American Busa?

I loved my V-4 3rd Generation Magna. Honda stil does the VFR 1200 in a V-4. However not side by side. Still front to back.

I heard Ducatti was going back to a V-4.

I am sorry they never caught on better. I think they are a great power plant.

I loved my V-4 3rd Generation Magna. Honda stil does the VFR 1200 in a V-4. However not side by side. Still front to back.

I heard Ducati was going back to a V-4.

I am sorry they never caught on better.

I think they are a great power plant.

ducati-d16-engine_resize.jpg

So sexy Redbull (not you, the Duc V4!). The V4 is the ultimate motorcycle engine. It naturally combines midrange and screamer power delivery in one engine. Or you can make a big old 1340 chunk and drop the mic! Ha Ha!

Always loved the V4's a Vmax is my next bike. Loved em since 1985. At least that is the first time I saw one.

Always loved the V4's a Vmax is my next bike .

Loved em since 1985 .

At least that is the first time I saw one .

Wait until you put a leg over one of these Aprilia 1100 Tuono's ~ it will make you love riding motorcycles all over again . . .

Just get out & test ride something different .

Motus may survive due to the demand for their motor in other recreational vehicle applications. I find it hard to believe that the motorcycle will sell enough to establish a profitable demand.

Crank power:

Hayabusa = 1340cc @ 197hp 9500 rpm = 0.147 hp/cc

Motus MV4R = 1650cc @ 180hp 8200 rpm = 0.109 hp/cc

So in short per cubic centimeter the Motus puts out 35% less power than the Hayabusa, then there is the additional efficiency loss which will be at the rear wheel due to converting the drive power by 90 degrees through the gear drive.

It is the age old question of whether one substitutes displacement for technology, the former much easier to accomplish.

To me the bike looks a bit old fashioned, hard to justify the price of close to $40,000 for the MV4R, especially when compared to say the Kawasaki Concours at $15,600 with many more features as well as proven reliability.

^^^^
Not a Kawasaki fan, but shoot I can buy two of those and use the cash left over to go on vacation for three months, while you figure out your Motus.

Motus may survive due to the demand for their motor in other recreational vehicle applications. I find it hard to believe that the motorcycle will sell enough to establish a profitable demand.

Crank power:

Hayabusa = 1340cc @ 197hp 9500 rpm = 0.147 hp/cc

Motus MV4R = 1650cc @ 180hp 8200 rpm = 0.109 hp/cc

So in short per cubic centimeter the Motus puts out 35% less power than the Hayabusa, then there is the additional efficiency loss which will be at the rear wheel due to converting the drive power by 90 degrees through the gear drive.

It is the age old question of whether one substitutes displacement for technology, the former much easier to accomplish.

To me the bike looks a bit old fashioned, hard to justify the price of close to $40,000 for the MV4R, especially when compared to say the Kawasaki Concours at $15,600 with many more features as well as proven reliability.

You left out the torque figures of 126 lbs/ft. That's the whole point. This is like a muscle car on 2 wheels. on the road this bike is going to really pull. The big issue is the torque reaction with the crank running axial. In a video on youtube you can see the bike twitch to one side when the guy revs it. Don't know if the reaction is dramatic enough to make things feel strange on the road. This is really not a busa rival IMHO. If you want speed and power absolutely go Busa. More old fashioned looking than a busa?!?!!!!!

^^^^
Not a Kawasaki fan, but shoot I can buy two of those and use the cash left over to go on vacation for three months, while you figure out your Motus.

I'd almost feel sorry for you..... having 2 Cowasaki's in your garage :bounce:

Idk about you but to me this would be considered a Luxury purchase. No different than buying a Harley or a Muscle Car or a boat. You not buying it to save money or be pragmatic. Your buying it cause you can and you want it! This bike isn't for everyone and it shouldn't be.... that's what makes it unique and stand out from the run of the mill bikes you see On a daily basis.

Really points out the amazing thing about the Busa. I have Ohlins and Brembo brakes. 180+ Hp and 110 ft/lbs torque. What can beat that for a reasonable price? The Motus is twice what I have in the Busa. So yeah, it's a luxury thing.

You left out the torque figures of 126 lbs/ft. That's the whole point. This is like a muscle car on 2 wheels. on the road this bike is going to really pull. The big issue is the torque reaction with the crank running axial. In a video on youtube you can see the bike twitch to one side when the guy revs it. Don't know if the reaction is dramatic enough to make things feel strange on the road. This is really not a busa rival IMHO. If you want speed and power absolutely go Busa. More old fashioned looking than a busa?!?!!!!!

The torque is impressive, about 23% more than a Busa, but the Busa has more than enough. It really just means if you ride next to a Motus and he flips the throttle you need to flik the left foot one gear down. I agree these bikes are in a different class, but let's wait a few years and see if they sell.

