Another darn battery

Justyntym

The Pessimistic Optimist
Donating Member
Registered
Darn it man...

My '06 went thru a battery about a year ago, bought an Odyssey.

Darn thing is gone already...wtf. I ride daily so it shouldn't be a charging issue. That was supposed to be a dry cell super battery...:banghead:
That 'fn battery was $151 and it didn't last any longer than the stock one.

I know I'm running a HID (which I thought used less power) and a couple running lights and a gps but come on...if that's overloading the electrical system...???

3 batteries in as many years is too....many.

Something is wrong with your charging system or you have a short that is draining your battery...I have a '03 with the original stock battery and that bike sits most of the time ???

how do you determine the battery is bad? (load test?) or are you just replacing because they do not appear to be holding a charge?

06 with 50K

Original battery still

3 years and still turning it over in the frosty mountains.

Guess I got lucky.:thumbsup:

If you have a multimeter you can do a charge test. Measure the voltage across the battery terminals when the bike is at 5000 revs. It should be between 13.5 and 15Volts if it's ok.
Then do a current leakage test. Remove the positive terminal of the battery and put the multimeter on Current setting. Connect the multimeter between the battery and red wire. Manual says 3mA max.

My battery went yesterday after 1.5 years but I don't ride all of the time and sometimes it isn't used for weeks at a time.

yea.. You must have an issue somewhere in your electrical system. My '02 still is running on the OEM battery as well.

Don't have any meters etc. to check voltage.

Wouldn't crank this morning, but I got going...let it run about 15 min.,
shut er off...no crank again. It turns over once and then dies...

Don't have any meters etc. to check voltage.

Wouldn't crank this morning, but I got going...let it run about 15 min.,
shut er off...no crank again. It turns over once and then dies...

Charging system probably won't charge a dead battery enough in 15 minutes to start the bike. Put it on a Battery Tender for 24 hours, then see how it goes. Bet you have something draining it somewhere.

Charging system probably won't charge a dead battery enough in 15 minutes to start the bike. Put it on a Battery Tender for 24 hours, then see how it goes. Bet you have something draining it somewhere.

So your thinking super battery may yet live...

Heat affects the life of a battery too, but you have other issues. You have been well advised on testing the charging circuit. Get a buddy to help out.

i think you'll find the battery electrolyte is a bit lacking. they should really put the electrolyte in, wait an hour or 2 and then top it of with distilled whisky. to save time they just put a manageable ammount of electrolyte in. so the tops of the plates are exposed and prolly corrode. i should know. :beerchug:

So your thinking super battery may yet live...
Since it's a dry cell, electrolyte level isn't the problem. Unhook the battery, charge it up, check it's voltage, check your charging system output, and check for an unusual amount of current drain with a multi-meter (pretty cheap at Radio Shack) like Celtic Bandit said. If you can bump start it and have it run with a pretty much dead battery, the charging system is probably working well. Sounds like something is draining it more while it's off than the charging system can replace during ride time.

And an FYI. A fully charged battery should read 12.45 volts minimum. Not 12.0 like most think.And your charging system should be reading up around 13.2 to 14.3 volts.

Couple things:
Gel cell batteries do not charge the same as a lead acid battery, (much slower charge rate from dead)

Because a battery wont let the bike crank over does not mean the battery is no good..

However if you have a small draw or the charging system is having problems, it will maintain the battery at too low a level and that will hurt a batteries life.. Is also hard on the charging system if every time the bike starts it has to revive a drained battery

You need the charging system checked..
You could also have a rectifier bridge problem (they can have intermittent draws on the system)
Get a battery tender and plug the thing in

A battery should take enough juice in 15 minutes of running (at least 3000 RPM) to put a surface charge on the battery and have enough kick to start the bike. (we are looking for a voltage about 13.5 and certainly no higher than 14.5, if it is in the 14 volt range, the battery may be sulfated)

I would suggest you have a shop look at the charging system and check for a draw.. (you have put 3 batteries in and it is not fixed)

am guessing the "distilled whiskey" thing is a joke.. NEVER add electrolyte to a lead acid battery unless the battery got tipped over (or is brand new).. acid does not evaporate, only the water does..

The GPS on my boat is notorious for current draw - even when "turned off". I am forced to disconnect wiring at GPS base in order to prevent the boat battery from draining thru my GPS. You may want to check there as well, since you have a GPS.

CW

seems like your charging system. looks like you got the odyssey pc310 which is a strong battery and should last even if not on a tender.

Back