... and what's with "Plastic Wrap"?

WWJD

Donating Member
Registered
why do we have plastic wrap? does EVERYTHING we buy need to be wrapped so it feels like christmas when we tear it open? and how many of you are TIRED of trying to rip through some of that industrial strength version of plastic wrap that just stretches and twists but never seems to tear? ? ? Think about it. arn't most of the things that are shrink wrapped already inside some other hard protective casing? Are we destroying acres and acres of rubber plants to make all that plastic wrap? I, obviously, don't know what ingredients go in to shrink wrap but it must be some natural resource we are wasting to wrap something, ship it to a store, only to buy it and tear it all off and throw it away? how many of you are like me and NEVER remember to put torn up little pieces of shrink wrap into the PLASTICS RECYCLABLE container? ? ? Yeah, I thought so! So, this comes up cuz I just bought a DVD [BASEketball] and a video game and wondered why it had to be shrink wrapped? the hard plastic boxes were already sealed with other plastic stickers keeping people from stealing the product inside - as well as plastic clips on the video game. nobody uses price tags anymore so that excuse is out. I wonder how many millions are spent per year on this throw away, wasteful endeavor? Anyone here work in the shrink wrapping industry.

IT'S TIME FOR US TO JUST SAY NO TO PLASTIC WRAP!!!

plastic.gif

But what about the plastic wrap companies WWJD?! Think of them...
laugh.gif

I don't get it...nearly all packaging is way overdone...they even tell you on the outside of a bag of chips "this bag is just 1/2 filled with the product and then PUFFED up with air so you feel all warm and fuzzy about spending the $3.99 for this MONDO size bag of junk food...enjoy"

Wouldn't it make more sense to just use 1/2 the wrapping to sell what's inside? Hrmmmm...

It's all part of moral decay I tell ya...

If my wife could see me now, reading about plastic shrink wrap, Jeez.  

Still, if you want me to start chanting I will.

Down with Shrink Wrap.  We want sandwiches unwrapped !  
And we want them unwrapped NOW !!

Just say no, don't do it.

Sorry WWJD, you're quite right I hate seeing things wasted.
smile.gif

<!--EDIT|kod3001
Reason for Edit: None given...|1130444356 -->

If my wife could see me now, reading about plastic shrink wrap, Jeez.  

Still, if you want me to start chanting I will.

Down with Shrink Wrap.  We want sandwiches unwrapped !  
And we want them unwrapped NOW !!

Just say no, don't do it.

Sorry WWJD, you're quite right I hate seeing things wasted.
smile.gif
laugh.gif

i understand your point, what's killding me is those plastic protectors with a thick paper in between making the product 10 times bigger than it is just to make it more visible. Well, it takes a very stong man to tear it.
Dannon just decided to get rid of the plastic cap on their yogurt. Now, half of the time the aluminum seal rips in my work bag.

rock.gif

I hate the plastic wrap the is on new dvd's and cd's. It takes you twenty minutes just to open the dayum thing then you have the security labels that always tear. Just drives me crazy.

But what about the plastic wrap companies WWJD?!  Think of them...
laugh.gif

I don't get it...nearly all packaging is way overdone...they even tell you on the outside of a bag of chips "this bag is just 1/2 filled with the product and then PUFFED up with air so you feel all warm and fuzzy about spending the $3.99 for this MONDO size bag of junk food...enjoy"

Wouldn't it make more sense to just use 1/2 the wrapping to sell what's inside?  Hrmmmm...

The air is there to protect and cushion the chips so they don't get broken during shipping
wink.gif

Nothing pisses me off more than the plastic blister packs. If you don't have a razor blade handy forget about opening the damn thing. Jab at it for a while with a key or pen and get a hole started then cut your fingers as you try and tear it apart.

One day someone will accidentally slice a wrist open and bleed to death. Once the lawsuit is over with we'll go back to good old cardboard boxes!

Blister packs only piss you off cause your tryin to play with a new toy before you get home... I once bought something in the "what looks like it can be seperated along the seams" package but wouldnt seperate cause it was sealed too. I went str8 to hardware and used some dykes to cut it all open. I should a fired up a band saw in hardware.

JD

Blister packs only piss you off cause your tryin to play with a new toy before you get home...[/QUOTE]

Damn right!
biggrin.gif

Word of advice...when your sitting in the car in front of Best Buy trying to get at your new toy do not use your ignition key. SNAP!
wow.gif
Plastic wallet key comes to the rescue once again.

sure.... but STILL!! Hear the pleas of a desperate America?? Blister packs!! Dont get me started
biggrin.gif

The worst offenders are the USB memory stick makers.

The memory stick is .5 x 1.5 inches and the plastic surrounding it is 8.5 x 11inches.

The ultimate in waste (as in wasting my time trying to open the darn thing)

laugh.gif

Wouldn't it make more sense to just use 1/2 the wrapping to sell what's inside?  Hrmmmm...

The air in the bag serves to make the bag less compressable so the chips don't get smushed. But I agree about the shrink wrap. Sometimes I have to get a scissor or tin snips to get it open.

laugh.gif

The air in the bag serves to make the bag less compressable so the chips don't get smushed.  But I agree about the shrink wrap.  Sometimes I have to get a scissor or tin snips to get it open.
Okay guys, it was just kind of a joke, though I do notice they're usually broken anyway...

Good grief...technicalities!!!

Ohhh, what about the *500* plastic tie-wraps, and plastic-coated wire-ties that are used to hold children's toys in the box!?!?! Oh, don't forget the plastic tape that is then used to cover the platic ties!

Ya know....your kid *really* wants his new toy...but you spend an HOUR trying to get the toy outta the box...all while your kid is screaming an crying cuz you're not removing the toy fast enough?!?!?

mad.gif

oms, I'm usually bawling before I can get through the second twistie tie!!!! :~O

somehow, they used to sell a wooden toy train BY ITSELF, NAKED, OFF THE SHELF, without instructions even.... whatever happened to that? ? ? ahhh, progress has come so far...
biggrin.gif

I THEEENK large boxes and containers were designed with America's "Bigger is better" mantality, and also to discourage shoplifting. um... keep the smaller stuff behind the counter? just a thought. anyone know about the "Large American Packaging Conspiracy?" am I right about that?

Back