Another Lowering Question

Iowadiver

Registered
Beyond getting a new triple tree and lowering links (providing you want to do the front and rear) should you be doing anything else? I have done a bit of reading and they are suggesting to have your shocks shortened or something to that effect because you may end up having the front fender bumping into the bike if you hit bumps or whatnot. I have an 08' and just got the new triple tree for it as well as some adjustable lowering links... am I ready to go or do I need to do more shopping?

-Matt

I dont have an 08, but how low are you going? Unless you get drastic, you should be fine with what you have.

thats all,
beerchug.gif

Okay .. some adjustable stands have different lean angles so the length will vary. This is the one I have:
101_2473.jpg

101_2474.jpg

There are some which have a screw as the pin which is the type I originally had. The screw fell out and the bottom half followed. I was told to locktite the screw but I change my ride height all the time between street and track.

I then found this one. It has a ""keychain type" loop holding the pin in place so it isn't going anywhere. Plus I don't need a screwdriver to change the height. I have since replaced the loop with a paperclip and made it even easier to adjust.

With this stand I can go from stock to a 3" drop with no problem. As long as the bike has the proper lean angle, you'll be fine. When/if you get an adjustable stand, if you lower the bike and the bike sits too upright, just shorten the stand a bit more.

BTW ... I found both stands I mentioned on EBay. You might wanna holla at a board sponsor and see what they can do for you.

I went 2" in the back and 1 1/2" up front. I cut 3/4" out of my kickstand and welded the bottom back on works find. Alot cheaper than the adjustable. Just my .2

Went 1 1/4 down in front and 1 1/2 down in rear. Haven't messed with kickstand, but it's close.

Adjust rear shock if you ride two up.

I'm thinking of going 2" in the front and rear... but I'm sure i'll have to tweak it a bit once I get to ride it a little. Second question... the lowering links seem pretty straight forward as far as guaging the amount of drop... but how are you guys measuring the front forks? Just measuring how much the protrude upwards out fo the tree?

-Matt

If you want to be accurate and do it properly, measure you bike's ride height before to start. If you have fixed lowering links, lower the rear first and measure exactly how much it's lowered. Then lower the front the exact same amount. Measuring the forks doesn't give you an accurate distance since the forks are on an angle. Measure the distance you have lowered teh frame.

The question is, what will you gain by lowering your bike? And,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, what will you loose? Remember, there are no free rides. Every time you gain something in one area, you loose something in another area!

Back