American Chopper Build-Off

Ever see a hardley in pro street? or at a grudge race? HELL NO! wonder why?

I'm telling you, it was a joke when we raced back in the 80s. Still is a joke from what I hear. You had to spot Harleys either a full tree or close to it (a slow tree too). What was funny was the HD crowd that came out to cheer for the Harleys at the local drags in STL back in the day. Good group to party with, but they had no concept of how slow HDs were. We'd run them down in the last 100' or so of the 1/4 mile and the HD crowd said we were cheating.

Jr. has been making the same crap for 10 yrs. just adds a nob or hangs a grill on it. Its ugly , fat ,slow , won,t turn. I can,t belive any one likes it.

I disagree. Although JR and his team are not of the same caliber as Jesse James, Arlin Ness, etc., I think Jr does a good job putting together bikes that sell and are somewhat attractive and creative. Jr is a business man, just like his dad. The bikes Jr does aren't intended to perform like production bikes. They are sales tools for him and his clients. He's making some serious dough from the show and his company, must be doing something right.

I watched that train wreck last night. The thing that really got me is that it was nothing more than 1 1/2 hour infomercial. It was one sponsor after the other, Allstate insurance, Skynard pushing a new album (still sound great), tons of promos for Discovery channel shows, etc...

A real build off has deadlines (King Jesse missed his) and you're given a tour of each bike and what went into making it by the builder. Oh yeah, did you notice there wasn't a single "chopper" on the stage. It was one long boring commercial. The way Discovery and the tool bag host were trying to get Jesse and the G.M. guys to fight was embarrassing, same with Paul and Paul Jr. Too bad it isn't about the bikes anymore, I sure every weekend warrior that puts 100 miles a year on their trailer queen loved it.

Not that I have opinion or anything.

I think if they do a bike build off again they should have to implement some kind of performance aspect to the competition. I mean Jr had a great looking piece of art on stage but that's all it was. If you can't drive it a couple hundred miles to a bike week etc. Then its not a real bike, I'd wanna see some 1/4 mile times and some dyno slips. Then you'll see some real bikes!!! Not a bunch of unnecessary gimmicks... A lean mean street machine as it should be

I think if they do a bike build off again they should have to implement some kind of performance aspect to the competition. I mean Jr had a great looking piece of art on stage but that's all it was. If you can't drive it a couple hundred miles to a bike week etc. Then its not a real bike, I'd wanna see some 1/4 mile times and some dyno slips. Then you'll see some real bikes!!! Not a bunch of unnecessary gimmicks... A lean mean street machine as it should be

Yeah... real life riding! how bout a half dozen or so real riders take them out for about two weeks each and grade them. It takes months and years for builders to make their bikes reliable, smooth working machines. I'm guessing as a practical matter all these things are horrible riders. Except maybe the "reasembled" Harley.

Saw the show come on, watched a few min of it, went to on demand and found some rednecks making duck calls. Now that is good tv there. Im a biker I dont need a tv show to tell me whats cool. If I like it it's cool to me.

I looked at this show the way it was intended for... entertainment, and it was ok. Now, Sandra Bullock, Miss Congeniality, the blue dress walk to the moment she fall, that's real entertainment and after all these years it still get my vote. JR bikes... i already forgot.

I disagree. Although JR and his team are not of the same caliber as Jesse James, Arlin Ness, etc., I think Jr does a good job putting together bikes that sell and are somewhat attractive and creative. Jr is a business man, just like his dad. The bikes Jr does aren't intended to perform like production bikes. They are sales tools for him and his clients. He's making some serious dough from the show and his company, must be doing something right.

I agree with sales tools, the people who buy them don,t ride. The guy that came up with the pet rock made money to, but wasn,t good for anything but a joke. Art for arts sake, just hope the gen. public don,t think these are what bikes are all about.

I agree with sales tools, the people who buy them don,t ride. The guy that came up with the pet rock made money to, but wasn,t good for anything but a joke. Art for arts sake, just hope the gen. public don,t think these are what bikes are all about.

I Agree!! And on the bikes. Chrome overkill!!! Jr's was the best overall.

I don't watch the show but I did think Jr, bike looked really cool! and I don't like choppers much. Modern looking classic? I have to hand it to Jr. Jesse's bike, I don't like him personally at all or the dingbat chicks he hangs with, didn't look like a chopper at all. Don't know what the rules are but looked more like a little vmax. Good job fabricating it but he should have entered in a different contest. Sr, bike was a more motorcycle this year but if you want to use a 'springer' front end on a modern looking bike... it doesn't seem to 'work' well (style wise)?

These buildoffs are a joke. It is a popularity contest, not a bike building contest. I first met those OCC guys back before the TV show, when they came to the dealer show with an island display.

Their bikes were crude workmanship. They had their Spiderman theamed bike there, and I arranged to have Larry "Spiderman" McBride, get his leathers out of the Bates display and get his photo taken on that chopper.

As for Jesse. No contest. He is the Boyd Coddington of the custom bike scene. I don't care for his personal life, but the OCC guys could only dream of building bikes that nice.

Did some internet searching and found that Senior's bike came in last in the voting. I'm speculating that it was more Senior himself than the bike that dropped it to 4th place as it really was a very cool and technologically interesting bike. Is it a chopper? Well, no, but that doesn't really matter. The spirit of the show was more of a bike build-off anyway and the OCC machine was, IMHO, the best one. Maybe because it reminded me of my B-King? :laugh:

It was fun to watch on the 'net since I could fast-forward through all of the bluster and bullsh!t and just enjoy the bikes themselves. Best 10 minutes of my night! :thumbsup:

i think jesse shoulda won the first one.. but agree with what was said this time it was a chopper build off which excludeds jesse and sr however both f there bikes were beautiful

Back