing, valve sizes, more), but you put a very rare engine at risk. Whereas even a Harley-derived Buell engine is nearly 100HP and will do it all day.

Okay, off my soap box. Those aussies did a beautiful job with it. - Cheers

Back