Another bit of imposed technology I oppose

Read somewhere this is being used for false whiplash claims in Europe. :suspect:

You can thank the 1+ million moron jackasses who signed up for the Progressive Insurance Snapshot monitor. If that had been a massive failure, other companies would get the hint that the public doesn't want it and therefor there is no money in it. Instead over 1 million fools volunteered to have their driving habits monitored for a discount on an already overpriced mass advertised insurance company.
You can usually guess who has that monitor in their car too...they'll be the idiot that blocks up traffic by slowing down for a stop sign 2 blocks back and when a light turns green, the semi in the next lane will out accelerate them.

Anyone who's had one of those monitors should be maimed to the point they can never drive a car again. Heck, anyone who uses Progressive at all should be ***** slapped into next week...along with that ugly ***** Flo.

These are the same type of people who will be first in line to have themselves and their kids "chipped". They'll be all giddy over the idea of how safe they'll be having medical information available at a swipe and the extra protection if their kids become lost or abducted. And don't forget the convenience of simply having your arm scanned while buying your trendy (aka crappy overpriced) Nike and Apple products! No need to carry bulky cash or plastic anymore...it's now built into you!
Last year I adopted a pet from a shelter with a chip. They showed me how it worked by scanning her with a wand and all sorts of info popped up. They automatically do it to every pet they get and I'm sure they get a kickback from the chip company as you have to pay a registration fee. I never registered as I will not support that kind of technology, especially the way they're pushing it.

I give it 10 more years. The commercial success from monitoring cars to putting ID chips in pets and volunteer humans will make it acceptable to the idiot masses and eventually it'll lead to the government forcing it on everyone. If they don't mandate it in the name of terrorism, they'll just make your life difficult by not having it. Current example would be renewing your plates or paying property taxes without internet access in Indiana.

Believe if I buy a car with a black box that will be the first thing disconnected.
I am guessing if its required, that would mean required by law. I think disconnecting would then be a little dishonest. I don't think i could live with the guilt of doing something that isn't quite right...:poke:

I'm pretty sure that I would not want to have all of my travels reviewed and appraised..... I may have exceeded the posted limits a couple of times that I did not get the chance to pay the fine for yet :whistle:

This technology has been adound for years. Yes, it does have to be hard wire downloaded. just had a guy locally who had been twice convicted of OUI hit a family on bicycles killing one and putting his 15 month old son in ICU. Local popo impounded the truck he was driving so they could get a warrant to download the info from his ECU. Anyone have a vehicle with OnStar? Do you get the diagnostic email once a month? Think they can't download your habits remotely? Think again. It's comin. Quickly

I'm pretty sure that I would not want to have all of my travels reviewed and appraised..... I may have exceeded the posted limits a couple of times that I did not get the chance to pay the fine for yet :whistle:

No worries Strom...I will be a witness for you in court.

I distinctly remember you mentioning to me that...

"The cheque is in the mail." :whistle:

RSD.

nothing new.....police and insurance companies in the UK have been reading data from ecu's for years to prove speeds and braking etc when major accidents occur.
All the sensors run through the ECU and many manufacturers have datalogers built into the ECU so its just a matter of having the right means to be able to pull the data..........1 new bit that is coming in is a GPS transceiver so it makes you trackable...they are using the story of better car security etc but in the end like oh so much tech these days it will be open to abuse by those with the means and money.
UK has the whole phone hacking nightmare over the last few years so no reason car GPS couldn't be abused to track individuals.
We already have a camera network that can be used to find vehicles on almost any main road in the UK so this new tech being fitted as standard just adds to the arsenal of tools that can be used by those who claim to need it.

Back