Another blow to the Militant Smokers Group

Normally I'm not on-board with this admins decisions, but I have to say I'm with them on this one. It's not like they are banning tobacco, just trying to prevent it from looking so great to kids. No big deal in my opinion. If they try banning tobacco then I would agree with some of the comments above.

So would you also be onboard with doing the same thing with fast food, soft drinks, candy, and all the crappy 2000% sugar cereals they advertise on kids television every day?

I guess I just fail to see how its okay for companies to sell one thing thats bad for kids, but not another thing. Either ban all of it or leave it alone.

So would you also be onboard with doing the same thing with fast food, soft drinks, candy, and all the crappy 2000% sugar cereals they advertise on kids television every day?

I guess I just fail to see how its okay for companies to sell one thing thats bad for kids, but not another thing. Either ban all of it or leave it alone.
a few small differences.. junk food in moderation can be tolerated by most.. smoking does not have this "a little is ok" thing going on (second hand smoke is also proven to be pretty stressful to many peoples bodies)..

I do see "junk food" to get more scrutiny however.. I think the biggest boost peoples health could see is of all things, a tough economy..

People buy so much pre-processed "ready to eat" stuff and it costs a lot of money.. fresh "DIY" foods can save you a ton of money in the long haul and it is pretty hard to load it with the trash in a Double Cheese Whopper..

It is amazing how many of our patients have cars with McD wrappers on the floors and want to drag fast food into the clinic... (no food allowed)

The bigger the patient, the worse thier diet appears to be.. some come in and they smell like a giant french fry.... truely gross... (and they weigh 300+)

Their health really suffers from all the blubber they carry around too.. so yea, the junk food tax will come... (change ya know)...

Mr. Obama was the canidate of CHANGE! Well we voted him in and now we are getting the change he promised.

Only thing is, I'm thinking it's not the change we thought we were voting for!

I'm thinking there are a whole heap of folks out there who voted for change who's having buyers remorse about now. If not, they will be before the "Change" is over with!

:beerchug:

WHO is WE?? I didn't vote for him.

A real disturbing fact.....alcohol kills and maims more people than any fast food, tobacco or soft drink. But they won't elevate the taxes on it because all legislators use it.........

WHO is WE?? I didn't vote for him.

A real disturbing fact.....alcohol kills and maims more people than any fast food, tobacco or soft drink. But they won't elevate the taxes on it because all legislators use it.........

I bet if you did a long-term study, you'd find more people have health problems related to fast food than tobacco use as well.

Cigarettes are delivery devices for nicotine addicts. In other word, cigarette companies are dope dealers. President Obama is a courageous man for standing up for those evil creatures.
Posted via Mobile Device

Take all the alcohol off the shelves too.Don't want our kids growing up to be drunks.But then again I hate a drunk.

alright I'm gonna say it, must be the salt in him, if I remember right Clinton started the crusade to regulate smoking, apparently, "we the people" don't have a clue when it comes to alienating our own health, we obviously need obie to point us in the right direction...

I really don't care if someone wants to smoke, as long as I don't share the smoking with them. Second-hand smoke causes health problems for non-smokers too.

Next they'll ban everything that can exceed the speed limits, because they are just too dangerous. They'll ban spoons because they make people fat. They find anything, and everything that they can use to gain more control over a public mass that they are scared of.

alright I'm gonna say it, must be the salt in him, if I remember right Clinton started the crusade to regulate smoking, apparently, "we the people" don't have a clue when it comes to alienating our own health, we obviously need obie to point us in the right direction...

There seems to be some truth there. I actually can't figure out why people smoke knowing it degrade your health in any amount. Also it can harm the health of people you come in contact with while smoking. You can say the same for any other product. Knowing that individuals still continue to smoke so I would have to agree that many "don't have a clue". That said, the legislation should not affect anyone over 18, you have every right to smoke.

Lastly, Smokers I will always support your right to smoke as long as you do so in a way that shows compassion and respect for those of us that do not wish to be around the second-hand smoke or see cigarette butts thrown all over.

