And justice for whom?

cheferman65

Registered
Woman accused of dragging biker gets eight years

This has been going on for a while locally and with much out cry for stricter penalties towards persons committing such horrific tragedies. Sad and no real good outcome to a violent crime in my opinion. This woman had a very sharp attorney and worked the system very well to his clients advantage. Upon being arrested and processed, the attorney had her immediately placed in psychiatraic care/observation and started a depression/mental illness plea. Douche.

I have always found it curious how when someone kills another in an automobile accident caused by clear and i mean clear negligence and malice that the sentence is almost always so light compared to other types of homicides. just seems that there is a disconnect here

Only 8 years.
Should have been a lot more.

It's like this in the UK.
Mostly people get off lightly when a car is involved in a fatal accident which is the driver fault and they have been drinking or driving dangerously.

Every case has it's own set of circumstances and unless you have a third party witness or video account it can be hard to find the truth these days.

As an ex-drinker and a motorcyclist I am a bit biased but I think penalties should be a lot tougher. There is just no excuse. I think you hit it o the head cheferman65, she had a good lawyer who worked the system from the get go.

It's sad...there are so many cases and judgments that make zero sense to me. So many times the punishment does not fit the crime.

I think the system is so convoluted anymore, and all it boils down to is who you are and how much money you have for a lawyer...it's not so much your crime anymore, it's your ability to pay for representation :banghead: Shoot, even as I type that though, I can think of cases where that wasn't true either.

There's no rhyme or reason...

Well first lets not forget that courts have to abide by rules and proof of evidence. Sadly cases like this seem to make the justice system perverted. Or perhaps prostituted is the better term. There is NO DOUBT that the more money you have for a good attorney, the better your chances are that the attorney knows how to find rules that they will use in whatever way they can. That is what they are paid to do. I have witnessed firsthand how a good attorney, who has a "relationship" shall we say, with the courts, will often fair better than another attorney who steadfastly reads the law and sites it and doesn't have any personal knowledge of the judges they face.

Often times the laws are hard for the judges to find justice with. The rules dictate what the punishment can be. The judge can't impose a penalty that the law doesn't allow for. If they do, the judge will lose his ruling on appeal and it will be like a negative mark on your credit report. Judges shy away from ruling in a manner that will open them up to an appeal.

I am sorry to family of the biker. It was an unjust sentence I agree.

Back