An American history lesson......

delboy

God save the Queen.......
Donating Member
Registered
The Queen has arrived in the US to celebrate the 400th anniversary of the first permanent English settlement at Jamestown, Virginia - although many Americans will still tell you it was in Plymouth, Massachusetts - 13 years later.
So why was Jamestown largely ignored by Americans? It was, after all, the capital of Virginia for almost 100 years.

In truth it was partly due to image and a bad press.

Captain John Smith landing on the Virginia coast in 1607
At the beginning it was a nightmare of a place. They arrived in a drought with a charter from King James to find gold, keep the Spanish out of North America and find a new route to the riches of the East.

But in 1609 they starved and died like flies. There is even documentary evidence to suggest that at one point they ate each other.

So we begat the story of the Pilgrim fathers.

Nineteenth century historians had little respect for the settlers whom they described as lazy and incompetent. In short, Jamestown was a fiasco.

Virginia was also on the wrong side in the civil war. Sitting on top of Jamestown fort are the remains of a confederate gun emplacement.

Historians in the 19th century were looking for a more noble beginning and opted for The Pilgrim Fathers.

"They landed in Plymouth in 1620. They had their women and children, and were determined to forge a new life with religious freedom in a new England."

That read much better than the story of the commercially driven Virginia company with its slaves and tobacco in the background, and reports of violence and cannibalism.

With the history of settlement re-versioned, the Thanksgiving holiday became associated with the ideals of the Pilgrim Fathers and although nothing remains to be seen of Plymouth's original settlement today most Americans will tell you that Plymouth is where it all began.

So some of you "WAS" could be related to me
jump9.gif

jump9.gif

jump9.gif

I often wonder what would have happened if those Pilgrims had shot a Cat instead.

Oops, meant to just think that, sorry!

Shanling on May 03 2007,08:59
I often wonder what would have happened if those Pilgrims had shot a Cat instead.[/Quote]  
rock.gif

Sorry Mark me old cock sparrow WTF does that mean, OK I know I'm going to regret this  
wink.gif

(deldewey @ May 03 2007,07:21) Shanling on May 03 2007,08:59
I often wonder what would have happened if those Pilgrims had shot a Cat instead.

rock.gif

Sorry Mark me old cock sparrow WTF does that mean, OK I know I'm going to regret this  
wink.gif
[/Quote]
ices_rofl.gif

jump9.gif

PM sent!

Yep, she's about 30 minutes away from me...too bad I'm stuck at work...
mad.gif

(VaBusa @ May 03 2007,09:flamethrowing:) Yep, she's about 30 minutes away from me...too bad I'm stuck at work...  
mad.gif
You allow work to control WAAAY too much of your life!!

You need to "Work to live, not live to work"

Now go see the Queen!!!
smileyexhibit.gif

(thrasherfox @ May 03 2007,13:52)
(VaBusa @ May 03 2007,09
flamethrowingsmiley.gif
) Yep, she's about 30 minutes away from me...too bad I'm stuck at work...  
mad.gif
You allow work to control WAAAY too much of your life!!

You need to "Work to live, not live to work"

Now go see the Queen!!!  
smileyexhibit.gif
Considering what I had to do to swing getting time off for the trip to Deal's Gap and the insane schedule I've had thus far this week, I'm not able to go anywhere
sad.gif

Far too many depending on me getting xyz done at the moment...tax billing depends on me getting my work done

(Gunnybusa @ May 03 2007,11:07) Man is there a conspiracy theory for everything?
You obviously havnt heard the consipracy theory about your retirement yet have you
crazy.gif

biggrin.gif

Mark, thank for the PM, I am now the enlightened one
ices_rofl.gif

I don't think Va was on the wrong side of the war at all. We are who we are.

I have a British heritage and my Grandmother still has the Family Crest.

My family's heritage, crest, and so forth are really just momentos from where I come from. I really doubt any of that stuff would have been taken seriously when my Great, great, great Grandfather arrived here though. From my understanding he was a criminal of some sort or another in England. That's what helped him make the decision to move around the Globe. I think I remember that right. I don't know, and I'm not too sure if I really care.

I'm an AMERICAN through and through as far as I'm concerned. I have family that has served in this Country's Military since the beginning. We kicked jolly ol England's butt against all odds and have made a name for ourselves here. I'm proud to be an American.

I'm not sure where the rant came from, but...

Back