Another bad dealership experience

Tetsuo1000

Registered
I have never had a positive motorcycle dealership experience. Today, although not really a big deal, just confuses me.
Drove an hour to my nearest Suzuki dealership to pick up an oil filter. Before leaving I checked the hours they are open on a Saturday. I arrive at 1, walk up to an empty parts counter.
One of the three sales guys yells from his desk across the room “hey buddy, Parts guys leave at noon on Saturday.”
“I just need a oil filter”. I replied
“Well you are out of luck bud”
My confusion is this, motorcycle dealerships are struggling. How much effort would it take to have a sales or mechanic (I noted they were working in the back) trained on the point of sale to cover the parts counter while open.
Zero effort made.
That’s it, excuse me now, I am going to amazon. Someone is on their parts counter 24 7.

I have never had a positive motorcycle dealership experience. Today, although not really a big deal, just confuses me.
Drove an hour to my nearest Suzuki dealership to pick up an oil filter. Before leaving I checked the hours they are open on a Saturday. I arrive at 1, walk up to an empty parts counter.
One of the three sales guys yells from his desk across the room “hey buddy, Parts guys leave at noon on Saturday.”
“I just need a oil filter”. I replied
“Well you are out of luck bud”
My confusion is this, motorcycle dealerships are struggling. How much effort would it take to have a sales or mechanic (I noted they were working in the back) trained on the point of sale to cover the parts counter while open.
Zero effort made.
That’s it, excuse me now, I am going to amazon. Someone is on their parts counter 24 7.
That probably worked out in your favor. I’m sure if the parts guy would’ve been there he would’ve told you that they have to order the filter and you need to come in a week later to get it. I hate to say this, but my local dealers can kiss my :moon:! I wish I could buy motorcycles and cars directly from the manufacturer to save the aggravation.!! Sorry....... rant over.

I had a great relationship with the parts manager at my local Suzi dealer and bought tons of stuff from her. New owners of the place let her go, and promoted the idiot that couldn't find his own a$$ with both hands and a flashlight. I've not been back since my first encounter with him. Customer service is the key to any successful business.
Businesses need to do a better job “screening” the people they hire. I know good workers are hard to come by, but the clowns I’ve encountered at some of the businesses I’ve been to is pretty sad.

I do use my local motorcycle dealership to by parts and accessories they are pretty good people however sometimes I also buy online with Clothes its important to make sure you buy the right size I recently got burned for the first time with online shopping ordered some riding pants from Spain they were to big for me returned the pants back to Spain however the pants did not go past customs some crap about being a commercial item the seller said customs will send the pants back to me 4 months later :banghead: and 300 bucks down the drain I have learnt my lesson shall we say :thumbsup:

I do not think this is a case of bad customer service. Seems more like a case of not knowing parts counter hours? I can understand the exasperation of not getting it local and having to wait though.

I do not think this is a case of bad customer service. Seems more like a case of not knowing parts counter hours? I can understand the exasperation of not getting it local and having to wait though.
lol... c'mon.... it was just a filter, good intentions go a long way.

You are right, totally not a big deal. Perhaps I am expecting too much from people. Either the website misinforming me of counter hours or the 5 staff that I saw that had nothing to do but sit at their desks.
What I wanted to highlight in a struggling industry. (New motorcycle sales down 10% in NorthAmerica angain this year, I am sure parts sales are worse) I would put more effort into service even a $10 walk in. But perhaps I think differently, and to each their own

You are right, totally not a big deal. Perhaps I am expecting too much from people. Either the website misinforming me of counter hours or the 5 staff that I saw that had nothing to do but sit at their desks.
What I wanted to highlight in a struggling industry. (New motorcycle sales down 10% in NorthAmerica angain this year, I am sure parts sales are worse) I would put more effort into service even a $10 walk in. But perhaps I think differently, and to each their own
Yeah, expecting people to know what they're talking about and make an effort is clearly expecting too much from people. :confused:

I do use my local motorcycle dealership to by parts and accessories they are pretty good people however sometimes I also buy online with Clothes its important to make sure you buy the right size I recently got burned for the first time with online shopping ordered some riding pants from Spain they were to big for me returned the pants back to Spain however the pants did not go past customs some crap about being a commercial item the seller said customs will send the pants back to me 4 months later :banghead: and 300 bucks down the drain I have learnt my lesson shall we say :thumbsup:

If Revzilla will ship to you, they are excellent to buy and return anything, especially gear.

I try to support local when I can...I drove an hour to Southern Honda to buy an oil filter for my 2014 CB1100 Honda. This is a huge Honda dealership, I didn't even consider their response. We don't stock them I can order one...ugh.

I try to support local when I can...I drove an hour to Southern Honda to buy an oil filter for my 2014 CB1100 Honda. This is a huge Honda dealership, I didn't even consider their response. We don't stock them I can order one...ugh.
That's nuts considering they do oil changes on bikes which need oil filters...and most of them are universal.

Think your spot on people want to support local dealerships. In DesMoines there is a KTM shop called Moto Sports. I would go out of my way to spend $$ there. They treated me great even when I was buying a $5 bolt. They took their time to learn my name and know my bike even loaned me specialty tools. If I went in with questions the owner would chat with me and give me things to look at let him know if it worked never told me to bring it in. They stocked tons of parts only thing I ever needed they didn’t have in stock was a carburetor. This is a real dealer. A place you go out of your way to spend your $$ because what they provide you can’t buy anywhere.

I was working on a friends 2011 crf250 went to the local Honda dealer looking for a sprocket and was told they could order it. Everyone can order anything online and not pay dealership markup.

Think your spot on people want to support local dealerships. In DesMoines there is a KTM shop called Moto Sports. I would go out of my way to spend $$ there. They treated me great even when I was buying a $5 bolt. They took their time to learn my name and know my bike even loaned me specialty tools. If I went in with questions the owner would chat with me and give me things to look at let him know if it worked never told me to bring it in. They stocked tons of parts only thing I ever needed they didn’t have in stock was a carburetor. This is a real dealer. A place you go out of your way to spend your $$ because what they provide you can’t buy anywhere.

I was working on a friends 2011 crf250 went to the local Honda dealer looking for a sprocket and was told they could order it. Everyone can order anything online and not pay dealership markup.
Agreed 100%

the new business model is somewhat less prductive. Back in the day everyone oculd do everything basically. Now in the current day and age of "it aint my job", its hard to find good customer service. Most folk are very territorial about their jobs and do not share the knowledge. So though i get the exasperation, i understand both views some.

You wouldnt go to the grocery store an hour after they close and expect the night stockers to open up and sell you items.

the new business model is somewhat less prductive. Back in the day everyone oculd do everything basically. Now in the current day and age of "it aint my job", its hard to find good customer service. Most folk are very territorial about their jobs and do not share the knowledge. So though i get the exasperation, i understand both views some.

You wouldnt go to the grocery store an hour after they close and expect the night stockers to open up and sell you items.
grocery stores close? u gotta move to ny.

No, but if the website said they were open until 5 and I got there at 4, I wouldn't expect the night stockers to tell me they wouldn't go get me a bag of sugar off the shelf....

Back