American Chopper Build-Off

05 Busa LE

Donating Member
Registered
Tonight I thought I heard Jessie James say something like he wanted to build a bike that's never been done before. So, because he digs a sportsbike's handling and a Harley's power, he decided to combine the two.

Maybe I missed something, but Isn't that what Eric Buell started in the 1980's? And Buell already won the AMA Superbike Championship with that combination, right? Sure sounded strange from someone who lives and breathes bikes.

Just heard him say it after he said how he digs Harley muscle but also dragging his knee in a corner. Then he said it: "No one has built a bike that successfully incorporates both." Sorry, but he needs to check out Eric Buell's stuff beginning in the early 80's, after he graduated from Pitt engineering.

Shocker. Another celebrity spewing crap from his yap. These words of wisdom are coming from a man that cheated on Sandra Bullock. ???

He was on SH .org for a short time, but the abuse he endured from the Hayabusa crowd ran him off:lol:

He did have a busa for a while

Tonight I thought I heard Jessie James say something like he wanted to build a bike that's never been done before. So, because he digs a sportsbike's handling and a Harley's power, he decided to combine the two.

Maybe I missed something, but Isn't that what Eric Buell started in the 1980's? And Buell already won the AMA Superbike Championship with that combination, right? Sure sounded strange from someone who lives and breathes bikes.

Great Busa minds think alike!:thumbsup: I said the same thing to my wife about his remarks!

Not to take anything away from jesse or buel, but I don't think any of the current inline 4 sport bike will be better off with "Harley Power." How is a sportbike to run better with Harley Power???

This is not a Harley Bashing comment so don't take it as one since I like Iron Horses to

After the show last night I voted for Jr's bike. Just more interesting to look at for me. :hide:

I think that all the bikes were nice this year.

I think that OCC's bike looks heavy, and I wondre if they did any finite analysis on that frame and swingarm? It is obvious that Fast and Loud are outclassed in this competition, they do not have the tools, money, or knowhow to compete with the other three. With that said, they made a really nice bike!

I think that I actually like Jr's bike the most, lookswise!

I might be wrong, but I think Harley is still mopping up in PS drags because of the weight advantage they are given over the Jap bikes. There might be other advantages too, like more hp, etc., but it's been a while since I was involved in that. Harley essentially paid-off the NHRA several years ago to sell their bikes as "fast" by cutting a rediculous deal with the NHRA where Harley was given several rediculous advantages over Jap bikes. When I raced back in the 80s we had to spot Harleys nearly half the track it seemed, and we still beat them.

I might be wrong, but I think Harley is still mopping up in PS drags because of the weight advantage they are given over the Jap bikes. There might be other advantages too, like more hp, etc., but it's been a while since I was involved in that. Harley essentially paid-off the NHRA several years ago to sell their bikes as "fast" by cutting a rediculous deal with the NHRA where Harley was given several rediculous advantages over Jap bikes. When I raced back in the 80s we had to spot Harleys nearly half the track it seemed, and we still beat them.
yea I think the rules have changed this year after winning so many races. I think for so long HD has had this reputation of being slow and heavy but they have put a hurtn on quite a few bikes lately.

it wud b interesting 2 c them come out with a sport bike that competes with suzuka and kawi.

Eric Buell did start it but they never truly caught on hence no more Buell motorcycles are being made............supply and demand :whistle: I believe thats what Jesse was trying to say. Buell did it but didnt do it well enough because people weren't clamouring for his bikes and the company went under. Jesse is cocky and an egomaniac but like he said he is the benchmark and nobody can deny his talent and creativity when it comes to fabrication.

These buildoffs are a joke. It is a popularity contest, not a bike building contest. I first met those OCC guys back before the TV show, when they came to the dealer show with an island display.

Their bikes were crude workmanship. They had their Spiderman theamed bike there, and I arranged to have Larry "Spiderman" McBride, get his leathers out of the Bates display and get his photo taken on that chopper.

As for Jesse. No contest. He is the Boyd Coddington of the custom bike scene. I don't care for his personal life, but the OCC guys could only dream of building bikes that nice.

Last edited:
Yeah it is a popularity contest and just because Jesse isnt good at being a husband he wont get the "peoples" vote for being the best bike builder ??? The Fast n Loud boys did a great job on restoring a Harley but they are clearly outclassed in this race, OCC's bike looks like it weighs 1,000 lbs and is uncomfortable to ride..... the ergonomics on it is just all wrong on it. Paul Jr. has a great looking bike and visually I think it wins best looking but his bikes are more show and less go. He does have a very creative mind and he can see things as far as shapes and lines but I think he should take up Jesses offer to go down and learn from him for a week or two.

Harley based super sports bike? Oh...here ya go:

2010-Roehr-1250sc.jpg

Eric Buell did start it but they never truly caught on hence no more Buell motorcycles are being made............supply and demand :whistle: I believe thats what Jesse was trying to say. Buell did it but didnt do it well enough because people weren't clamouring for his bikes and the company went under. Jesse is cocky and an egomaniac but like he said he is the benchmark and nobody can deny his talent and creativity when it comes to fabrication.

I don't think I agree. The Buell didn't catch on in my opinion because HD killed it. People who want to by a Buell don't go to HD shops, so the bike never got to it' market. Also if HD had been willing to make an engine for the Buell that was based on an HD twin but had some o fthe stuff needed to really run - could have been magic. In the end it was HD saying we can make all the money there is to make in motorcycles selling loud chrome bikes so why waste time with sportbikes? You should look at Buells, there is some really cool technology there that I think people are going to steal now that they are gone from the industry.

I can see your point Arch and before I bought my Busa I was very close to buying an Buell 1125r. It did have some great technology and performance wise it wasn't too bad either but I couldn't pull the trigger on it and opted for the busa instead. Like you said where do U go for a buell? If I had a problem or needed work where do I go? Harley shops don't wanna deal with them and the same for streetbike shops. So at the end of the day you are kinda like a man with no country....

Back