An idea, and possibly only an idea

supernova1987a

Registered
I'm thinking of opening a business designed for motorcycle DIY'ers, and I drew the inspiration from this very forum. 'Busa riders, among others, are very dedicated motorcyclists, and most of us probably wouldn't trust just any mechanic to service, repair or modify our 'Busa. What if someone on the internet is selling DIY kits that allows you to get everything you need to, say, change the rear tire? How many of you would be interested? And what can I sell? I need your feedback on this before I go off and spend a forunte setting this up.

Don't get me wrong guys, this is no advertisement, I'm serious about your inputs.

I'm thinking of opening a business designed for motorcycle DIY'ers, and I drew the inspiration from this very forum. 'Busa riders, among others, are very dedicated motorcyclists, and most of us probably wouldn't trust just any mechanic to service, repair or modify our 'Busa. What if someone on the internet is selling DIY kits that allows you to get everything you need to, say, change the rear tire? How many of you would be interested? And what can I sell? I need your feedback on this before I go off and spend a forunte setting this up.

Don't get me wrong guys, this is no advertisement, I'm serious about your inputs.
I'm guessing here....but not many would be interested .
 Here's why I..."THINK" that....usual disclaimers to follow.

OK, my tire needs replacing . I've done this before,I have the tools, so I go ahead an' do it .
   My friend down the street needs his tire replaced, I do his too .
   A Busa is one of the most expensive bikes around , most of the owners are very well off , so the already have the tools, or they dont mind paying the experts .
   Yer gonna sell a do-it-yerself kit to change a tire...whats that gonna cost...2 or 3 THOUSAND bucks . And then yer gonna mail it to me .  A tire machine, isnt cheap and weighs a couple hundred pounds . Sure U can use irons an rim savers,but there heavy and not real cheap . Then yer gonna need to balance the tire , need a machine and various different weights . Plus you want to put in a new valve , special tool , plus the part . You have to seat the tire on the bead...you gonna mail me a compressor too?
 blah blah blah.....sorry to kick the shid outa yer tire idea .

the same goes for other stuff too...lets say a new chain and sprockets .  Chain breaker/master link rivet tool/lots of wrenches 'cause U gotta take the rear wheel off, and the front plastics and sprocket cover . Then you need chain lube,I like to use digital calipers to line stuff back up . yadda yadda yadda .

You could sell a system for changing the air cleaner , you need an Allen key,and a phillips screwdriver . And maybe this website to ask sum 1 how to do it .  The tools are free , they're under the seat in most bikes .

There's about 20 more negative things I can think of , like somebody hurts themself following yer methods , usin' yer cheap tools , an' sue's yer a$$ for big $ .

I could go on....but I dont want to seem like an a$$hole.
                 OOPS....too late .

Have a good 1.....hope you can make it float...this was just a little food for thought .   No offence to U or yer idea.

hav a good 1.....RSD.

My personal opinion:
I don't even know what you mean by DIY.
I almost never do things to my bike - I might get my hands dirty or break a nail - soon I hope to learn to change the oil, and I DID adjust my own fast idle screw {Wowsers!}, so I'm probably WAY on the far end of the "too busy to screw with it" spectrum, so I would have no interest in whatever it is you are offering usless you did all the work too.
smile.gif

Hey, at least I'm honest with myself here!
biggrin.gif

RSD, do you have to rename everybody?

Don't you find that offensive?

Have you been praticing?
muscle.gif

------------------

About the DIY kit, how much woud it cost? Not that I am interested. I have some tools that came with the bike, but I don't know what to do with them...

I think it would be a lost cause, its a nice idea but a lot of people would rather run to Sears or Home Depot and look at the parts and decide then. Plus if you sold a kit with three wrenches a person may have two of them already. Sorry to burst your bubble on this one. Plus you would have to either pick up all the parts when they are ordered and ship them out or keep a large amount of inventory which would be very costly. Just my 2 cents...

Good iniative, but i think it would be costly. Most riders are gonna run down to the local bike shop or local store to get what they need in regards to the small stuff. As for the major stuff, you are gonna have to look at the wholesale cost and see if you can compete with other established dealers in establishing a profitable and marketable retail price.

You might be better off doing something like ICE or Rhythm and come up with a unique product and sell it. IMHO

naw, it's cool that RubberSideUsed renames people, it just adds character.
smile.gif

hahahhahahahhahahahhaha No, it never occurred to me that DIY was do it yourself. I was serious! Now I'm laffing my butt off. Makes sense NOW rofl
that was my serious input, he wanted, I gave
smile.gif

smile.gif

...not really....do you find it offensive...D3-rang3-3R...

sorry...I'm Disl3xic...

Super,
Not to rain on your parade, but I'd have to agree with most of the other posts here.  When I was 16 I did most of my own work on my little Honda 450.  Not much to loose. I think I paid $500 for the bike.  But now that I have my 'busa I can afford to pay someone else to do the work. + My mechanic knows way more about my bike than I do. (Or at least I would hope so) + If he breaks something, he is responsible. i.e. has the back tire off and knocks the bike over and breaks the fairing, etc.  + It really doesn't matter to me how much $$ I could save with a DIY kit over the years because I simply don't have the time to fool with it.

No disrespect man.  Just MHO, .02, etc.

Hey RSD, surprised you haven't cut up my SN yet.  C'mon man "BSrigley".  Oh well, maybe it's just too easy of a target for ya.  
smile.gif

Well...... If your not talking about mods, then your owners manual for the busa tells you how to take your busa apart piece by peice all the way down to almost the frame and motor.... So a DIY'er is pretty much already given to a busa owner... But a DIY for modifications for example, aftermarket undertail, high mount full exaust systems, DIY trick mods for a busa here and there would be helpful for people, but then again, dont think they would pay for it...... DoH!

I would at the very least check a site out like that. I have found some sites that had some great info plus gave me some creative ideas ... go for it!

RSD whatcha gonna do wit my screener? " Hawaiibusa "

I don't know, it's funny, because I do the majority of work on my old bike, and even some of my friends' bikes. But I've always been under the impression that when I finally step up to the pinnacle, my tinkering days would be mostly over, with the exception of general maintenance. I already have a list of mods that I will make to future Busa 'O' Mine, but I'm probably gonna let the proffessionals do them. New technology kind of intimidates me!
On the other hand, I've pretty much brought my 84 900 ninja back from the dead by myself...this bike was ready for the scrap heap from abuse and neglect when I got it. Took me four months to get it going right, including paint. I've had to turn my carport into a workable space, with special lights and everything! I'm always wishing for a DIY this or that, so maybe it can work. 'Cuz you know, sooner or later, I'm gonna want to tinker...it's unavoidable.

Back