Another: Help me find this vibration thread

MeltDownZ

Registered
Ok, I've started getting another elusive, and annoying, vibration/rattle.  Best I can tell, it sounds like the thin fins on the radiator are vibrating like a reed.  Trouble is I can only reproduce it with the bike under load at about 2,500 rpm.  So, no amount of tapping with a rubber mallot or reving on the rear stand is reproducing it.  My only thoughts are to pay someone with a dynometer to allow me to run the bike under load while we use a mechanics stethescope to locate the vibration.  Any other thoughts on how to go about solving this one?

BTW... my wonderful local dealer is too busy to be bothered with this.  He says it sounds normal to him... low service biotch.

<!--EDIT|MeltDownZ
Reason for Edit: None given...|1104174316 -->

You are sure that it is coming from the front of the bike? Have you tried to put it on a stand and rev it to 2500? That is pretty low...does it do it in all gears around that RPM?

check the under fairing(under the cowl) and the oil cooler brace/bracket. seems like those could be a potential problem.

I have the same problem on my '03. Whenever I'm coming to a stop and downshifting, whenever the tach passes through about 2,500 ot 2,200 rpm, it vibrates for just a moment.

I'm just about to tear EVERYTHING off the bike and ride it around with one less part until I find the damn problem.

--Wag--

I thought I had a problem like this on my TL1000S,drove
me insane for 2 days,numerous stops and looks...
It turned out to be a broken vent on my helmet.

Graham

You are sure that it is coming from the front of the bike?  Have you tried to put it on a stand and rev it to 2500?  That is pretty low...does it do it in all gears around that RPM?
I've put it on a stand and rev'd it through the gears. I can't reproduce it unless the bike has got a load. And, it does happen in all gears. It seems to be related to some natural harmonic in the 2,500rpm range.

I thought I had a problem like this on my TL1000S,drove
me insane for 2 days,numerous stops and looks...
It turned out to be a broken vent on my helmet.

Graham
I thought about this. I've tried it with my half-helmet just to verify. Unfortunately, the I could hear the buzz even more
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

mad.gif

mad.gif

Don't know if I have the same problem or not. I've been using my Sony MD player 95% of my rides. Now my GF just got me a iPod for Xmas, so I can't hear it even if my 03' is doing that. I knew my family loves my GF for a reason.

If you have an aftermarket windscreen installed, they vibrate some. Especially the Zero Gravity windscreens, they are a tad narrower than the stock screen.

Drive down the road and hold onto your windscreen to find out. Mine vibrates about the same way you describe.

Take some electricians tape and place it at the leading edge of the screen before you install it, and it will go away.

I hope your problem is this simple.

-Bill

If you have an aftermarket windscreen installed, they vibrate some.  Especially the Zero Gravity windscreens, they are a tad narrower than the stock screen.

Drive down the road and hold onto your windscreen to find out.  Mine vibrates about the same way you describe.

Take some electricians tape and place it at the leading edge of the screen before you install it, and it will go away.  

I hope your problem is this simple.

-Bill
I've long since taped up the windscreen and it is very quiet. I just need to figure out a creative way to put the bike under a load and rev on a stand or something so I can reproduce the sound. I'm sure it's coming from down low in the front. Sounds like the radiator fins.

FOUND IT!

On mine, at least. Went to do a spark plug change and the front bolt on the air filter box was loose.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

Post oil change, no vibration any more!

--Wag--

I had the same problem and it drove me crazy. It sounded as though it was coming from the front cowling some place. I took my glove off one day and as I drove done the road at the vibrating point and started feeling all over to see if I could find it? I reached over the front and touched the headlight and bingo, it stopped. It was the headlight doing the vibrating!

I suppose you could try earplugs!

biggrin.gif

--Wag--

This may sound too simple but look at your horn.. My friends horn bracket was bent back and actually was vibrating against the radiator when he got up to speed. Bent it back forward and wallah!
Don't know how it got so far back but that was it.

This may sound too simple but look at your horn.. My friends horn bracket was bent back and actually was vibrating against the radiator when he got up to speed. Bent it back forward and wallah!
This could be it because my radiator was re-mounted at some point.

I'm so excited to try this when I get home!!!

This could be it because my radiator was re-mounted at some point.  

I'm so excited to try this when I get home!!!
Just a thought; If your radiator was remounted pull the fairings off and double check the radiator, maybe it is missing a rubber bushing at the mounting points, or some of the fins got damaged, if any fins are bent you can geet a fin comb and straighten them out, drive it with the fairings off and see if you can reproduce the problem.

Back