I really want to like the Motus! High spec running gear, luggage etc. Makes a compelling case. What's missing for me is the modern electronics suite/ technology found on virtually all the mainstream players in the category now. They are basically taking the formula used previously by the likes of Confederate, Ecosse, or even Arch and building a relatively high end kit bike. Where they differ is in creating a Sport tourer, rather than a cruiser/Cafe’, and in the unique engine configuration. The engine was a no brainer; saw a small block in half and you're done. Just about anyone can make a bike like this, even Keanu Reeves recognizes that. But just slapping high end componentry on a bike is no guarantee that the end result will be a winner, that takes development work, the bulk of which is just outsourced, the word partnered comes to mind. Hoping they can make it work.

I really want to like the Motus! High spec running gear, luggage etc. Makes a compelling case. What's missing for me is the modern electronics suite/ technology found on virtually all the mainstream players in the category now. They are basically taking the formula used previously by the likes of Confederate, Ecosse, or even Arch and building a relatively high end kit bike. Where they differ is in creating a Sport tourer, rather than a cruiser/Cafe’, and in the unique engine configuration. The engine was a no brainer; saw a small block in half and you're done. Just about anyone can make a bike like this, even Keanu Reeves recognizes that. But just slapping high end componentry on a bike is no guarantee that the end result will be a winner, that takes development work, the bulk of which is just outsourced, the word partnered comes to mind. Hoping they can make it work.

Can't disagree with anything you said. No electronics means no EURO4 so this is an American bike. The bike apparently is pretty solid generally speaking from reports. But I believe you can't judge a bike in isolation and it's not going to make any comparison tests due to low volume. $40K is pretty steep but some HDs are going for upper $30's so I suppose there is a market.

I'm with you Arch I couldn't disagree more either......

http://www.motusmotorcycles.com/mobile/mstr.html

Lacking Modern technology??? Just because it doesn't have 17 different ride modes and a quick shifter doesn't make this a dinosaur.....

BST Rims
TFT screen
Ohlins suspension front and rear
Trellis chromoly frame
Heated grips/seat
Brembo Monobloc calipers
Heli Bars
Brembo RCS radial master cylinders
Adjustable windscreen

Does any part of this sound like it belongs in a museum?? Hell No!!! These bikes are handmade right here in the USA. Go on BMW's website and build one of their K1600's with all the bells and whistles on it and see what it adds up to. Buy a Harley and deck it out with all the accessories and you'll be right at the same price point....... You are definitely getting your money's worth outta this bike. The suspension, rims, and calipers alone on this bike cost well over $10k.

I'm with you Arch I couldn't disagree more either......

http://www.motusmotorcycles.com/mobile/mstr.html

Lacking Modern technology??? Just because it doesn't have 17 different ride modes and a quick shifter doesn't make this a dinosaur.....

BST Rims
TFT screen
Ohlins suspension front and rear
Trellis chromoly frame
Heated grips/seat
Brembo Monobloc calipers
Heli Bars
Brembo RCS radial master cylinders
Adjustable windscreen

Does any part of this sound like it belongs in a museum?? Hell No!!! These bikes are handmade right here in the USA. Go on BMW's website and build one of their K1600's with all the bells and whistles on it and see what it adds up to. Buy a Harley and deck it out with all the accessories and you'll be right at the same price point....... You are definitely getting your money's worth outta this bike. The suspension, rims, and calipers alone on this bike cost well over $10k.

Practically all of the things (chassis and TFT display notwithstanding) you list are all great parts, but still parts that you could arguably bolt onto any modern motorcycle. The technology comment has to do with more than just quick shifters and ride modes though. For comparison sake let’s look at the most likely comparison to the MSTR, for me that would be the KTM Super Duke GT. The Similarities are actually pretty intriguing (~$10k+ cost delta aside). Both have chromoly chassis, luggage, chain drive, Brembo’s finest, cruise control, adjustable ergonomics etc. But that’s where the dissimilarities come in. The Duke has things like Full ESA, IMU, cornering ABS, Slipper Clutch, Hill hold ETC. These are things that a company the size of KTM can develop because of volume and the ability to spread the cost across multiple platforms. Were this just a race bike comparison then the Gizmos mentioned would likely be a moot point, but these are intended to be Sport Tourers. People tend to want these type of things in the segment.

If Motus can get things moving with these first two models I believe they may be able to add a lot of these goodies going forward. It will likely come down to cash flow. With the boom in Adventure bike sales I would be shocked if they did not leverage this power-train with an offering in that segment in the not too distant future also.

bigotool you are probably right. If you compare the MSTR to the KTM it really struggles to compare, but the GT is a superman among bikes any way you cut it. So then it's back to being American....... Apparently there is a huge demand for the engine though. Maybe the engine sales can fund a little more tech for the bike. They are going to have to out-source some of the manufacturing to get this puppy down to $25K or so - then they can sell a ton of them. Most guys in this market are professional middle agers. A $25K toy is doable. If you think about it, only the BST wheels are out there price wise. The rest of that stuff comes on your typical Ducati S-model for $23-ish right?

Back