Another Dog Thread of some sort

Silent Shogun

Registered
So we had our daughters Birthday Party today at the park. Went pretty well. While there we seen a guy with a dog doing tricks. Pretty impressive actually what he had him doing. The issue was when he took his dog to the water fountain and had the dog drink from it. The same one all the kids use. The dog was licking all over the spicket. I was disgusted and POed along with some others. A few who owned dogs didn't really see a problem. I thought it was extremely inconsiderate. Any thoughts?

That's probably not the worst thing that has been on that fountain, unless he licked his butt first. :laugh: The other kids using it are probably more of a health threat to each other than from the dog and more from the handle than the head. Hopefully they know not to touch their mouth to it.

If I use a public fountain type, I always give it a good quick rubdown before drinking and I never touch the spigot with my lips/mouth....but really the dog probably has less germs than the kids.

If I use a public fountain type, I always give it a good quick rubdown before drinking and I never touch the spigot with my lips/mouth....but really the dog probably has less germs than the kids.

Maybe I should have put this :laugh: or this :lol: at the end in order to make my point? Most people realize a dog uses his tongue as a washcloth and toilet paper......

it's ok if the dog rolls up and licks some happy lil kid on the face, but not ok to drink from a spigot? meh, all the parks i take my dogs to have dog fountains anyway. a little spigot down low that discharges into a permanent bowl. much better suited for K9 rehydration imo.

it's ok if the dog rolls up and licks some happy lil kid on the face, but not ok to drink from a spigot? meh, all the parks i take my dogs to have dog fountains anyway. a little spigot down low that discharges into a permanent bowl. much better suited for K9 rehydration imo.

I don't really like it when a dog starts licking on my kids face. Especially some strangers dog. I'm not really sure why people believe Dogs have cleaner mouths than humans...

Taken from Petplace . com Myth/Superstition article

•Dog saliva is antiseptic. Dog saliva was once believed to be antiseptic, and some people still believe it has healing properties. Though it can kill some bacteria, dog saliva contains its own exotic bacteria that can cause serious infections, especially in people whose immune systems are weak.

Hmmm....I would say a kids immune system is pretty weak.

I KNOW everyone loves their pets like part of their family....i get that....but an animal that is known to eat its own crap and chew on other things it finds is not going to have a very hygenic mouth. :laugh:

I don't really like it when a dog starts licking on my kids face. Especially some strangers dog. I'm not really sure why people believe Dogs have cleaner mouths than humans...

Taken from Petplace . com Myth/Superstition article

•Dog saliva is antiseptic. Dog saliva was once believed to be antiseptic, and some people still believe it has healing properties. Though it can kill some bacteria, dog saliva contains its own exotic bacteria that can cause serious infections, especially in people whose immune systems are weak.

Hmmm....I would say a kids immune system is pretty weak.

I KNOW everyone loves their pets like part of their family....i get that....but an animal that is known to eat its own crap and chew on other things it finds is not going to have a very hygenic mouth. :laugh:

Dog saliva contains Lysozyme, an enzyme that kills bacteria. It is especially effective on gram positive bacteria. The enzyme attaches itself to the cell wall and then ruptures the cell.
Posted via Mobile Device

I would not let my dogs drink from a public water fountain, but I would put it in a bowl or my hands to let them drink that way.

sure the owner has pays top dollar for the dog to do tricks. i'd think the dog is up to date with its shots.

sure the owner has pays top dollar for the dog to do tricks. i'd think the dog is up to date with its shots.

I'm sure it is too....but the natural bacteria that is harmless to the dog can be harmful to humans.... I'm sure the chances are slim....but i don't know anyone who would drink from a dogs bowl so why would you let your dog lick on a spout? You wouldn't take your dog into a MCD's and let it drink all over the coke fountain....in fact you would probably be arrested.

Back