Another bit of imposed technology I oppose

TallTom

Registered
So tonight its announced that by 2014 all cars purchased in the US will have black boxes, like data recorders, will be installed. They will be used by car manufacturers, insurance industry, law enforcement, and etc. except by US the owners of these vehicles. It will record all sorts of parameters and be available to downlink, remotely.

I hope the ACLU crushes them.

TT - I believe the computers in vehicles from the past few years have computer recordings that can be accessed. Not quite a black box, but I think they can retrieve all data from your riding. I just hope they don't use that against me in a court of law! :)

1 reason is Honda / toyo and other car manufactures collect leased cars / defunct loans that are way late on money...the cars have a disable / tracking system like onstar yet they don't say much...there have been lawsuits where a persons car is shut down and the get robbed / assaulted and when they / car owner finds out why the car did not drive off... they...the collecting groups... were forced to change their ways.

It is no different with cell phones....next it will be bikes...why do you need a bike that exceeds the speed limit? Track purposes is a good reason...the vehicle tracking is fine as well...maybe car theft will go down

Believe if I buy a car with a black box that will be the first thing disconnected.

This is where Rubb is gonna make his fortune. :laugh:

I will make and sell a TRE for cars.

Totally
Remove
Exsisting data

"Course the fuggin' thing wont work that great,so everyone will then have to buy my new and improved Smart Tre.:rofl:

Not only is "Big Brother" watching you...but the bastid is now hiding under yer seat in a black box.

RSD.

TT - I believe the computers in vehicles from the past few years have computer recordings that can be accessed. Not quite a black box, but I think they can retrieve all data from your riding. I just hope they don't use that against me in a court of law! :)

Yes they have had a "version" of these in cars for a few years now. But it was primarily used for performance parameter data logging and the split seconds that take place during an accident. And it has to be hard wire downloaded with my knowledge.

This generation, tracks, speed, acceleration, braking, turning G-Forces etc etc etc. And that I could probably deal with. And I could even deal with say for example, giving my insurance company the rights to monitor it if they in turn gives me a reduced rate for "good data" results.

What I CANNOT accept is the ability for these entities to download wirelessly, without my knowledge, this information.

This is where Rubb is gonna make his fortune. :laugh:

I will make and sell a TRE for cars.

Totally
Remove
Exsisting data

"Course the fuggin' thing wont work that great,so everyone will then have to buy my new and improved Smart Tre.:rofl:

Not only is "Big Brother" watching you...but the bastid is now hiding under yer seat in a black box.

RSD.

I'm excited and scared all at once LOL

Yeah, I agree, this is going to be Big Brother and every lawyer in his family, just waiting to show you who's boss...ughhhh...

via Samsung Galaxy SIII

I think i'll be buying a used one made before 2014 I guess...

They will get to the point where they read the data & fine you for all the overages... map where you were, etc... etc... :banghead: And bikes cannot be far behind....

They will get to the point where they read the data & fine you for all the overages... map where you were, etc... etc... :banghead: And bikes cannot be far behind....

Or the insurance company can decide to increase your rates because you accelerate too fast or brake hard too often or blah blah blah.Also in the report to sort of address the abuse potential, they pointed out that the black box will not know who is driving or on what roads they were on, unless of course it is also in a car that has factory installed on board navigation systems. Which effectively mutes that last point of reference.

And I will go so far as to say that I built these things in the Air Force and Civilian aviation community for a number of years. The technology will be the same. My car has a Smart Key system. Briefly that means that you really don't need a key. Your "FOB" that is in your pocket gets recognized as I approach the car. The car knows it's me. In so doing, it unlocks the door, sets my seats, mirrors, A/C etc to my settings. All of this is stored into a computer on board somewhere. My G/F has a "FOB". If she walks up it sees her and sets everything to her saved settings. So while it may not know by name who is driving, all of those settings I'm certain will be retrievable. It will be assumed it will be me simply by that info. Conversely if someone does not have a "FOB", the only way the car can be started is if I provide a metal digital ID strip to the valet. He waves that in front of the start button and it allows the car to be started and driven. On the surface all gee whizz slicko keeno. And yes I do like these features. When my g/f and I have sex in the car, the Smart.......errrrr nevermind.....just seeing if you were still reading this.

What they market as fuel management and convenience features, will start to be used against you.

I will keep a/an older vehicle/s to have fun in/on. Screw the intrusive bastards that want to control our lives.

If the black box is interfaced with the ecu Im sure someone in the tuning community will add a feature to their tuning software to delete or mask driving data. If it becomes law that we need to have it in our vehicles then its all over anyway, we'll be showing our papers at every corner not long after.

Just another reason to go with an old car. Been thinking about insurance and taxes lately .........

Until they pass laws ( laws are for suckers ) to criminalize ECU tampering, and can detect it beyond a reasonable doubt, then we CAN be safe from this raping. One thing is for certain, the government and liberals in general are incompetent, laughably so, so we have a few years yet, if you are prepared. The real problem is "Do Gooders". They must be made extinct.

Back