:rofl: he said "WE" :rofl:

can not legislate stupid out of society... but I guess we can vote it in... people want to "Keel" themselves... fine let them, this is America rapidly going to "AmeriKa"

Here is your job, your car, your health and your messiah.... humbug.. I guess the days of us riding our mini bikes out to the desert with our .22's to blast rabbits has passed forever....

50 million died in WW2 to protect freedom and the liberals in power are sucking the very air we breathe right out of our life... Reagan is turning in his grave.. am gonna go shoot a cat now...

:rofl: he said "WE" :rofl:

can not legislate stupid out of society... but I guess we can vote it in... people want to "Keel" themselves... fine let them, this is America rapidly going to "AmeriKa"

Here is your job, your car, your health and your messiah.... humbug.. I guess the days of us riding our mini bikes out to the desert with our .22's to blast rabbits has passed forever....

50 million died in WW2 to protect freedom and the liberals in power are sucking the very air we breathe right out of our life... Reagan is turning in his grave.. am gonna go shoot a cat now...

B - Have you forgotten your medication again?

Lastly, Smokers I will always support your right to smoke as long as you do so in a way that shows compassion and respect for those of us that do not wish to be around the second-hand smoke or see cigarette butts thrown all over.

Dino: that's VERY well said. I tend hold that standpoint on things *I* am not a fan of as well.

I just have an issue with the government regulating it.

Same with the food arguments I made here earlier: if you wanna kill yourself by eating fast food, feel free, its your life and its a free country. Just dont go back and try to sue mcdonalds because you got fat, got diabetes, and your quality of life is now ruined.

Just as smokers know that smoking is bad for them, people who eat fast food and drink sodas all day know its gonna make them fat.

Cigarette makes a good citizen into a nicotine junkie; a la heroine, cocaine, meth etc. It has no redeeming value exept to keep the addiction going. Millions and millions of people are helplessly hooked.
Cigarette companies are modern day slave traders. In the future people will be amazed how those evil profiteers continued to have such strong influence in our society.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm a former smoker (been clean 5 years now after 15 years of smoking) and hate to see and smell people smoking now. It's a disgusting and unhealthy addiction. But the government shouldn't be regulating it. If people want to smoke, it is a free country. At least it used to be.

Cigarette makes a good citizen into a nicotine junkie; a la heroine, cocaine, meth etc. It has no redeeming value exept to keep the addiction going. Millions and millions of people are helplessly hooked.
Cigarette companies are modern day slave traders. In the future people will be amazed how those evil profiteers continued to have such strong influence in our society.
Posted via Mobile Device

And the point thats been made all along is that fast food, junk food, etc, can have all the same arguments made about it, yet they arent scorned (or taxed) like cigarettes are. why?

The sad thing here is that nobody stops to ask the question of "what's next".

By this, i mean...okay, so they decide they're gonna tax the bejeezus out of the smokers, because smoking is bad for you, blah blaH BLAH...we tax the health care system (which is also bull****, I have health insurance and pay extra for it because of the fact that i DO smoke) blah blah blah blah... It bothers others, blah blah blah...

Fine, here's the answer to whats next: a ridiculously high tax on fast food and candy. Why not? its bad for you, it taxes the health care system because fatties have more health issues than non-fatties. More prone to diabetes, etc etc...

Once they try that, everyone is gonna scream bloody murder, of course...but the govt can say "well you backed it when it was the smokers, and in doing so, set a precident. Suck it up and pay that tax, fatty!

+1 Fast food, candy, soda & candy flavored cereal do more lasting harm then me smoking a few cigars or cigarettes. Oh, by the way I have an appointment with my doctor tomorrow to get my Rx for more rolling tobacco!

:whistle:

Was this Pre Mrs. Lewenski and the cigar trick? the bottom line is I don't smoke but other people do and it is their God given right to do so as stated above with the courtesy of others in mind. I'll say it again we have the right to screw ourselves up. now if we could get rid of the laywers who sue the hell outta companies that provide the cigarettes,fast food, candy etc. then we would have less of this as an issue. we all know coffee is hot , anyone who can read knows cigarettes are bad for you, Jared proved fast food makes you fat. the information is not hidden or kept a big secret we all know this and we should be responsible for our own decisions without regulation.

Back