Angel Kevin(VMAN1300) Riding with Me Saturday Morning

Trashy

Registered
About 4:45 AM Saturday Morning 6-13-09. I was traveling I-26 East about 114 mile marker, driving an 18 wheeler loaded with 78,000 pounds of wood chips. I was in the 3rd lane coming upon exit 116 to I-77. A garbage truck an pickup with camper in tow were in the 3rd lane well ahead on me. All I could see was a dark object hit the 3rd lane an throw sparks in front of the pickup. Then for a brief second, I could see a dark object in front of the pickup, before the impact with the pickup. Then this dark object flying across into my lane. Since I had no one to my right, I went to the 3rd & emergency lane(These loads are very top heavy). I missed the object, but the pickup an camper were in those lanes fishtailing. So I then started to move back into the first lane. About the time I started over the pickup an camper jackknifed, an came right in front of me. I knew if I kept on rolling I would cream the pickup in the drivers door and kill or hurt those people really bad. I made the choice to cut hard left into the retaining wall, knowing it would lay the truck over. My left hand cut the wheel hard left, my right cut the seat belt loose, over we went.

When it was over, my trucks icc bumper was against the retaining wall. Truck an trailer across all 3 lanes, load scattered all over the interstate. The hood an top of the cab was 1 inch from the drivers door of the pickup. The object was a trash dumpster.

When the garbage truck was dumping the dumpster it fell off the forks an into the hooper. The dumb azz driver was suppose to call company an get the boom truck out to pick the dumpster out of the hooper:rulez:. He didn't an chose to drive the truck to the yard. And when he hit the bridge it threw the dumpster into the road causing all this mess. His boss told us he was involved in another accident the day before.

I know you guys want photos'. My camera was in the truck an they didn't even want me to climb back into it to get my papers. I cannot find any photos' on the news. But the insurance company is suppose to be sending me some photos'. When they do I'll post them to this thread. This is why I have waited to post waiting on photos'.

The only reason I am posting now and that no one but me hurt(Minor), Is Angel Kevin(VMAN1300) and God. Guys PLEASE ALWAYS BE AWARE OF YOUR SURROUNDINGS.

OMG Trashy! I'm so thankful your ok, no one else was hurt and you had your angel Kevin looking out for ya. I sure hope the garbage truck guy gets whats coming to him for putting peoples lives at risk, that could have been so much worse. How scary.

I wish all truck drivers were like you. Even though it wasen't your fault you you put your own life at risk to save another. Way to bring your A game when it counts.:bowdown:

Holy Cow.... Yes indeed the Man upstairs was looking out for U and we know you got some help from Kev as well. Glad to hear that your OK and that no one was seriously hurt. This could have been a lot worse.

Keith, glad that nobody was hurt seriously. Glad that you are here to talk to us. Sorry you had to risk your life to prevent the slaughter of another innocent individual.
Thank you for going beyond what would be expected. You and your family have always been and will always be held in the highest regard.

I'm echoing the rest, great job! A lot of other people wouldn't have done it that way, I commend you for that. :beerchug:

man upstairs was looking out not only for you but for the people in the vehicle you almost creamed...:poke:
:thumbsup: on not killing anyone

Wow, glad that wasn't a tragic situation. Damage to the vehicles can be fixed, but . . . :please:

Glad that you were able to not hit the pick up and
possibly take a life...even better that you or no
one else were seriously hurt. Kev would of been
(is) proud of you :thumbsup:

Watch out for flying dumpsters! Trashy, stay away from the dumpsters! :rofl:
You know I couldn't refuse that one! That one is almost as good as "Watch out for the gravel. . ."

After driving OTR for most of his life, the thoughts of living knowing you took someone's life is just unbearable. As a hard core trucker, I know he feels his life is expendable at the cost of saving others. For that, much respect and honor goes out to you, Brother! Heal quickly! Thank you, God, for "One More Day. . ."

You all just don't know how fortunate I feel that Keith is here with us today! I was in West Palm Beach vacationing and made a beeline for SC. The thoughts of losing both my brothers so quickly would be just too much for me to handle. There are two things that I know for sure. . .we all have guardian angels and we are fortunate to have them and when God calls us home we are going home. It is times like these that we need to remember these words. . .

"If Today Was Your Last Day"
Nickelback

My best friend gave me the best advice
He said each day's a gift and not a given right
Leave no stone unturned, leave your fears behind
And try to take the path less traveled by
That first step you take is the longest stride

If today was your last day
And tomorrow was too late
Could you say goodbye to yesterday?
Would you live each moment like your last?
Leave old pictures in the past
Donate every dime you have?

Against the grain should be a way of life
What's worth the prize is always worth the fight
Every second counts 'cause there's no second try
So live like you'll never live it twice
Don't take the free ride in your own life

Would you call old friends you never see?
Reminisce old memories
Would you forgive your enemies?
Would you find that one you're dreamin' of?
Swear up and down to God above
That you finally fall in love

Would you make your mark by mending a broken heart?
You know it's never too late to shoot for the stars
Regardless of who you are
So do whatever it takes
'Cause you can't rewind a moment in this life
Let nothin' stand in your way
Cause the hands of time are never on your side

Would you call old friends you never see?
Reminisce old memories
Would you forgive your enemies?
Would you find that one you're dreamin' of?
Swear up and down to God above
That you finally fall in love

Last edited:
I work for the American Trucking Associations and have been priviledged to work with some of the nicest and best truck drivers in the country. Good job Trashy. You are one of those drivers who make us very proud.

A good never goes unpunished.. I hope your benevolence isn't rewarded with a higher insurance premium in this not at fault accident..

Trashy...that's quite a recount, bro. I'm glad you're as well as you are.

What a relief. When I got your e-mail yesterday, I was shocked.

Thanks for the update.

Guy in the camper was pretty lucky you were wide awake and aware... I bet 40,000+ in woodchips makes heck of a mess...

Good job driving and certainly glad you are for the most part ok... Need someone to pick on at Fall bash and you make a good target :)

Back