And so it starts.....

RedBusarider

Registered
Well - put the bikes away for the winter yesterday.

So, about a good 6 months with no riding. :banghead:

From today forward there are no days forecast with high temps above 30 some degrees except an
occasional 40 degree temp (subject to change) forecast in December. Extended forecasts are iffy at best.
Windchill is 21 today. Snow forecast for tonight and the next few days.

Most years I wouldn't put them away till the Friday after Thanksgiving but we are 15-20 cooler then normal
so I took advantage of the LAST warm day of the year to move them. Last year I had to ride over snow, but I
think the temp was higher.

One of the few advantages to winter is less bugs DURING wintertime. Not sure how they can survive winter and
return every year. ???

I know there is no perfect place on Earth and there are pros and cons to just about everything.
I have been researching in preparation to move to a warmer climate in the future.
The Southwest seems like one of the better areas in the US. CA is too expensive, but the weather is pretty nice most of the time.
Las Vegas is pretty nice for the desert but dry compared to most places. Phoenix is hot in summer but nice in winter.
FL is nice but they get their share of rain and hurricanes etc.

So is there any place in the US (48) that never (or almost never) gets below 60 for highs even in the dead of winter?
Or do you have to go further south like Mexico to get that?
How many of you don't own a furnace? Anyone? And no it doesn't count if you rent and that is why you don't own one.
Maybe the better question is who doesn't use a furnace ever?

Has anyone moved from a cold weather State and regretted the move or wished they had moved someplace else?
How many of you have two homes (that you own) and split the year in two living in both.
Anyone have a Motorhome (and/or Travel Trailer) and escape the cold months that way? If so, do you stay in one place or move around?

Hard to ride often when about 6 months is cut out. :banghead:
So much for Global Warming. At least in my neck of the woods.

Well sorry to here, but im going out for a ride before the clouds roll in later this after noon!

I'm in FL. I'll be riding in to work every day this week.

Rain depends on your location too. If you're in an area like Tampa, the bay helps pick up a lot of moisture, so it ends up raining every day at 2pm like clockwork during the summer.

During the winter, not nearly as much rain. So right now we're in the sweet spot where there is cool temps, but not too cold, and no rain.

the leaves have changed and gone away.
the snow has come and is here to stay.
we park our bikes in the hopes that they, will come to life another day.

we sit in our homes, watching Long Way Around.
dreaming of adventures, yet to be found.

spring will come, that's what they say.
yea, spring is only, six months away!

:beerchug: Stay Warm!

I will keep an eye out for that cold weather, so far still in the upper 60s and 70s around here.

Well, out here it never gets below 60. Days range from 84-103 (record highest). We have rain, some typhoons and some storms, but for the most part, it's decent. Little expensive sometimes, but life is good...just another day in paradise. You may run out of road quickly, but at least you can ride year-round.

Hmm...furnace? Haven't needed one. Ever. :)

I feel your pain....:banghead:

I seen the forecast last week that Tuesday was gonna be in the upper 60's and sunny. Then the decline begins 40's....30's...20's and snow. I said "F" it and put in 4 a vacation day yesterday. Woke up and got some solid hours of riding in!! Rode both my bikes and washed my truck. People couldn't understand why I'd take a vacay in the middle of the weekv??

Told em obviously you don't own a motorcycle so U wouldn't understand...:whistle:

I'm definitely thinking move longterm as well. 2 be able 2 ride year round and comfortable would be a dream come true :thumbsup:

Whats the riding season like near The Dragon??

Well they were right and we got our first snow. Typically once we get snow it is here till April. :banghead:
Since the temps are not forecast to get above 40 degrees for the rest of the year it is a good bet that will hold true this year too.

Still snowing when I took this.

I tend to get a lot more snow then places 20 - 50 miles east of me because of the
Many Trillion gallons of water 20 miles west of me - AKA Lake effect snowfall.

Still snowing when I took this/these.

P1030086_zps0862ae57.jpg

Yesterday

P1030083_zpsc5935064.jpg

Today

P1030084_zps2b6c6c9c.jpg

Don't know why I couldn't attach images but it would never take them so I had to use an offsite image storage server.
Then it timed out and wouldn't let me edit the post.

Not sure why there is a timer on editing a post someone made.
Other forums let me edit indefinitely if it was my post, can edit or remove the post anytime.
Something that doesn't seem to be available here.
Like when someone sells something and then asks for the post to be removed but can't and it stays there forever?
If they could remove it they wouldn't keep getting PM's asking about it........???

Oh well, just wanted to explain why the pictures didn't/couldn't be added to my prior post. :banghead:

Looks like I got my bikes put away just in time.

So - is it that no one hates cold as much as I do and travels to a warmer climate during the 4 letter season called SNOW?

The leaves have changed color, starting to fall, but we can still ride. :laugh:

House_zps3a1dd5f3.jpg

Enjoy it ASAP - as I heard the cold temps are headed your way too.
Don't know if you will see any white stuff (do you ever see any?) but cooler is forecast for most of the USA except the Southwest.

99% of all the leave up here are now down. I have one tree (Silver Maple) that holds on as long as it can
before it sheds them all. As a matter of fact a lot of them came down today and are sitting on top of the snow.
Maybe 20% left to fall yet.

So - is it that no one hates cold as much as I do and travels to a warmer climate during the 4 letter season called SNOW?

If I had the money I'd head for a warmer climate for sure. I posted a question similar to yours a few months back, I'm looking to move to a new and warmer location as well. It should be easy right? Find a new job, sell the old house, buy a new house, ride to work every day! ???

Back