And so it begins

BigBadDodge

Registered
Have been throwing the idea around of building a all business race car again, doing even more thinking that i have got to stop beating on the dodge before i break it:whistle: a 600+ horse daily driver is cool and all but if i break something i'm screwed. The plan for this little truck was to be the beater in case of said failure of the cummins.

Now the plan is
4 linked tube chassis and subframe all built by me
Lighten her up, all the non essentials will be gone
Big slicks
1996 12 valve cummins. Will probably start with a few bolt ons and see where it goes. Setting it up similar to a buddies big block s10. Trans, chassis and body weigh in at 2200lbs. So factoring in the weight of the 6 banger shooting for 3500lbs. Should be stupid fast, plan is all fuel, no spray, would like to get a 9 second run out of her someday:laugh:
Bought this thing off a buddy for 300 bucks, motor has a valve wedged in piston 1, destroyed the head and cracked the cylinder walls
mini1.jpg

carnage1.jpg

Started the tear down tonight then went to bike night and didnt get the front end apart like i wanted:whistle:

My buddy is trying to shoehorn that engine into his 69 caddie....ever done one of those?

all ive ever played with are the trucks.
Everybody and they're brother has a "race truck" thats generally just they're daily driver or they take a standard cab truck lower it, run high 12's and thats a "race truck" hell i've got 2 buddies with low 14 second "race trucks"
So figure ill build a legit one

Frog i didnt see that till later but yea lol

I use to love drag racing. I got out of it because it just got to where it cost to much for what you won. I was more into the Pro Street car thing. Looking forward to seeing what your end results are. :thumbsup:

i still dont get purpose built diesel race cars/trucks, if it were me id like to see a lsx with some form of f.i. but to each his own :thumbsup:

i still dont get purpose built diesel race cars/trucks, if it were me id like to see a lsx with some form of f.i. but to each his own :thumbsup:

Biggest reason is power per dollar i've got around 3gs into my 06 on a stock bottom end making over 600 horses and 1300 ftlbs. My buddies got a lsx swap in a s10 with 8k into it and it makes 500. Every other car you see out here has a ls swap

mustang Diesel with 3 turbos!! - YouTube[/url]

Takes a bit for him to get spooled but low 5 sec 1/8th times:laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Biggest reason is power per dollar i've got around 3gs into my 06 on a stock bottom end making over 600 horses and 1300 ftlbs. My buddies got a lsx swap in a s10 with 8k into it and it makes 500. Every other car you see out here has a ls swap

Durn that thing put out some smoke! Can't be good for the atmosphere! Somebody call Al Gore :)

It only took him 55 seconds to get ready to go? Could he possibly be competitive with a build like that? How could he ever cut a decent light?
It did go once gone though :laugh:

Good luck on your truck build.

Oh yea seems that ones more of a exhibition type car, i start spooling mine before i pull into the groove to get her lit and stage. Diesel smokes particulate and doesnt contain the crap thats dangerous to the enviroment like gas rides do:laugh:

i can see it with something that already has a diesel or someone that has access to donor parts cheap but to actually build a race vehicle, seems the money would be pretty much the same.

im just not a diesel guy i guess. :beerchug:

I took a STOCK,bottom end,heads,and intake 2002 LS1 except for a N20 grind cam,springs, and push rods with a 200 shot and made 597hp and 623ft of tork at the wheels in a 02 Z28. Cost me WAY LESS than 8 grand! Actually less than 3 grand even after a good dyno tune:whistle: But good luck with your project and props for being different

Yea but anyone can build a LS motor and everyone does, theres no originality in anything anymore. I'm getting this engine on the dirt cheap and doing my own welding and fab. Gotta remember our tracks at 5800 feet, a stock z06 vette is a mid 14 second car up here. You gotta go radical with gas motors to run what i can do with a diesel up here

Yea but anyone can build a LS motor and everyone does, theres no originality in anything anymore. I'm getting this engine on the dirt cheap and doing my own welding and fab. Gotta remember our tracks at 5800 feet, a stock z06 vette is a mid 14 second car up here. You gotta go radical with gas motors to run what i can do with a diesel up here

Like i said 'I give you props for being different' and like you said 'Everybody builds an LS motor because why? 'IT WORKS':whistle: I'm really interested in seeing the outcome of your build keep us informed:thumbsup:

Let me know if anything comes up. Also, I have some good 12V parts in my shop. ATS Bigfoot manifold, custom Industrial Injection wastegated s472(new in box), snow water injection(new), 13mm injection pump, dragon flow injectors, ARP headstuds, Haisley bottom end stud kit(new), heavy duty rod bolts(new), etc...

My 95 1/2ton back half four link truck went 9.4s at 150+ street legal.

102_0897.jpg

102_0900.jpg

I will stick to cars but I do have a slammed F150 that I want to tub and build a stroker for.Was going to be a twin turbo truck but not sure now.Have a 400hp t-bird turbocoupe 2.3 pushing 25 lbs of boost.I have a 67 Merc cyclone GT that I am restoring and building a stroker FE for.Those built cummins are impressive.More boost, bigger injectors, propane injection, intercooler etc.

Welp got the busted 4cyl out, its on its way to scrap, picked up the new powerplant and set her in to get an idea what i'm up against. Interior is almost stripped just have the dash to take out then the fun can begin when the cab comes off.
Lifted trucks are great for putting 1k lbs motors into with a forklift, getting them out without one is somewhat nerve racking
12v.jpg

12v2.jpg

Cut the bowtie off the emblem and added the appropriate one
12v3.jpg

12v4.jpg

12v6.jpg

12v7.jpg

As she sits the oil pan is resting on the crossmember, eyeballing it she should sit down about another 8 inches and back quite a few, gonna ruin some leg room in the cab but hey it dont have to be comfortable just go fast and straight

Looking good man. You could always extend the seating area in the rear of the cab to make up for room lost in the front. You are kindof a big guy to fit in something with no leg room. Looking forward to the next set of pics :)

Back